Chinander's Husker D

Am I missing something?

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-spring-game-schedule-2018-dates-times-tv-channels-storylines-472018

Nebraska

New coach Scott Frost is going to dominate offseason headlines, both in the Big Ten and also around the country. Frost led UCF to an undefeated season and now returns to the Huskers. The former quarterback led Nebraska to a split national championship in 1997.

Part of the change at Nebraska with Frost is a new defensive approach in the 4-3 with DC Erik Chinander.

“I think it’s more see ball, get ball mentality, and not just running downhill,” senior linebacker Dedrick Young said. “You know, with the two-gap and the guard all of the time, so it’s shuffling and reading the ball to get to it.”

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 1

Pretty sure the author is missing something. I've heard Chinander talk about the NT being the most important position in pretty much every interview. I believe they said at one point they wouldn't be in the 3-4 100% of the time but it's definitely the main D.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

Q: Where you've been in the past you've run a 3-4 defensive front. Is that what you envision for the UCF defense going forward?

A: "Is there going to three down linemen? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes, sometimes not. The thing I don’t understand – you guys know more about it than I do now – you know, there's a three-technique, a five-technique and a one-technique. This guy's got his hand on the ground and now it's a 4-3. Now he's standing up and it's a 3-4. It's going to be a multiple defense. Sometimes it'll be four guys with their hands down, sometimes three."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-erik-chinander-football-post.html

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

LIES

Yeah, I never said that, did I?

5 hours ago, brophog said:

It's a hybrid. He's said so time and time again at UCF and Nebraska. 

Right, I know. That’s why I brought it up since they claimed we are a 4-3 defense. Seems like they maybe aren’t that credible?

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Yeah, I never said that, did I?

Right, I know. That’s why I brought it up since they claimed we are a 4-3 defense. Seems like they maybe aren’t that credible?

The days of labeling an entire defenose like this are over. Too many variations. Technique and alignment are what matters.  We all need to start speaking that language. 

2 hours ago, brophog said:

The days of labeling an entire defenose like this are over. Too many variations. Technique and alignment are what matters.  We all need to start speaking that language. 

Uh, nah, I think our base is a 3-4 and we will be multiple to get our best players in the best position to win games.