Kenya Hunter to UConn

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

We could go after Jon Scheyer if Miles tanks the next 1-2 seasons. He was a great player out of the state of Illinois which could help us recruit those kids as well. Never hurts to be under Coach K either. BUT that is for future talk if Miles loses this team. I think we could make a solid run next year and look forward to him here. 

Interesting name but I don't think Scheyer has what it takes to recruit Chicago/Illinois.  By that I mean, recruiting for Duke is one thing...recruiting for NU is another and recruiting the cess-pool that is Chicago is on a different level.  

But it is still an interesting name and Sheyer knows that he is not going to be promoted to Duke HC unless he has some experience.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Interesting name but I don't think Scheyer has what it takes to recruit Chicago/Illinois.  By that I mean, recruiting for Duke is one thing...recruiting for NU is another and recruiting the cess-pool that is Chicago is on a different level.  

But it is still an interesting name and Sheyer knows that he is not going to be promoted to Duke HC unless he has some experience.

When K retires, I fully expect Duke to swing for the fences first, then pick between Chris Collins and Jeff Capel if that doesn't pan out. 

Scheyer would be an interesting choice, but I think it's too soon for him. He's worked with Duke's guards in his 4 years on the bench; he's coached guys like Tyus Jones and Luke Kennard. If we're poaching from Duke, I'd rather go with Nate James. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I think if/when Moos moves on Erstad, he's going to face a lot of blowback from alums who romanticize Erstad's achievements on both the football field and in MLB, and he's going to need the goodwill from the Frost hire there. 

Miles is going to coach himself out of his job sooner or later. 

I don't think Erstad and Miles are all that comparable.  Erstad just won the conference (regular season) last year.  There were almost the exact same complaints early last season as there are this season and it turned out pretty decent.

Plus, it's harder to compete at Nebraska in baseball than it is in basketball.  It is the most pronounced recruiting disadvantage - almost all baseball players are from the south.  There are a lot of basketball players from the north.  Plus - while Haymarket Park is nice - we have literally world-class basketball facilities.

"I looked at the opportunity that UConn presents for me, working with a staff that I'm very excited about, plus I felt that I needed a change," Hunter said. "Obviously, UConn has a great tradition of winning -- four national championships and one just four years ago. It's recent, not outdated. You look in that practice facility and at that NBA wall, it's a place where a lot of NBA guys have come through and paved the way. I embrace the challenge of helping Coach Hurley get UConn basketball back to where the people there want it and where it has been."

"I've been fortunate to work for a lot of really good coaches and I think I can take bits and pieces of what I've learned from all of them and help our staff at UConn," Hunter said. "I think I am a relationship-builder with the players and that helps get the best from them. It's gratifying to help them grow as people and develop as players from the time they come until the time they leave."

Not only was the 16-year veteran assistant an important part of Nebraska’s X’s and O’s, he was also far and away the Huskers’ most productive recruiter over the past five years.

Of the eight scholarship players currently on NU’s 2018-19 roster, five were directly recruited by Hunter: James Palmer Jr., Isaac Copeland Jr., Glynn Watson, Jordy Tshimanga, and Thomas Allen.

HOL

36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think Erstad and Miles are all that comparable.  Erstad just won the conference (regular season) last year.  There were almost the exact same complaints early last season as there are this season and it turned out pretty decent.

Plus, it's harder to compete at Nebraska in baseball than it is in basketball.  It is the most pronounced recruiting disadvantage - almost all baseball players are from the south.  There are a lot of basketball players from the north.  Plus - while Haymarket Park is nice - we have literally world-class basketball facilities.

Haymarket is a palace compared to a lot of baseball venues, though. And Nebraska has a history of success in baseball, and the resources to commit to it. There's no reason why it cannot be more successful than 14-16, regardless of the most recent conference championship. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Haymarket is a palace compared to a lot of baseball venues, though. And Nebraska has a history of success in baseball, and the resources to commit to it. There's no reason why it cannot be more successful than 14-16, regardless of the most recent conference championship. 

By "history of success" I assume you mean "we had Dave Van Horn for awhile and he was really good".  

There are plenty of reasons why we aren't more successful than 14-16 right now.  You might not like them but there are reasons.

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By "history of success" I assume you mean "we had Dave Van Horn for awhile and he was really good".  

There are plenty of reasons why we aren't more successful than 14-16 right now.  You might not like them but there are reasons.

By "we had Dave Van Horn for awhile and he was really good", I assume you mean "seven conference titles, nine regional appearances, four super regional appearances and two World Series appearances in 10 years". 

And yes, there are plenty of reasons why they aren't more successful than 14-16, with the HC being one of the significant ones. 

47 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

By "we had Dave Van Horn for awhile and he was really good", I assume you mean "seven conference titles, nine regional appearances, four super regional appearances and two World Series appearances in 10 years". 

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Which is the baseball equivalent of comparing football coaches to Tom Osborne.  How have the others done.

47 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And yes, there are plenty of reasons why they aren't more successful than 14-16, with the HC being one of the significant ones. 

Glad we agree.  

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  Which is the baseball equivalent of comparing football coaches to Tom Osborne.  How have the others done.

In terms of your football analogy, our coaches since Osborne have done about as well as Erstad has, which is why we've gone through 4 in the last 20 years. 

13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

In terms of your football analogy, our coaches since Osborne have done about as well as Erstad has, which is why we've gone through 4 in the last 20 years. 

That's a great answer to a question I didn't ask.

But since you brought it up, Erstad winning the conference last year would seem to be better than any of our football coaches for the last 20 years.