POB...still in the QB room?

24 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I predict the starter for game 1 is not the starter for more than 1/2 of the season.

POB should talk to Matt Turman. Wasn't he 10th or 11th on the depth chart? Then transfers and injuries piled up and he is starting for the #1 team in the nation against a top 20 team on the road.

Yup, I can easily see a situation where that happens.  Fwiw I thought POB was going to win the job this year.  Clearly I was incorrect.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone on the board.  Most were thinking that POB would struggle with the speed and athleticism component required in Frost's offense.  He's just not a good fit.  He will look to transfer to a school which could still be running an out-dated offense.

What are they running at Oregon State these days?

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

Yup, I can easily see a situation where that happens.  Fwiw I thought POB was going to win the job this year.  Clearly I was incorrect.

POB isn't quick enough to run the offense likes Frost wants in his QB's.  He may be a decent straight-ahead runner, but Frost wants quick hands and feet to carry out the necessary reads, fakes, and runs (when needed).

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone on the board.  Most were thinking that POB would struggle with the speed and athleticism component required in Frost's offense.  He's just not a good fit.  He will look to transfer to a school which could still be running an out-dated offense.

I think the last comment is a little unfair.  Lots of different ways to skin a cat on offense these days.  I don't think anyone would accuse Mike Norvell of running an outdated offense and his QBs traditionally don't run a lick outside of an occasional zone read.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

POB isn't quick enough to run the offense likes Frost wants in his QB's.  He may be a decent straight-ahead runner, but Frost wants quick hands and feet to carry out the necessary reads, fakes, and runs (when needed).

Yup, agree 100% there.

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think the last comment is a little unfair.  Lots of different ways to skin a cat on offense these days.  I don't think anyone would accuse Mike Norvell of running an outdated offense and his QBs traditionally don't run a lick outside of an occasional zone read.

Fair enough, POB could transfer to a spread school which utilizes the pass more than the QB run (thinking Mike Leach at WAZZU), but he still isn't a good fit for Frost's offense.

• Plus1 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Fair enough, POB could transfer to a spread school which utilizes the pass more than the QB run (thinking Mike Leach at WAZZU), but he still isn't a good fit for Frost's offense.

Honestly, somewhere like Wisconsin would probably be a good fit for him. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Congratulations to Noah Vedral on the open scholarship.

Vedral or Bunch? Or, you know, just get down to the scholarship cap.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1

I’m surprised that Frost had already narrowed down top 3 given how the QBs are probably still learning the offense. I suppose he felt if a QB obviously didn’t have what he needs then the best thing to do was let them know ASAP so the could make a decision on transferring or not. Plus I believe we need to reduce numbers anyway.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I’m surprised that Frost had already narrowed down top 3 given how the QBs are probably still learning the offense. I suppose he felt if a QB obviously didn’t have what he needs then the best thing to do was let them know ASAP so the could make a decision on transferring or not. Plus I believe we need to reduce numbers anyway.

The difference in athleticism between those three and POB is probably pretty apparent if he's already limiting reps like that. 

• Plus1 1