Tommie Frazier or Scott Frost

Tommie Frazier vs Scott Frost   

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok  - let's get real here.  Our current coach, last NC winning QB, Completer of "The Throw" at the end of "The Drive"  vs

Tommie Frazier: The Best System QB ever in college football, the Greatest player to never have won the Heisman, the winner of 2 NC and MVP of 3 -  know for "The Run"

Let's stop stepping around the edges here and vote on our last 2 NC QBs. 

• Plus1 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, TGHusker said:

No need to ask.  Tommie was a leader but could not be a good coach. 

But he was MR QB. Not the great passer but the best at what he was called to be - run Tom's option offense

He was so much more than that.  He was exactly what we needed.  From the mid-80's to the early 90's, we were pretty much stuck in neutral.  From the blowout bowl losses to the three year skid at the hands of CU, we were in desperate need of a spark.  It took a brash, cocky kid from Florida who took no $hit from anyone and wasn't afraid to curb stomp his OL's cubes to provide this spark.  He wasn't just great at running TO's offense.  He was heavily recruited by Notre Dame as well.  He easily could have run their offense.  I have always long held the belief that TO would have finished his career without ever winning a NC had it not been for Frazier.  Frazier didn't just run the offense to near perfection.  He elevated the play of the entire team both offense and defense. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

He was so much more than that.  He was exactly what we needed.  From the mid-80's to the early 90's, we were pretty much stuck in neutral.  From the blowout bowl losses to the three year skid at the hands of CU, we were in desperate need of a spark.  It took a brash, cocky kid from Florida who took no $hit from anyone and wasn't afraid to curb stomp his OL's cubes to provide this spark.  He wasn't just great at running TO's offense.  He was heavily recruited by Notre Dame as well.  He easily could have run their offense.  I have always long held the belief that TO would have finished his career without ever winning a NC had it not been for Frazier.  Frazier didn't just run the offense to near perfection.  He elevated the play of the entire team both offense and defense. 

Don't read into my comment any disrespect for TF.  He is the all time best QB NU has ever had and as many have said the best college QB ever (when they filter out any NFL experience).  He did mean more to NU than any QB probably meant to any other program.  When I say, he was the best at running Tom's O, I'm saying he was the best fit and excelled.  He would not have excelled in  a pass happy offense IMHO.

21 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Don't read into my comment any disrespect for TF.  He is the all time best QB NU has ever had and as many have said the best college QB ever (when they filter out any NFL experience).  He did mean more to NU than any QB probably meant to any other program.  When I say, he was the best at running Tom's O, I'm saying he was the best fit and excelled.  He would not have excelled in  a pass happy offense IMHO.

No, he would not have excelled in a pass happy offense.  However, how many of those actually existed back in the early 90's?  While some of his passes weren't exactly a thing of beauty, I do think he could have mastered the old run'n shoot offense that was fairly popular back then.  In terms of what he meant to our program, the only real comparison I see out there is what Tebow meant to Florida.  I'm not sure Florida has even had a QB since Tebow exhausted his eligibility. 

I choose Frost because of Tommie's interceptions in bowl games. He had 11 ints in 4 years during the regular season, but added 7 ints in 4 bowl games. Frost threw 7 ints in two regular seasons, but threw none in his two bowl games.

8 hours ago, Redux said:

How neither won a heisman is baffling to me.

Both should have won Heismans. What a pity, but at least they both won MNCs. I would not trade the 1997 MNC for a Heisman, and I would trade Crouch's Heisman for a MNC.

45 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Frazier absolutely should've won one and would have if they awarded it after bowl games.

Frost wasn't really close. Woodson and Manning were the top 2 that year.

I remember Frost leveling a DB after handing off. I would have loved to see Frost level Woodson. Woodson was great at pass D, but not much against the run. I don't think he would have enjoyed seeing the NU lineman coming down field looking for a little twerp to pound on.

I'm not trying to troll here, but the "Frazier got screwed out of the Heisman" take probably isn't accurate.

He certainly could have won it. You can make a strong case for it. But people act like it was an injustice on the same level as Paul Hornung winning over Jim Brown.

Eddie George had a great year and was a worthy Heisman winner. If you want to say Frazier was more worthy, that's fine. But this isn't the Portland Trail Blazers taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

And I loved Frost as a player, but he wasn't even the best offensive player on his own team. So no, Frost shouldn't have won the Heisman. 

• Plus1 2

Fair or not, football awards really trade on stats. Tommie Frazier never had the numbers, just the wins, so he would always get dinged for being a system quarterback when it came to individual honors. But Frazier was never overlooked or under-appreciated.That second-place Heisman finish was damn good and until recently he came up in every All Time Great conversation in college football. 

Scott Frost wasn't even in the top 10 vote getters for the 1997 Heisman - which included Charles Woodson, Peyton Manning, Randy Moss & Ricky Williams. But what Scott Frost did better than any Nebraska quarterback ever was sell the play fake. Man he was good at that. They just don't have a stat for it.