** 2018 Opponent Previews: Colorado (Game 2) **

I think it would be a mistake to dismiss Colorado on the level of Akron or Illinois, or honestly even Troy at this point. Colorado could be an 8 win team this year. Their coach just won coach of the year as well even if that might have largely been due to another good D.C. that was there at the time. They’ve put some guys into the NFL the last couple years under his watch and I think we can credit them with outperforming recruiting finishes; aka doing a good job of evaluating and developing.

I’m not worried or anything like that. I think we take care of them, winning by more than a touchdown, but I am also willing to be patient and I wouldn’t consider this a catastrophe if we lose to them.

I realize Colorado has been bad the last several years.  And the rivalry, should you want to call it that, is no longer.  But from the time Tom Osborne retired, they had played Nebraska fairly close in most games.

In the 13 games from TO's retirement to Nebraska leaving the Big 12:

Nebraska has a 9-4 lead

7 games were decided by single digits

3 of Colorado's 4 wins were by double digits.

Seems they played up when we faced them.  But again, this is different.  The players today were as young as 11 when we last played.  Not going to be the same hype, I'm guessing

• Plus1 2

A good early season test(physically/mentally) could go a long way in determining what this edition of the Huskers will look like.  If this game is a slugfest, which I don't think will happen, it can only make us a better unit overall.  I hope CU is improved and does have a decent team, thats all that much bettter when we win.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Nick Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe in the 11th game of his first season at Alabama. I don't know if it should accurately called being 'scared', but there's nothing unreasonable about a perspective that says, "yeah, i mean, even if most of the pieces are there changing everything and getting to a high level of success will definitely take some time and probably go through some growing pains."

There is no place for level-headed, reasonable thoughts (that I agree with) here!

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure what you mean. So the team that has played a game already is 3-7?

It's like our situation this weekend. Colorado has played 1 game and we haven't yet. In those cases teams that have played a game already and their opponent hasn't is 3-7. So our chances aren't bad as some are thinking. Granite some teams faced tough opponents, but hopefully we are thought of that at season's end. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

It's like our situation this weekend. Colorado has played 1 game and we haven't yet. In those cases teams that have played a game already and their opponent hasn't is 3-7. So our chances aren't bad as some are thinking. Granite some teams faced tough opponents, but hopefully we are thought of that at season's end. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Ziebol said:

I am seeing people on other forums taking CU in this one or us winning by a last second field goal. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Is everyone that scared of Colorado? How can you honestly have confidence in this staff/team if you don't see them beating CU at home.

The fact that NU has not played and CU beat CSU soundly is some cause for concern. Colorado St is terrible though so I was not surprised that sCUm won it is just how completely they dominated. There qb that has been very average  had a great game. 

I am concerned mostly because I didn’t see us play last week.  I don’t know what is going to happen

• Plus1 1

I don't no how anyone can say that CSU is so horrible and that CU sucks because they only played against CSU.  CSU lost to Hawaii 43-34, but that same Hawaii team just beat Navy 59-41.  Scoring 59 on Navy is not something that happens very often, if ever, even by "upper echelon" P5 schools (Notre Dame anyone).  So, from the only evidence we have, Hawaii is probably a better team (at least offensively) than most people are giving them credit.  CU beat that same CSU team 45-13, so you have to assume they are quite a bit better than the aforementioned Hawaii team.   From a defensive standpoint, CSU's QB threw for 537 yards against Hawaii and only 176 yards against CU.  CU's QB went 22/25 for 338 yard against CSU which is a pretty good showing even against air and that Shenault wide receiver looked like one of the best.  So, anyone saying that this looks like a cakewalk 20+ victory has lost all grips on reality.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

So, anyone saying that this looks like a cakewalk 20+ victory has lost all grips on reality

It is certainly not insane to suggest a college football team wins by 20+. Teams have lost early in the season but come back to defeat that same team by large margins. 

Colorado was the biggest question mark of any team coming in this year. Some had them with 2 wins, others easily qualifying for a bowl. That's because predictions are based on the past and the recent past for Colorado has been swingy. I don't know what beating CSU like that means, but it probably doesn't suggest this is the 2 win version. 

I don't think CSU is very good though after watching their first two games. Too many misalignments and broken plays on defense. 89 yard TD on an uncovered player, running plays with 2 pullers and CSU has one defender, running plays with 6 defenders in the box vs 6 blockers in the box with 2 deep safeties....just a lot of things like that, and they're not very big or fast even if they were to line up correctly.

I like what Colorado did with Shenault, but they overused him at times and asked him to do things he's not well suited. Defenses will quickly begin forcing Colorado to go somewhere else, and over power him when he's asked to block.

• Plus1 1

Players angry about last week - Check

Players confident about this week - Check

Coaches say players prepared great this week - Check

Defense has to earn Blackshirts - Check

Electric crowd (no pun) - Check

All this should spell disaster for sCUm. 56-13 late in the 4th and CU racks up 14 garbage points against our 2nd team defense. 

NEB 56

CU 27

FINAL