Kenya Hunter to UConn

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Not sure why Moos is prolonging the inevitable with Miles.

I don't know if there's enough there to actually fire Miles after the season he had. Moos has quite a bit of cache after Frost, and I'm not sure he want to spend it on Miles when he might need it for Erstad.

If Miles bottoms out next year, he's gone. 

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Not sure why Moos is prolonging the inevitable with Miles.

He doesn't want to have fired a winning coach, the same mistake made with firing 9-win football coaches.  Miles was all set to be released after last season, but then the team got hot & won a near-school record number of games. 

"IMO"

• Plus1 4

Yeah, there's no reason for Moos to use up any political capital on whacking Miles a year early when Miles will do it for him.  Sucks for guys like Roby and the others who are essentially wasting a year.  I'm not sure if Moos will have to use up much capital if Erstad bottoms out, especially if he can get a guy like Will Bolt from the DVH days.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know if there's enough there to actually fire Miles after the season he had. Moos has quite a bit of cache after Frost, and I'm not sure he want to spend it on Miles when he might need it for Erstad.

I'm not a baseball guy so it doesn't bother me much, but Erstad has the worst coaching win % since 1977 at Nebraska. Miles is sitting just a hair above Collier who was a trash can here. Again, I am okay with Miles staying as I know it isn't easy having a good basketball team at Nebraska, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he was bounced either. At the end of the day he won 22 games which was impressive. I think he is knocking on the door to get the school's first NCAA tourney win. 

• Plus1 1

This is a huge loss. Yes he has had some swings and misses but Hunter has constantly been on some of the big additions.

He has also been here for quite a while compared to the revolving door we have had at other spots.

This could also hurt in retaining guys. Wouldnt be shocked to lose a guy or two currently on the team. Kenya seems to be there "go-to" guy.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Moos has already came out and said Miles will be back next year.

He isnt going anywhere even if players leave and coaches leave.

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He doesn't want to have fired a winning coach, the same mistake made with firing 9-win football coaches.  Miles was all set to be released after last season, but then the team got hot & won a near-school record number of games. 

"IMO"

I think this is exactly correct.  I think Bruce Pearl was going to be canned as Auburn for all the cheating...then he went and had the year he did and basically made the AD have to keep him.

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Moos has already came out and said Miles will be back next year.

He isnt going anywhere even if players leave and coaches leave.

My post was in response to Hemmingway's hypothetical on "prolonging the inevitable". 

18 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm not a baseball guy so it doesn't bother me much, but Erstad has the worst coaching win % since 1977 at Nebraska. Miles is sitting just a hair above Collier who was a trash can here. Again, I am okay with Miles staying as I know it isn't easy having a good basketball team at Nebraska, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he was bounced either. At the end of the day he won 22 games which was impressive. I think he is knocking on the door to get the school's first NCAA tourney win. 

I think if/when Moos moves on Erstad, he's going to face a lot of blowback from alums who romanticize Erstad's achievements on both the football field and in MLB, and he's going to need the goodwill from the Frost hire there. 

Miles is going to coach himself out of his job sooner or later. 

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Yeah, there's no reason for Moos to use up any political capital on whacking Miles a year early when Miles will do it for him.  Sucks for guys like Roby and the others who are essentially wasting a year.  I'm not sure if Moos will have to use up much capital if Erstad bottoms out, especially if he can get a guy like Will Bolt from the DVH days.

Bolt would probably be the first call I would make as Moos, although it might take quite a bit to get him away from A&M. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think if/when Moos moves on Erstad, he's going to face a lot of blowback from alums who romanticize Erstad's achievements on both the football field and in MLB, and he's going to need the goodwill from the Frost hire there. 

Miles is going to coach himself out of his job sooner or later. 

I would bet money on sooner. If he loses Copeland and Palmer, this team will struggle... 

Erstad is also probably going to coach himself out of a job as well but to your point people ignore things because he was a husker. He hasnt been good in the B1G which is a crappy baseball conference. 

34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"IMO"

this is more or less laid out in an article from The Athletic I linked recently: 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:13 PM, seaofred92 said:

https://theathletic.com/301903/2018/04/06/nebraskas-tim-miles-could-be-back-in-same-boat-he-was-a-year-ago/

Two months before his sixth season at Nebraska, coach Tim Miles was told his job was on the line. “I’m really going to need to see discernible improvement to keep you here,” then athletic director Shawn Eichorst told Miles in 2017.

It was the first time in his coaching career Miles had heard such a demand, and it naturally made him feel uneasy. Six weeks later, Eichorst was fired, and Miles would get a new boss. But the sentiment, whether shared by new AD Bill Moos or not, still hung in the air. In December, Miles told The Fieldhouse that he knew he was in a contract year. Last week Moos told The Associated Press that he planned to begin talks about a contract extension when Miles returned from the Final Four.

That’s because the Cornhuskers delivered for their coach with a fourth-place finish in the Big Ten, tying with eventual national runner-up Michigan in the conference standings. A poor nonconference performance and a weak strength of schedule kept Nebraska from reaching the NCAA Tournament, but it was good enough to allow Miles to keep his job.

Now, however, the question is whether Nebraska is going to invest in Miles with a contract extension — he has two years left on his deal — or put the coach in the uncomfortable position of spending another year coaching for his job.

it sucks but it is what it is

Edited by seaofred92

We could go after Jon Scheyer if Miles tanks the next 1-2 seasons. He was a great player out of the state of Illinois which could help us recruit those kids as well. Never hurts to be under Coach K either. BUT that is for future talk if Miles loses this team. I think we could make a solid run next year and look forward to him here. 

Edited by BIG ERN