Huskers Get All-Big XII Transfer from Texas

20 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I guess I'm curious how she is eligible to play immediately?  Don't they have the same transfer rules as men's sports?

Not exactly but I'm not sure what the rules are exactly.  Apparently if the school you're transferring from releases the player they can play right away. 

It was kind of a big to-do when LSU wouldn't release Brianna Holman when she transferred here so she had to sit a year.  Ended up working out well for the Huskers but it seems like it's the usual practice for the player to be eligible immediately.

21 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I guess I'm curious how she is eligible to play immediately?  Don't they have the same transfer rules as men's sports?

I had the same question a few days ago about how Jess Shepard was able to transfer and play immediately at Notre Dame.  Was listening to 590 yesterday and one of the guys mentioned there is a hardship waver that can be applied for (ladies only perhaps) and if the previous school is ok with the transfer it can happen. Not sure what qualifies as a hardship (financial perhaps).  The radio personality said whenever they have contacted the NCAA they get shut down because of privacy rules.

15 hours ago, huKSer said:

Any reason why she went to Texas for just one year.  I mean other than its Texas

She committed to Texas as a Sophomore. Didn't know what was important to her then, and when she did, she realized it wasn't going to be there for her at Texas.

Cook recruited her out of High School, but since she'd already committed she didn't even take a trip to Lincoln.  Now that she has, she's blown away. 

17 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I had the same question a few days ago about how Jess Shepard was able to transfer and play immediately at Notre Dame.  Was listening to 590 yesterday and one of the guys mentioned there is a hardship waver that can be applied for (ladies only perhaps) and if the previous school is ok with the transfer it can happen. Not sure what qualifies as a hardship (financial perhaps).  The radio personality said whenever they have contacted the NCAA they get shut down because of privacy rules.

According to Sipple this am, not every sport has the sit out rule. Football and men’s and women’s b-ball do, which is what makes Jess Shepard’s situation interesting, but many other sports, volleyball is one, don’t as long as they are released from their scholarship by their old school. Holman wasn’t released by LSU, which is why she had to sit out.

BTW, it sounds like there are some things afoot with Texass' volleyball program--Redshirt Freshman Olivia Zelon also left the program...and burned some bridges as she left with this blog post:

https://oliviazelon.com/2018/02/22/why-walking-away-was-the-best-decision/

Considering Texass is down to a roster of 10 (prior to n00bs joining) they're going to be up against it if the injury bug hits them. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

BTW, it sounds like there are some things afoot with Texass' volleyball program--Redshirt Freshman Olivia Zelon also left the program...and burned some bridges as she left with this blog post:

https://oliviazelon.com/2018/02/22/why-walking-away-was-the-best-decision/

Considering Texass is down to a roster of 10 (prior to n00bs joining) they're going to be up against it if the injury bug hits them. 

Interesting find. It's weird to me that they're losing so many players, starters no less.  Every team has attrition (Hunter Atherton being Nebraska's this year), but when Nebraska has lost players it's usually not been girls who would start. 

This line from Zelon is the action item:

From this whole experience I have learned a huge lesson – get out of toxic situations. Do things that you enjoy. Do things that make you happy. And lastly, wake up each morning excited for the day. Because that’s what I have now, and it rocks.

The last time we lost a major starter on the order of Lexi Sun for Texas was when Rachel Holloway left after the 2007 season and basically just quit volleyball.  Atherton leaving is a blow to the program, but she likely wouldn't have started (and there were other issues) and she wasn't nearly as good as Holloway. 

The question with Zelon is, was it toxic because of her, because of personalities that didn't mesh, or did she just perceive it to be toxic?  Sun hasn't said a word about why she left Texas.  One kid leaving may mean it just wasn't the right fit for her.  Two leaving may be more.  Hard to say.  We lost four girls before the 2015 season started, and it looked like the program was in for a rough year.  Cook turned that into a National Championship team.