** 2018 Opponent Previews: Colorado (Game 2) **

I oddly watched a ton of CU the past couple years (I must've been betting them more frequently than usual) and they're going to be hard pressed to replace Lindsay who was an absolute stud and one of my favorite RBs to watch last year.  Dude gave maximum effort every single play.  If McMillian can recapture his Fr year magic he had VT than they might have something going.  Montez was super inconsistent and took a lot of unnecessary hits last year...I believe he missed a couple games due to injury last year.  He has a really big arm but was really inconsistent with the short and medium throws so their offense seemed to sputter quite a bit.  As a couple other posters have mentioned, the defense really slid downhill after Leavitt left. 

• Plus1 1
On 4/13/2018 at 10:36 AM, Caliborn72 said:

Impact player to watch for.

That CB is playing 8 yards off...that's some pathetic Diaco crap right there.  When CBs play that far off they have almost no shot at covering a WR.  The WR is running almost full speed and the CB is still in his backpedal which is maybe half speed or less so when the WR makes his cut, the defender has no chance.  That's why all DBs should play up closer to the receivers.  Press them.  Bump them.  Make them work to get off the line of scrimmage.  It is much easier to run with, and cover, a receiver if you're in their hip pocket the whole time.   

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Agreed, also worth noting that USC was up big in that game so I’m sure they were content with giving up a 8-12 yard gain and the corner just ended up looking stupid. He’s a big WR as well, I’m sure the corner didn’t think he’d run any route that efficiently.

But that gets into another eyeroll, it's crap, why do they do that????  

The "prevent defense"...I absolutely hate it.  If you're shutting a team down, why, in the last 4-5 minutes, play off and allow needlessly those yards and points?  I get all teams do it...just hate it though.

:rant

12 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That CB is playing 8 yards off...that's some pathetic Diaco crap right there.  When CBs play that far off they have almost no shot at covering a WR.  The WR is running almost full speed and the CB is still in his backpedal which is maybe half speed or less so when the WR makes his cut, the defender has no chance.  That's why all DBs should play up closer to the receivers.  Press them.  Bump them.  Make them work to get off the line of scrimmage.  It is much easier to run with, and cover, a receiver if you're in their hip pocket the whole time.   

10 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Agreed, also worth noting that USC was up big in that game so I’m sure they were content with giving up a 8-12 yard gain and the corner just ended up looking stupid. He’s a big WR as well, I’m sure the corner didn’t think he’d run any route that efficiently.

6 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

But that gets into another eyeroll, it's crap, why do they do that????  

The "prevent defense"...I absolutely hate it.  If you're shutting a team down, why, in the last 4-5 minutes, play off and allow needlessly those yards and points?  I get all teams do it...just hate it though.

:rant

I think the soft coverage or prevent has plenty of good uses, but you are right it is over used and pathetic if not executed properly.

In the video here, it's not so much the cushion that's the problem, it's the fact that he didn't move his feet quick enough, he bit hard on the first move, and then turned the wrong way and took his eyes off his man which made him look silly.

Proper fundamentals along with scheme can make this far more effective than we saw last year. Using it every down - that's just flat out idiotic.

• 3 weeks later...

14 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Take that list with a big grain of salt as he doesn't particularly rate Colorado high otherwise, and Colorado doesn't project that favorably based on his methods. He's projecting new players to be better than what left and counting on the fact they avoid Oregon and Stanford. This is his hedge betting kind of pick. 

• 2 weeks later...