Post-Practice Presser - March 31

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not quoting that whole post from my phone. 

No, Nebraska is not in the middle of the division in talent. The recruiting rankings aren't perfect but they aren't far off. I believe we've had the best recruiting rank every single year in our division. At worst we're in 2nd. We just haven't had coaches who use it correctly and coach it to be better.

Yeah @husker84law is off his rocker again.

• Plus1 3

There is no way we do not see a drastic improvement in year one.  No way.  It might not translate directly into significantly more wins, but I think we see a team that's prepared, will fight for 60 minutes, won't quit the first tie they are punched in the mouth and play what actually looks like football.  I also think we will see a staff that understands  the concept of timeouts, clock management, scheme, etc........That last staff was incompetent from the jump.  It showed week in and week out.  Even that staff was able to cobble together 9 wins in 2016..........

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

There is no way we do not see a drastic improvement in year one.  No way.  It might not translate directly into significantly more wins, but I think we see a team that's prepared, will fight for 60 minutes, won't quit the first tie they are punched in the mouth and play what actually looks like football.  I also think we will see a staff that understands  the concept of timeouts, clock management, scheme, etc........That last staff was incompetent from the jump.  It showed week in and week out.  Even that staff was able to cobble together 9 wins in 2016..........

This, and i want to see some intensity coming out of the tunnel.  Last year, i knew how they'd perform by the body language before the game even started.  Gave me a sick feeling most of the time.

9 hours ago, yort2000 said:

I don't think recruiting rankings are the end all of analysis, but from my previous link.

OSU  - 955.51

UM - 874.89

PSU - 779.49

NU - 693.46

MSU - 680.94

Wisky - 639.76

NW - 627.54

Iowa - 593.93

We are much closer in talent to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa than we are to Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.  And, that is exactly how the games have played out since we have been in the Big 10.

Idk, Michigan State and Wisconsin seem to be able to hold their own against Ohio State fairly well.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Defensive backs playing tight coverage against receivers?  Now that's just crazy talk.  A far better strategy is to play 10 yards off...

:lol:

Yeah, seeing that at the start of last season was like "Welp, I know where this is going..."

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Maybe he meant they keep it close.

Take away the 2014 BIG championship game beatdown and the last 5 losses have only been by 1 score.

Do you feel better after a close loss, because I don't. Especially after losing so many in a row.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, brophog said:

Do you feel better after a close loss, because I don't. Especially after losing so many in a row.

You honestly can’t say there is no difference between being down 35 points at half in a home game vs being down 6 with your offense having a chance to win the game in the final minute, even if both end in a loss.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You honestly can’t say there is no difference between being down 35 points at half in a home game vs being down 6 with your offense having a chance to win the game in the final minute, even if both end in a loss.

Should we look at the posts from the 2015 season? Don't remember it being giddy. Frustrating is more the word I'd use.

To be serious for a second:

From an analytical point of view, there's a point here. Scoring margin is one of the biggest predictors in an alternate possession game. So, yes, it matters in a sense. But, if we go back to the comment that started this, it doesn't really accomplish the goal....losing 9 of 10 is still losing. 

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, brophog said:

Should we look at the posts from the 2015 season? Don't remember it being giddy. Frustrating is more the word I'd use.

To be serious for a second:

From an analytical point of view, there's a point here. Scoring margin is one of the biggest predictors in an alternate possession game. So, yes, it matters in a sense. But, if we go back to the comment that started this, it doesn't really accomplish the goal....losing 9 of 10 is still losing. 

We’re talking about a team under Meyer that’s lost 3 conference games in 6 years in probably the best division in all of college football . Our average score against his team has been 60-18. A one score loss this year would mean we more than likely have a competent coach and a team that can play with the big boys. 

• Plus1 4
19 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I do not expect 12-0, but I know it is possible--however unlikely it may seem to the pessimistic crowd.

Not thinking it is likely that we go 12-0 is not a sign of pessimism :lol:

18 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Ohio State was 6-7 the year before some coach named Urban Meyer took them over and then they had a perfect year the next year.  Everyone forgets that they were dominant...they just couldn't do postseason due to Tattoo-gate.

Ohio State had a roster loaded with elite players, most of which had been coached by an elite coaching staff one year prior. 

Can y'all start talking about 2018 spring practice please? There are 8 million other threads about expectations for next year's W-L record.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Not thinking it is likely that we go 12-0 is not a sign of pessimism :lol:

Ohio State had a roster loaded with elite players, most of which had been coached by an elite coaching staff one year prior. 

Can y'all start talking about 2018 spring practice please? There are 8 million other threads about expectations for next year's W-L record.

Back to topic.  I like what I am hearing from the interviews and the tweets.  Take Jackson for example.  I love that fact that not only is he admitting and addressing his lack of physicality, but that the coaches told him this.  This staff, IMO, has clearly defined goals and methods to accomplish said goals. That's refreshing.  The coach is cohesive and for all intensive purposes is running things like a well oiled machine.  I also like comparisons to how NU ran things in the day ie more reps, more people, perfecting the little things, multiplicity in the ways we can execute the same play (not 5 million plays), S&C etc......The players I have seen via social media appear to "pass the eye ball test" as well.