Post-Practice Presser - March 31

7 hours ago, brophog said:

Do you feel better after a close loss, because I don't. Especially after losing so many in a row.

Perception wise, losing 5 in a row by a combined 15 points (just a random example) makes a team look better than losing 5 in row by an average of 50 points.

While it is true that a loss is a loss, consistently losing by 35+ points has to have, at some point, a severe pyschological impact on a team. 

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Perception wise, losing 5 in a row by a combined 15 points (just a random example) makes a team look better than losing 5 in row by an average of 50 points.

While it is true that a loss is a loss, consistently losing by 35+ points has to have, at some point, a severe pyschological impact on a team. 

Do you feel better that Nebraska won 4 games and not 1? 4 is bad, but it could have been much worse. I don't know about you, but as a competitor, that line of thinking is anything but reassuring. When we talk about Nebraska on here, we don't get arguments of reassurance because it could have been worse. Why are we then doing it for another team?

Nebraska did play with Wisconsin for quite a while last year. Actually, that first half offensive performance was one of the best ones against Wisconsin all year. Nebraska did hang with them on the scoreboard 17-17 in the 3rd quarter.

These weren't the narratives for that game. It was about not stopping their running game. AGAIN. Not beating them. AGAIN. It was how Wisconsin is in our way. Riley, for all his faults, at least was competitive on the scoreboard with Wisconsin. 2015 and 2016 were one score games. How come I don't recall anyone mentioning the importance of that last year? How come Nebraska losing 6 of 7 to Wisconsin is important, but we're downplaying Wisconsin losing 9 of 10 to Ohio St. Riley was more competitive on the scoreboard in his 3 meetings with Wisconsin than they've been in their last 3 with Ohio St.

Well, no matter how we describe Wisconsin against Ohio St, they are in their way. Ohio St is the biggest obstacle to them hanging conference championship banners, which they haven't done since 2012, despite their divisional success. 2012 being noteworthy in that Ohio St was ineligible for postseason play, in Urban Meyer's first year.  They don't get a banner for saying, "at least we kept it closer than Nebraska". No, the narrative is Wisconsin loses to Ohio St, AGAIN. Do that 6 in a row and 9 out of 10 and see how reassuring simply not getting blown out is. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Can y'all start talking about 2018 spring practice please? 

That's hard, because we obviously haven't seen anything and the coaches and players can only answer the same questions so many different ways. They're, understandably, repeating themselves. So, Nebraska football is exciting right now, but difficult to discuss.

What I'm doing is not watching Nebraska football at all, but rewatching UCF football games. Puts the words spoken into a practical meaning. Really rare opportunity to do this with a new staff since they all came over. What I find every time I rewatch one of their games is a new position to appreciate. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, brophog said:

Do you feel better that Nebraska won 4 games and not 1? 4 is bad, but it could have been much worse. I don't know about you, but as a competitor, that line of thinking is anything but reassuring. When we talk about Nebraska on here, we don't get arguments of reassurance because it could have been worse. Why are we then doing it for another team?

Nebraska did play with Wisconsin for quite a while last year. Actually, that first half offensive performance was one of the best ones against Wisconsin all year. Nebraska did hang with them on the scoreboard 17-17 in the 3rd quarter.

These weren't the narratives for that game. It was about not stopping their running game. AGAIN. Not beating them. AGAIN. It was how Wisconsin is in our way. Riley, for all his faults, at least was competitive on the scoreboard with Wisconsin. 2015 and 2016 were one score games. How come I don't recall anyone mentioning the importance of that last year? How come Nebraska losing 6 of 7 to Wisconsin is important, but we're downplaying Wisconsin losing 9 of 10 to Ohio St. Riley was more competitive on the scoreboard in his 3 meetings with Wisconsin than they've been in their last 3 with Ohio St.

Well, no matter how we describe Wisconsin against Ohio St, they are in their way. Ohio St is the biggest obstacle to them hanging conference championship banners, which they haven't done since 2012, despite their divisional success. 2012 being noteworthy in that Ohio St was ineligible for postseason play, in Urban Meyer's first year.  They don't get a banner for saying, "at least we kept it closer than Nebraska". No, the narrative is Wisconsin loses to Ohio St, AGAIN. Do that 6 in a row and 9 out of 10 and see how reassuring simply not getting blown out is. 

I'm with you on this one.

10 hours ago, brophog said:

It's completely illogical to me to have the same attitude about a 1 point loss in a well played, well coached game to a good team than a 40 point loss to a bad team that we weren't in from the beginning.  I hate losing no matter what.  In both situations, I would be very disappointed and not content.  But, the attitude about where the program is and the leadership of the program and players would be very different.

As for Wisconsin, of course I wish Nebraska would be in the position they are having the divisional success.  But, that doesn't mean I would then be perfectly content not dream of them taking the next step and knocking off OSU as the top dog in the conference.  Right now, if I were given the choice, I would obviously prefer Nebraska to be in OSU's position.  But...you know what????  If Nebraska were in OSU's position, I still wouldn't be perfectly content because there is always room for improvement.  OSU hasn't had Alabama's level of success on the national stage.

In anything, when you have success, you want more and bigger success.  That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the steps along the way and appreciate the team.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, brophog said:

That’s a rather black and white way too paint a much more complex picture. Take the 2014 B1G championship game. The narrative was that tOSU DOMINATED that game which ended up catapulting them into the playoffs and an eventual NC. Does a one score win do the same? Or take Bo’s last game against Wisconsin (or he’ll all of them except his only win). The narrative was how Nebraska got embarrassed on prime time TV and Gordon set the single game rushing record, albeit just for a week. Hell Melvin Gordon is still running untouched.

@brophog, my point was not to get bogged down in a conversation of condolences and feeling better about a close loss vs a blow-out loss.

My point was: Nebraska, according to most recruiting services, has consistently out-recruited Wisconsin for the past 6-7 years at least.

And yet, they hang incredibly tough with Ohio State while we get taken behind the woodshed.  To me, that points to bad coaching and lack of player development moreso than deficiencies in "talent."

On 3/31/2018 at 6:39 PM, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree with all of this and I also believe decent coaching is what we've been lacking. To be honest, I'm trying to find something to temper my expectations. I realize where we've been the last few years but with all this talk, exciting new coaches, etc., I'm having a hard time thinking we won't win 9 or 10 this year. I know that is a bit irrational coming off the pathetic season we had last year but that's where I'm at. So I'm inventing scenarios and questions to help slow my roll.

I wonder how much of a boost we get from Frost bringing his entire staff? Although rarely talked about, it must be difficult for a head coach to get his staff moving in the same direction. Not only do we avoid this problem, this staff had the luxury of turning around a bad team 2 years ago. It reminds me of a group of consultants that turnaround bad companies. They have done it before, and the have worked together. I don't think I have ever heard of a HC being hired and bringing the entire staff. This is the one area that is raising my expectations. I already see the impact in the recruiting.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I wonder how much of a boost we get from Frost bringing his entire staff? Although rarely talked about, it must be difficult for a head coach to get his staff moving in the same direction. 

It supercharges the entire process by at least a year. You're not having to coach the coaches before they can coach the players (this often overlaps). 

The real questions on this decision to bring everyone won't come until year 2/3, when a "normal" staff would have caught up. No question it's a big advantage year 1.