Xfinity(Comcast) dropping Big Ten Network in Some Markets

4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Whew.  I was a lit pissed there for a second.  I still think that sucks though.

To clarify, it was dropped in every market except the states where there is a Big 10 school (and I think  NY and  one other abutting state).  I contacted Comcast directly to complain as well as voice my disgust at how they handled this.  It was in tiny print in a paper bill that I don't get.

6 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

This clarifies what is happening https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-network-comcast-tv-channel-dropped

The out-of-market Big Ten Network feed, which was carried on Sports & Entertainment pkg in non-Big Ten states, was dropped in some areas. Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available. 

I assumed that as of May 10 you would need to pay extra to get BTN everywhere. My frugality wouldn’t allow that. 

According to the info in that link Comcast does not consider Nebraska or Iowa as B1G states.....but Maryland and New Jersey are okay.  And I guarantee you there are more Husker fans in Northern Colorado than there are Buff and Ram fans combined.

If there are two companies that I really despise it's Comcast and Verizon.

• Plus1 2

This Chicago Tribune article seems to have a little more info and better explanation.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-comcast-xfinity-dumping-big-ten-network-20180413-story,amp.html

I guess Iowa and Nebraska are not considered to be states with Big Ten schools because apparently Comcast does not operate in those states. This may simply be a ploy by Comcast to get BTN to lower their carriage fee. Either way it gives me a good reason to pursue Roku, PSVue etc. and get the cord cut.

24 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

According to the info in that link Comcast does not consider Nebraska or Iowa as B1G states.....but Maryland and New Jersey are okay.  And I guarantee you there are more Husker fans in Northern Colorado than there are Buff and Ram fans combined.

If there are two companies that I really despise it's Comcast and Verizon.

The 'V' word is a trigger for me.  

• Plus1 1
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, Dilly Dilly said:

Even tho we're "safe for now", still enough is enough and going to test drive PS Vue this weekend.

I like PS Vue. I would make the permanent switch if my cable tv service provider wouldn't charge me $215 early exit fee

Used PSVue for a year.  Just stopped using it this month just to get Direct TV now deal of 3 months for $10 since there is really no sports I care enough about.  I will definitely be going back by August.  The nice thing is you can watch on up to 5 devices and Cloud based DVR.

1 hour ago, HuskerMan said:

Im down to PsVue or youtube tv.  Not sure which route I’m going to go yet.

I had PSVUE for 6 months and am now into my second month with youtubeTV  - There pretty equal ( i made the change to get Tennis channel)

Biggest difference is:

PSVUE DVR does not record one episode of a show it records the entire show - for an example if you record the nebraska vs iowa football game then you get every ncaa football game recorded "as a show"  -  it's cool in that you can go find any game you want  / it sucks because you have to sort thru a lot of icons to find "the game" that you want.

YoutubeTV if you use a tablet for your remote will show a "live" thumbnail of each channel and whats happening at that exact moment.  It's nice because you can avoid commericals if you are bouncing around between channels and you can use the tablet and watch multiple shows at once.

Overall i think PSVUE is a little more user friendly  (i'm using appleTV as my "device")  I tested Roku / NVDIA / Appletv / Firestick With YoutubeTV / PSVUE / Directv / Fubotv.  You would be surprised at how different those 16 combination are.  Some providers react better or differently with the each device. 

PSVUE also has a better selection of free movies

• Plus1 1