Comey, His Book Release, and Perjury Traps

I was reading recently that Comey is putting himself in a horrible position by releasing his book, going on a book tour, and giving public interviews, in the midst of investigations into his conduct. It sounds like he and McCabe are in disagreement about key facts and the IG seems to have concluded that each was less than forthright about certain things. Comey also gave classified documents to his law professor buddy so he could leak them so Comey could get Mueller appointed to investigate Trump.

So Comey is already looking bad, seems to have lied, and seems to have removed classified documents from the FBI and then leaked them. So now he’s going to go on a public tour talking about all of this, probably lying some more, and drawing more attention to himself and his conduct? That seems remarkably stupid to me.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I was reading recently that Comey is putting himself in a horrible position by releasing his book, going on a book tour, and giving public interviews, in the midst of investigations into his conduct. It sounds like he and McCabe are in disagreement about key facts and the IG seems to have concluded that each was less than forthright about certain things. Comey also gave classified documents to his law professor buddy so he could leak them so Comey could get Mueller appointed to investigate Trump.

So Comey is already looking bad, seems to have lied, and seems to have removed classified documents from the FBI and then leaked them. So now he’s going to go on a public tour talking about all of this, probably lying some more, and drawing more attention to himself and his conduct? That seems remarkably stupid to me.

Thoughts?

Please take the time to read this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/07/10/trump-accuses-james-comey-of-breaking-the-law-based-on-a-misleading-fox-news-report/?utm_term=.6701ad571bae

Comey wrote 9 memos. Some of them had classified information on them. He gave one memo, without classified information on it, to "his law professor buddy."

During his testimony, Comey refers to the memo he gave to his friend in the singular — “the memo.” There’s no indication that he asked that one of the classified memos be leaked. In fact, his testimony — under oath, remember — was the opposite.

From Fox & Friends:

Correction: Comey's memos did not have top secret info. The report says half were classified at secret or confidential level, not top secret

If you want to continue being anti-Comey, run with this instead:

FBI agents sign an agreement prohibiting unauthorized disclosures of certain types of material. The Hill’s report notes that the FBI apparently considers Comey’s memos to have been government documents, not his own personal memos as he asserted on Capitol Hill.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

There was one line in McCabe's statement last night that I immediately flagged because he said that he had authority to do this and he conferred with the director. 

The director at that time was James Comey. Now the problem there is that James Comey said under oath that he never leaked information and never approved a leak. So if the Inspector General believes this was a leak to the media, it raises serious questions about Comey's previous testimony and could get him into serious trouble.

Comey has already been accused, as you know, of leaking information through a friend at Columbia Law School. After he left he removed material from the FBI that the FBI material that the FBI has indicated, I think correctly so, that was FBI material, not subject to being removed from the bureau. Some of that appears to be classified. So Comey, himself, is not out of the woods on this and McCabe's statement doesn't help his position any.

The quotes are from Jonathan Turley, a law professor at GWU, who has been a frequent cable news guest to opine in these topics.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/03/18/turley_comey_may_have_lied_to_congress_under_oath_leaking_mccabe_firing_hurts_case.html

24 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What did Comey lie about, specifically?

What classified documents did Comey give to someone to leak, specifically?

Thanks in advance.

There are conflicting accounts about how many of the memos Comey gave to his friend to leak to the press to try to get a Special Prosector appointed. Some stories say one, others say four. I’ll need to dig into it. Four of the memos seem to have been marked classified. So if he leaked four of the seven, then at least one was marked classified. But regardless of whether the memos were marked classified, the information within was clearly classified and also government property.

As it turns out, however, the information leaked by Comey was classified, and the records in his possession were clearly government records which Comey was not authorized to possess or distribute. How do we know the information was classified? Because the FBI itself told Congress as much. In fact, the information leaked by Comey was so sensitive that members of Congress were not even allowed to read the memos he wrote outside of a Special Compartmented Information Facility, or SCIF, a highly secure room or area designed to prevent classified information consumed within from being improperly distributed.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/24/cnn-still-hasnt-corrected-false-story-on-comeys-classified-memos/

This is somewhat meta, but I do find it funny we can this worked up about whether or not Comey had the authority to leak this information (which was arguably classified) but we've already forgotten that we have a president that reportedly straight up blabbed highly classified info to Russians IN the Oval Office (which subsequently REALLY ticked off an important ally, Israel, as it was their intel and endangered their sources). Conservative America certainly isn't upset about that. I believe the defense is along the lines of "The President can't reveal classified info because he can unilaterally decide to unclassify it whenever he wants."

I just want people held to the same standard. 

• Plus1 3

Also, given the title of the thread includes the term "perjury trap":

That is a stupid argument. Perjury trap is a stupid term people have invented because they know Trump can't stop himself from lying and contradicting himself all the time. 

If you don't lie, there's no perjury trap. Tell the truth. Mueller is an honorable man. He's the only man to ever receive a waiver to exceed his term limit as FBI director. And he's a Republican. He's not looking to bait Trump into lying. Believing that would necessarily require one to believe there is actually an anti-Trump deep state that just wants Trump taken down out of spite.

If Trump tells the truth, he'll be fine. That said, I see why his legal team and friends are desperately trying to prevent him from being interviewed by Mueller. Trump lies so frequently and with such disregard that I'm not even sure he realizes what the truth is anymore.

• Plus1 4
11 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is somewhat meta, but I do find it funny we can this worked up about whether or not Comey had the authority to leak this information (which was arguably classified) but we've already forgotten that we have a president that reportedly straight up blabbed highly classified info to Russians IN the Oval Office (which subsequently REALLY ticked off an important ally, Israel, as it was their intel and endangered their sources). Conservative America certainly isn't upset about that. I believe the defense is along the lines of "The President can't reveal classified info because he can unilaterally decide to unclassify it whenever he wants."

I just want people held to the same standard. 

Regarding the bold, underlined,italics:  This should be restated that Trump America certainly isn't upset about that.      I for one am very upset about it and said so in a post someplace buried in HB.  It was an early sign of his incompetence or maybe his 'too casual' attitude towards the Russians. 

One person's wrong - Trump's - doesn't justify the other's - Comey's.  One can throw the Clintons in there, and a host of other current and former govt leaders regardless of party.   

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Also, given the title of the thread includes the term "perjury trap":

That is a stupid argument. Perjury trap is a stupid term people have invented because they know Trump can't stop himself from lying and contradicting himself all the time. 

If you don't lie, there's no perjury trap. Tell the truth. Mueller is an honorable man. He's the only man to ever receive a waiver to exceed his term limit as FBI director. And he's a Republican. He's not looking to bait Trump into lying. Believing that would necessarily require one to believe there is actually an anti-Trump deep state that just wants Trump taken down out of spite.

If Trump tells the truth, he'll be fine. That said, I see why his legal team and friends are desperately trying to prevent him from being interviewed by Mueller. Trump lies so frequently and with such disregard that I'm not even sure he realizes what the truth is anymore.

Good post.  All true - if Trump tells the truth - no issues (unless the truth is illegal!).  I agree - the legal time is working overtime to keep our foot in mouth president from being in the position where what he does naturally will occur - lie.  So in that way it will seem like an automatic "Perjury Trap' because Trump is an automatic on play loose with the facts.

• Plus1 3