Jamal Lord vs Taylor Martinez

Jamal Lord vs Taylor Martinez. Who do you take?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, Toe said:

You always wonder what an alt-2004 with Solich would've looked like. Probably safe to say Joe Dailey would've been a better fit for that offense than he was in Callahan's, but would he have even been up to par? He didn't exactly set the world on fire after he transferred, though he had a knack for signing with coaches who were on their way out...

Dailey played as a true freshman in around seven or eight games.  He showed glimpses as to where we were headed offensively.  I was at the A&M game in 03'.  I was impressed with his play.  With regards to the 03' season, I always liked the quote from the World Herald: "You had the defense that hardly budged. The offense that sometimes barely moved."  We blew a 24-14 lead against Mizzou going into the fourth quarter.  The defense got tired.  The offense managed negative yardage for the entire fourth quarter, and they turned the ball over.  Against KState, Lord only completed 8 of his 26 passes while also throwing 2 INTs.  We were tied at halftime with KState only to get once again blown out in the fourth quarter because the defense was exhausted and the offense was inept.  Against Texas, we couldn't run the ball at all.  We had 53 yards rushing on 40 attempts.  Lord completed 5 of his 15 passes while throwing an INT.

Dailey could have been successful in the right scheme.  If he would have been used similar to Chase Daniels at Mizzou, I think he would have been successful.  He didn't have blazing speed, and he wasn't very tall.  However, he could scramble enough to keep defenses honest and was fairly accurate on the short roll out throws.  The 03' season was fairly similar to the 09' season.  A stout defense was negated by an inept offense.  In 03' we finished the season with the 11th ranked defense and the 83rd ranked offense.  In 09', we finished the season with the 7th ranked defense and the 99th ranked offense.    

On 4/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, junior4949 said:

He didn't have blazing speed, and he wasn't very tall. However, he could scramble enough to keep defenses honest and was fairly accurate on the short roll out throws. 

OT, but other than the height, I think that describes Potatoes O'Brien right now: more of an occasional scrambler than a true running QB.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, junior4949 said:

Dailey played as a true freshman in around seven or eight games.  He showed glimpses as to where we were headed offensively.  I was at the A&M game in 03'.  I was impressed with his play.  With regards to the 03' season, I always liked the quote from the World Herald: "You had the defense that hardly budged. The offense that sometimes barely moved."  We blew a 24-14 lead against Mizzou going into the fourth quarter.  The defense got tired.  The offense managed negative yardage for the entire fourth quarter, and they turned the ball over.  Against KState, Lord only completed 8 of his 26 passes while also throwing 2 INTs.  We were tied at halftime with KState only to get once again blown out in the fourth quarter because the defense was exhausted and the offense was inept.  Against Texas, we couldn't run the ball at all.  We had 53 yards rushing on 40 attempts.  Lord completed 5 of his 15 passes while throwing an INT.

Dailey could have been successful in the right scheme.  If he would have been used similar to Chase Daniels at Mizzou, I think he would have been successful.  He didn't have blazing speed, and he wasn't very tall.  However, he could scramble enough to keep defenses honest and was fairly accurate on the short roll out throws.  The 03' season was fairly similar to the 09' season.  A stout defense was negated by an inept offense.  In 03' we finished the season with the 11th ranked defense and the 83rd ranked offense.  In 09', we finished the season with the 7th ranked defense and the 99th ranked offense.    

My memory is fuzzy: did Dukes transfer before 2003?

On 4/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

Lord is one of the most underrated players I've every seen.

I'd say Lord is one of the most over-rated players on Huskerboard. 

Those 2002-2003 seasons were hard to watch. Lord ran for some big numbers, but at the expense of a successful offense. He called his own number a lot, and got a lot of yards on broken plays when the designed play went wrong. That's good playground ball, but not great quarterbacking. He was a 47% passer with a worse interception ratio than Martinez or Armstrong. 

His numbers dropped off in his Senior year, and the team was better. Helluva athlete in the wrong position. I'd take Martinez, Armstrong and maybe Zac Lee at quarterback over Jamal Lord.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:47 AM, dvdcrr said:

It would have been awesome to see what Dr. Tom and Turner Gill could have done with T mart.  Can you say Heisman?

Well Taylor was Nebraska's all-time total offense leader as it was. I think the same Taylor Martinez would have really benefitted from a Dr. Tom defense. 

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'd say Lord is one of the most over-rated players on Huskerboard. 

Those 2002-2003 seasons were hard to watch. Lord ran for some big numbers, but at the expense of a successful offense. He called his own number a lot, and got a lot of yards on broken plays when the designed play went wrong. That's good playground ball, but not great quarterbacking. He was a 47% passer with a worse interception ratio than Martinez or Armstrong. 

His numbers dropped off in his Senior year, and the team was better. Helluva athlete in the wrong position. I'd take Martinez, Armstrong and maybe Zac Lee at quarterback over Jamal Lord.

I always wondered what Zac Lee would have done if he played his senior year.

TMart.

Unless others forgot, in 40+ games he completed roughly 90 out of 100 on bubble screens. Cut it down to half of that and he was really mid 50%.

He also had Helu, Rex and Ameer as co-running threats to count for.

He didn't know how to get tackled when momentum ended in the open field. It was so awkward and strange, kind of like his throwing motion too.

He was also one of the ncaa's best homerun threats in decades. Very exciting in space, it was speed blasting through defenses, but made it look easy.

His passing was ok his JR year, and leading those comebacks were exciting and incredible.

Idk Just calling it as I saw it. Very good player.

3 hours ago, admo said:

He didn't know how to get tackled when momentum ended in the open field. It was so awkward and strange, kind of like his throwing motion too.

Both of these things are, in my opinion, overblown and mostly only remembered from his sophomore year. His throwing motion was never great, but his freshman, junior, and brief senior seasons it looked fine. It was only when his body was compensating for his turf toe that he really looked super ugly with that back shoulder dip.

As far as his ability to be tackled, that was only after the coaches coached him not to take contact, and he could never quite figure it out mentally, and he eventually kind of gave up on it. He used to actually have some agility as well. His 80 yard run against Washington included a really nice juke in open space, for example, and he had a lot of runs his freshman and junior years where he would spin out of at least 1-2 tackles.

• Plus1 1
On 4/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, Landlord said:

Both of these things are, in my opinion, overblown and mostly only remembered from his sophomore year. His throwing motion was never great, but his freshman, junior, and brief senior seasons it looked fine. It was only when his body was compensating for his turf toe that he really looked super ugly with that back shoulder dip.

As far as his ability to be tackled, that was only after the coaches coached him not to take contact, and he could never quite figure it out mentally, and he eventually kind of gave up on it. He used to actually have some agility as well. His 80 yard run against Washington included a really nice juke in open space, for example, and he had a lot of runs his freshman and junior years where he would spin out of at least 1-2 tackles.

Yep. I don't think Martinez lost any speed after the injury, as he continued to make some legendary runs, but when the coaches moved him to game-manager and injury-avoider mode, it screwed with his natural instinct. 

My favorite T-Mart game is still that 2010 shootout against Okie State.  I mean that game was just flat out F-U-N to watch.  Okie State was absolutely loaded on offense that year with Weeden at QB, Blackmon at WR and Kendall Hunter at RB plus you had Joseph Randle getting touches at RB and Josh Cooper at WR who was really underrated.  That Okie State team was really good that year with their only other loss being a 6 point game against OU in Bedlam.