POB...still in the QB room?

26 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Frost did make a comment that once the newness wears off guys will need to focus and keeping working hard. The novelty wears off and all your left with is hard work. He then said most guys are doing a good job of that. 

Most is not all so some guys are starting to slack? Maybe POB? 

Eh, at that point he was talking about the whole team, and of any of the position groups I would think QB would be the least likely to slack off. They have the toughest job when learning a new offense, especially changing to one like Frost's.

• Plus1 1

I doubt anyone is rooting against POB, but as soon as Gebbia committed he got the backup QB treatment where he was the answer to all our problems and leap frogged POB for most fans. He seems like a hard working likable kid so it makes sense why people are more on his side. Everyone in here is just taking guesses at which QB they think is better so its natural for some bias to leak in. If POB does go somewhere else i hope he gets a chance to play. He really has one hell of an arm.  If i were to guess probably the best we have on campus right now. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not a thread.  It's called everyone demoting him to 4th string in their lineups or saying he'd transfer after spring.  Even if they're right, they're still wrong.  Saying he's too slow, and so on and so forth.  It's been the running narrative in most QB discussion on this board for quite sometime.

I'm in agreement with @Dilly Dilly, we just want whoever emerges as the #1 QB to be the best guy and fit for Frost's offense.

And for the record, I agree that POB is not the best fit for Frost's offense.  I'm not sure where he is on the depth chart, but I'm pretty confident it's not 1st or 2nd.  And if he proves me (and others) wrong...good for him.

I don't dislike POB.  By all accounts he's a great young man.  I just don't think he has the kind of wheels necessary to be successful in this offense.

And if he does leave because he doesn't like conversations about him being 4th on the depth chart of internet message boards, then he was probably never going to win the job anyway.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Sorry....I started this after hearing what I heard. I didn't know there was another or multiple threads discussing this. I didn't want it in the standard football forum because of it's possible rumory nature.

No need to apologize - there was a brand new thread started *not by you and I just thought it was appropriate to put them all together.

I guess I don’t get where the POB is too slow thinking comes from. Frost said himself that a 4.7 guy is definitely capable of running this offense; i.e. Derron Thomas.

POB had a similar 40 time, and had 640 yards/13 TDs on the ground as a junior. As a senior he had 626 yards and 8 touchdowns. He even had a receiving td.

When Lee had his concussion that wasn’t a concussion but was a concussion, POB was able to get 41 yards on the ground, with 14-yard and 12-yard gains. Unfortunately, our line had decided to turn from leaky faucet to a busted dam allowing seven sacks. SEVEN!!! That negated his rushing yardage.

I know when I saw O’Brien running with intent, he was able to get decent chunks.

A291C094-C413-4469-8D3C-297F68E80D4F.gif

Edited by Edison's Enemy
  • Plus1 4
34 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I guess I don’t get where the POB is too slow thinking comes from. Frost said himself that a 4.7 guy is definitely capable of running this offense; i.e. Derron Thomas.

POB had a similar 40 time, and had 640 yards/13 TDs on the ground as a junior. As a senior he had 626 yards and 8 touchdowns. He even had a receiving td.

When Lee had his concussion that wasn’t a concussion but was a concussion, POB was able to get 41 yards on the ground, with 14-yard and 12-yard gains. Unfortunately, our line had decided to turn from leaky faucet to a busted dam allowing seven sacks. SEVEN!!! That negated his rushing yardage.

I know when I saw O’Brien running with intent, he was able to get decent chunks.

A291C094-C413-4469-8D3C-297F68E80D4F.gif

Agreed.  POB is not an "athlete" playing QB.  He is a QB playing QB. He is athletic enough to get yards with his feet.  He showed that in HS and his limited opportunities at NU.  As you mentioned, sacks tend to hurt the overall numbers.  Better OL play all the QB's will look much improved.  However, I think what will prove to be the sticking points in Frost's O will be the guy who can execute.  Make the reads and the throughs.  Execute the correct RPO options.  Execute the proper reads on the option etc....Not the guy who simply "runs the best".  Gone are the days of a one trick pony QB who can only throw or run.....

I agree with all the above as it relates to simply wanting the best QB for the system to get the starting job. Looking at UCF last year and NU the previous few, our QB's will get beat up. I'd encourage them all to stay.  However if some choose to leave (other positions as well) I wish them the best of luck.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think three things are largely playing against POB in the fan base right now: his perceived lack of fit in the offense, not taking part in interviews this week (for whatever the reason) and memories of the rumors that he rubbed teammates the wrong way early in his career.

That's a far cry from hoping he fails. I sincerely hope he's bought in and is playing his butt off for that starting spot, and I hope that's what he continues to do his entire career here.

I've got some juicy goss that fits with this narrative.... I have a sibling at UNL, who said the first time they "met" POB (met in quotes because when he sat down at the table of 2-3 people he wouldn't acknowledge said sibling) he referred to himself multiple times as "The Savior of Nebraska Football" before even going through a season.... 

I also heard a rumor that Uncle Rico is his life coach. I know the first rumor to be true, the second I am 50/50 on

giphy.gif

Edited by LaFlamaBlanca
  • Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, LaFlamaBlanca said:

I've got some juicy goss that fits with this narrative.... I have a sibling at UNL, who said the first time they "met" POB (met in quotes because when he sat down at the table of 2-3 people he wouldn't acknowledge said sibling) he referred to himself multiple times as "The Savior of Nebraska Football" before even going through a season.... 

I also heard a rumor that Uncle Rico is his life coach. I know the first rumor to be true, the second I am 50/50 on

giphy.gif

So, he's studying under Harrison Beck? 

• Plus1 2

I don't hope POB fails, but he needs to transfer.  He will not get a chance to start during his career here.  He's a good player, just doesn't fit the offense AS WELL as Martinez or Gebbia.  I personally think Martinez gets the reins and starts all 4 years.  He fits the offense the best and Scott has already proven he will start true freshman.  And it's his prized recruit.  

26 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

I don't hope POB fails, but he needs to transfer.  He will not get a chance to start during his career here.  He's a good player, just doesn't fit the offense AS WELL as Martinez or Gebbia.  I personally think Martinez gets the reins and starts all 4 years.  He fits the offense the best and Scott has already proven he will start true freshman.  And it's his prized recruit.  

I sort of agree with this. Not necessarily that it will be Martinez as I think Frost will start whoever he feels is best but I like the idea of it being a freshman. Expectations are tempered for this season anyway, so why not get the seemingly eventual guy a whole lot more experience. But since we can assume one guy at QB likely won't be able to take all the snaps for a full season in this system, hopefully he finds a way to keep at least 3 of them happy enough to stick around. Guessing we will see at least 3 take snaps at QB this year. Sure beats the hell out of barely having one guy.