Grill and/or Smoker Recommendations

For grilling, a good quality gas grill will be great and last for years. I have a nice Weber.  Put wood chips in aluminum foil pouch and set next to burner. Adds a bit of smoke flavor to anything grilled. 

For the smoker, I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. Uses charcoal and works great. It is a good compromise between the purist BBQ snob offset stick burner and the set it and forget it Traegers. 

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

@GSG  I think it’s safe to say, you are embarking on an adventure where you will end up with about 5 outdoor cooking devices and people will be happy that you do. 

Enjoy!!!

just understand it’s an addiction. 

And....if you boil ribs, terrorists win. 

Who would boil ribs?!?!

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

@GSG  I think it’s safe to say, you are embarking on an adventure where you will end up with about 5 outdoor cooking devices and people will be happy that you do. 

Enjoy!!!

If GSG boils any ribs I will personally make the 30 minute trip to slap him upside the head.:thumbs

Low and slow my friend, low and slow.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How to immediately lose credibility...brought to you by Al Queda err grouprecipes.com :facepalm:

The only thing it is okay to boil in conjunction with grilling (correct me if I'm wrong) is to boil brats in beer with onions before grilling them. It gives them a slight beer flavor and helps prevent them from splitting open while grilling. Then pour off some of the liquid, add butter and reduce until the onion is translucent and tender. Makes a great brat topping.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 10:27 AM, knapplc said:

I have a Weber and I like it a lot, but even using the extra "sear" burner, it doesn't get hot enough to really crisp up steaks.  Maybe I'll have to try the cast iron pan method on the side burner.

There are little pans that you can put directly on the grill to sear stuff. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPPZ6W/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=sousvideevery-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000CPPZ6W&linkId=81778f34426f92a1134ca598fa74bb5f

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations and sharing your experiences. I think I +1ed every post in here.

I went with the Camp Chef Woodwind with the sear box on the side. Came with a cover, free shipping, and a bag of their "Competition Blend" of pellets which is maple, hickory, and cherry.

Supposed to be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can use it this weekend.

Has anyone made their own jerky before?

• Plus1 1
On 4/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Enjoy!!!

I was thinking about your rib comment the other day. I remember my grandmother would put a 1/4 rack of ribs in her pressure cooker for her dinners sometimes. Is that allowed? :P

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Many, many years ago I worked in the Smokehouse at Super Saver. Made half a metric asston of jerky. Won some awards for it, too.

Do you remember the recipes or anything? I've found a few so far that sound good