Zac Taylor vs Tommy Armstrong

Zac Taylor vs Tommy Armstrong  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

Tommy gave us four solid, respectable years, but wasn't much better his senior year compared to his freshman year.

One of the biggest knocks against Armstrong, IMO. T-Mart at least showed some real improvement as a passer by his junior year.

I think Zac Taylor and Ganz were the 2 best overall QBs we've had since Crouch.  We had missed opportunities with each - I think both were good enough to had led us to a NC if they had the right supporting cast.  Ganz was one year removed from the SUH led best D of that era and Zac needed more help on the OL and on the D.  Choosing between the 2 of them would be very difficult.  This old article ranked Ganz 6th all time and Taylor 7th all time.   However the article pics Lord as # 12 ahead of TM @ # 18.  They also rank Joe Daily ahead of TM and ahead of Quinn, and Brook which is a huge mistake.   So take it wt a grain of salt.  The author doesn't know NU football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/622010-big-red-reasoning-and-signal-calling-ranking-the-top-20-nebraska-quarterbacks

15 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Taylor all day long and it’s not even close.

Like I said, it depends on the offense. 

Do you really want Taylor running Pelini's offense? Solich's? Frost's? 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I think Zac Taylor and Ganz were the 2 best overall QBs we've had since Crouch.  We had missed opportunities with each - I think both were good enough to had led us to a NC if they had the right supporting cast.  Ganz was one year removed from the SUH led best D of that era and Zac needed more help on the OL and on the D.  Choosing between the 2 of them would be very difficult.  This old article ranked Ganz 6th all time and Taylor 7th all time.   However the article pics Lord as # 12 ahead of TM @ # 18.  They also rank Joe Daily ahead of TM and ahead of Quinn, and Brook which is a huge mistake.   So take it wt a grain of salt.  The author doesn't know NU football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/622010-big-red-reasoning-and-signal-calling-ranking-the-top-20-nebraska-quarterbacks

To be fair, that list is from 2011. 

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

yes, I said it was old.  However, most of the QBs ranked are of course pre-2011 and includes the discussion of Lord, Taylor.  Tommie Armstrong came afterwards. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

You could do that when comparing any pro style to a spread style. Ie) That’s like saying who would you rather have between Tom Brady and Colin Kaepernick. 

I think you have to approach this question with who was the better qb is in the style of offense they ran or which they are the best fit in. When you do that the answer is clearly Zac Taylor. 

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

You could do that when comparing any pro style to a spread style. Ie) That’s like saying who would you rather have between Tom Brady and Colin Kaepernick. 

I think you have to approach this question with who was the better qb is in the style of offense they ran or which they are the best fit in. When you do that the answer is clearly Zac Taylor. 

I would actually take Tommy; I like a running threat from my QB position, and Zac ran like a punter. 

That being said, Taylor is one of my all-time favorites, and is far too forgotten in these discussions, simply because of the coach he played for. 

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I would actually take Tommy; I like a running threat from my QB position, and Zac ran like a punter. 

That being said, Taylor is one of my all-time favorites, and is far too forgotten in these discussions, simply because of the coach he played for. 

Would you take Kaep over Brady because he’s a better runner?

On 4/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, Dilly Dilly said:

Taylor was one tough SOB, and TA had the heart of a lion.  Can't bring myself to choose one.

Taylor was Rocky Balboa - the O-line let so many guys get to him every game - he had to be physically beat up, but Taylor kept getting up time and again trying to make something.  Imagine him with a good O-line!  Imagine him without C.

Probably the toughest player, with the best "can do" attitude I've seen at Nebraska.  Even though his teams didn't produce championships, in my book he earned his right to stand with the most elite of players ever to wear the N.

Edited by River-runner
7 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

No. You obviously didnt comprehend what I said...

Yes, you did. It's a basic SAT comparison question: you alluded to Armstrong vs. Taylor as Kaepernick vs. Brady. 

Anyways, this conversation is stupid, and I immediately regret wading into it. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Yes, you did. It's a basic SAT comparison question: you alluded to Armstrong vs. Taylor as Kaepernick vs. Brady. 

Anyways, this conversation is stupid, and I immediately regret wading into it. 

Haha... wow. This obviously went way over your head. I, too, regret wading into it.