BTN's Dienhart's Priorities for Nebraska

11 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

There’s been other tweets as well stating that the OLine didn’t have a very good day. I saw one tweet that they had their best day, which was encouraging because it came off a string of a couple bad days.

Schaefer also mentioned that they were sluggish and sloppy when he got to view them.

Gotcha. I just hadn't gotten the impression everything was that bad.

Also, like I said earlier in the topic I think the OL will just take more time (as in more than one season) so maybe I'm looking at things too positively because I'm not that concerned about it getting good in one spring.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

I think OL play will improve simply by Cav being gone. He was in over his head.

From a run blocking standpoint you're 100% correct, the OL was an unmitigated disaster last year as evidenced by any metric you want...eye test, traditional or advanced stats.  They were pretty decent against the pass.  Let me be clear, Cav needed to go and I'm firmly in the camp of 'if we get the run game going than it becomes much easier to pass block'.

I agree with @tattooedhusker that the OL bounces back pretty nicely.  I mean, shoot the OL probably has the highest concentration of talent from a recruiting stars perspective.  They can't ALL be terrible right?!?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?q=stats/ncaaol

Offense Adj. LY Rk Std. Downs Line Yards Rk Pass. Downs Line Yards Rk Opp. Rate Rk Power Success Rate Rk Stuff Rate Rk Adj Sack Rate Rk Std. Downs Sack Rate Rk Pass. Downs Sack Rate Rk

Nebraska 112.9 23 2.77 87 3.38 52 33.8% 112 75.0% 23 19.0% 56 200.2 8 2.6 12 4.1 17
Edited by Xmas32
  • Plus1 3

I'd say we pretty much have an O-line comprised entirely of promising freshmen at this point. On paper, we're recruited players reasonably well, but they've been so under-coached that they might as well be true freshmen. It's far from hopeless, but of course the question is how quickly they can get up to speed and start looking like they belong on the field playing for a P5 team.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

I don’t want to pee in anyone’s Cheerios, and I’ll be listening to Greg Austin today during small group sessions at the Clinic, but, is it not ironic that one of the players included in the last decades “weakest” area of the team is now leading our OL?

disclaimer: I really believe in this whole staff including Austin. I just thought it was funny. Obviously great coaches didn’t have to be great players

I don't know. I thought Callahan presided over some fairly decent O-line play, especially 2006 when Austin was a senior.  I seem to remember a lack of O-Line depth and injuries (guys playing at 75% or so) being the main O-line bugaboo during Callahan's short stint at Nebraska.

16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree those are all three very important items but I think 'playing with heart and tenacity for 4 quarters, every snap" would be my first concern.   It the guys do that, we'll have a winning season.   The number of wins after that will come down to luck, injuries, and playing smart and confidently.   

Intangibles are great. They just don't mean anything without the tangibles. 

10 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I would like to start getting some promising reports about the OLine. So far, it’s been a lot of the same as last spring. “Sloppy, unmotivated, had a bad day,” etc.

I guess I'd rather hear that...if it is the truth...than hear ..  "making wonderful strides..the Pipeline is back" type nonsense only to find out the O-line couldn't push themselves to the front of the crowd at a Bieber concert.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I guess I'd rather hear that...if it is the truth...than hear ..  "making wonderful strides..the Pipeline is back" type nonsense only to find out the O-line couldn't push themselves to the front of the crowd at a Bieber concert.

Let's face it though, no one wants to see that ish anyway.  Best to let others to the front on that one.

15 hours ago, Saunders said:

I think OL play will improve simply by Cav being gone. He was in over his head.

You may be right, but I want to see how the OL plays at Syracuse.  I think, and this is more my opinion than provable fact, but I think Cav was hamstrung by Riley.  Cav couldn't discipline players and we all know that led to the laziness by many along the OL.  Looking right at you Nick Gates and David Knevel. 

Edited by Making Chimichangas
12 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You may be right, but I want to see how the OL plays at Syracuse.  I think, and this is more my opinion than provable fact, but I think Cav was hamstrung by Riley.  Cav couldn't discipline players and we all know that led to the laziness by many along the OL.  Looking right at you Nick Gates and David Knevel. 

I think you might be on to something here.  Cultural issues from the top down.

25 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I don't buy that all of the coaches sucked, which seems to be the belief of some posters. But I don't think Cav was very good. It can be a combination of the 2, though.

Edited by Moiraine
13 minutes ago, Toe said:

The whole team was hamstrung by Riley. But that doesn't quite explain why the O-line was on its own special level of suck, IMO.

I'd easily put the linebackers higher on the suck scale, just to name one position. Offensive line has become part suck, part scapegoat. 

18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't buy that all of the coaches sucked, which seems to be the belief of some posters. But I don't think Cav was very good. It can be a combination of the 2, though.

It's a strange organization to sort blame, if that's what one wants to do, because there were so many problems up and down the organizational chain.

Just so different now, and amazingly so quickly. Who knows how many games will be won, but we atleast have a chance because everyone from administration to GA are on the same page. What we may be doing may turn out wrong, but at least we are all doing it.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's a strange organization to sort blame, if that's what one wants to do, because there were so many problems up and down the organizational chain.

Just so different now, and amazingly so quickly. Who knows how many games will be won, but we atleast have a chance because everyone from administration to GA are on the same page. What we may be doing may turn out wrong, but at least we are all doing it.

Yeah I think there is PLENTY of blame to go around.

And I seriously think with Frost we are in good hands.  The biggest difference is Coach Frost actually does what he says he's going to do.