Post-Practice Presser - March 31

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

A question that popped into my mind. We've heard quite a bit of praise of the players by the new staff. Is it possible that we may have better athletes than UCF and they (the staff) just aren't quite up to speed yet with what will be required in the B1G? I know Frost has some wide ranging experience including at Oregon and Walters also but I'm curious how we should be taking the praise at this point is n time. I want to accept it and believe it but, due to many prior years of the same sort of talk, I don't want to be severely disappointed  by October.

I get what you are saying - Auburn looked very soft last year.

18 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

A question that popped into my mind. We've heard quite a bit of praise of the players by the new staff. Is it possible that we may have better athletes than UCF and they (the staff) just aren't quite up to speed yet with what will be required in the B1G? I know Frost has some wide ranging experience including at Oregon and Walters also but I'm curious how we should be taking the praise at this point is n time. I want to accept it and believe it but, due to many prior years of the same sort of talk, I don't want to be severely disappointed  by October.

We should have better athletes than UCF, and better athletes than anyone in our division. I believe in recruiting rankings, but the best players in the country still need good coaches. UCF's athletes were coached better, and now we have their coaches.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The Huskers won at least 9 games seven years in a row before the previous, inept staff was installed. The staff that was able to win 9 games every year was also lacking. I have to believe we have top 20 athletes. We just needed a decent staff, and now we have a great staff.

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The Huskers won at least 9 games seven years in a row before the previous, inept staff was installed. The staff that was able to win 9 games every year was also lacking. I have to believe we have top 20 athletes. We just needed a decent staff, and now we have a great staff.

Pelini generally recruited at about the same rank as his teams ended up in the polls. Riley's results were worse than his recruiting ranks. So far Frost has shown that he can achieve much better on field results than his recruiting ranks - and going off his first year of recruiting, he'll recruit just as well or better than Pelini/Riley.

If he can recruit in the top 25 I think we'll see top 15 seasons, and maybe have a really great season occasionally.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 6

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Football coaches know talent when they see it. I am sure Nebraska has a decent amount of talent on the team and comparable (if not better) to UCF.

That's a good point, or it at least brings up a point. Frost may also be better at spotting talented players that aren't necessarily ranked as high as they should be. The ratings aren't perfect. So some of the 2 and 3-star players he brought into UCF may have been better than their rating. Still think we probably have more talent than UCF. And I think Auburn did too. But coaching matters a lot.

Edited by Moiraine
37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We should have better athletes than UCF, and better athletes than anyone in our division. I believe in recruiting rankings, but the best players in the country still need good coaches. UCF's athletes were coached better, and now we have their coaches.

34 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

32 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Pelini generally recruited at about the same rank as his teams ended up in the polls. Riley's results were worse than his recruiting ranks. So far Frost has shown that he can achieve much better on field results than his recruiting ranks - and going off his first year of recruiting, he'll recruit just as well or better than Pelini/Riley.

If he can recruit in the top 25 I think we'll see top 15 seasons, and maybe have a really great season occasionally.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Football coaches know talent when they see it. I am sure Nebraska has a decent amount of talent on the team and comparable (if not better) to UCF.  I bet Frost and staff are pleasantly surprised at the talent they see because they probably thought the roster was a dumpster fire in order to go 4-8 in 2017.  

I agree with all of this and I also believe decent coaching is what we've been lacking. To be honest, I'm trying to find something to temper my expectations. I realize where we've been the last few years but with all this talk, exciting new coaches, etc., I'm having a hard time thinking we won't win 9 or 10 this year. I know that is a bit irrational coming off the pathetic season we had last year but that's where I'm at. So I'm inventing scenarios and questions to help slow my roll.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree with all of this and I also believe decent coaching is what we've been lacking. To be honest, I'm trying to find something to temper my expectations. I realize where we've been the last few years but with all this talk, exciting new coaches, etc., I'm having a hard time thinking we won't win 9 or 10 this year. I know that is a bit irrational coming off the pathetic season we had last year but that's where I'm at. So I'm inventing scenarios and questions to help slow my roll.

I didn't get too excited about the coaches making positive comments about the players.  You know they aren't going to say anything negative or be critical while trying to build relationship with the players.  Notice that they also brought up 4-8 frequently so they probably see player talent that was better then that so they see something mental lacking.  The coaches are probably trying to instill confidence in the players or something like that but still have private thoughts that they need to get better players.  Based on Farmer's comment about the goal being a NC, maybe they've gone too far.  I'd be very surprised with 10 wins. 

25 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

If UCF can go 6-6 in 2016 to 12-0 in 2017...

There is no reason to think that Nebraska can't go 9-3 or 10-2 from 4-8 last season.

Talent wise, Nebraska can go 12-0.  The biggest question is: can they mentally get over the hump?  Logic says probably not in the first season, but there is always the possibility of exceeding expectations.  I actually think a lot of Nebraska fans are more affected by by the previous coaching staff's ineptitude than the players are.  I think this team will surprise almost everyone at how good they actually are.  Not me though, I have a really good idea just how great they can be.  Coach Frost and his coaches have incredibly high expectations for themselves and their players.  So I am 100% buying into Coach Frost's philosophy and expectating great things.  

14 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There is no reason to think that Nebraska can't go 9-3 or 10-2 from 4-8 last season.

Talent wise, Nebraska can go 12-0.  The biggest question is: can they mentally get over the hump?  Logic says probably not in the first season, but there is always the possibility of exceeding expectations.  I actually think a lot of Nebraska fans are more affected by by the previous coaching staff's ineptitude than the players are.  I think this team will surprise almost everyone at how good they actually are.  Not me though, I have a really good idea just how great they can be.  Coach Frost and his coaches have incredibly high expectations for themselves and their players.  So I am 100% buying into Coach Frost's philosophy and expectating great things.  

Agree.

the biggest thing is for the team to start playing with a mentality that they can and will win instead of a fear of failure. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I completely agree with you.  We had enough talent the past couple years to win our Division, but had horrible coaching.  Sometimes you have great coaches who can do a lot with average talent which is what Frost and his staff did at UCF.  If they can continue strong coaching with better talent at Nebraska, we should be in for a good future as Husker fans.

As I listen to the new staff talk, they all seem to have one thing in common:  common sense.  We don't seem to have anyone that is a hothead, that is too soft or interested in playing with the media, or someone that is into theatrics and drama.  They all seem to be very grounded and on the same page, and chemistry on a coaching staff is huge.  If the coaches can support each other and work as a team, I think this will translate to the players and ultimately to the football field on gamedays.

20 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Frost and Co will not accept going 9-3 (just an arbitrary number, but was the benchmark for too long IMHO).  I feel confident the kids that are still here in Sept will not accept that either.  The mentality changes or some kids will have a rough road.  I truly think we will see a HUGE influx of teammates holding one another accountable.

31 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You need to lay off the kool aid.  Did you see the results at the NFL combine?  At best, you could say that NU's best players were slightly below average.

• Plus1 1