Huskers vs. B1G West

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'm not opposed to talking about our former coaches, I would even go so far as to say that Bo did a decent enough job that had we never left the Big 12 he would still be our coach.

But I'm not about to pretend that it mattets today who was better when both guys stunk the joint up enough to get fired.  Especially when the one whonwent 4-8 left in a classier manner than the one who left after a 9-3 year.  We finally have our coach, that's what matters.

I agree with you that it doesn't matter because now we have Frost, but doesn't that actually make sense? 2 losing seasons in 3 years should cause more humility in leaving than 7 straight 9 win seasons. Bo probably thought he deserved to stay while Riley saw the writing on the wall even if he felt like he just needed more time.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree with you that it doesn't matter because now we have Frost, but doesn't that actually make sense? 2 losing seasons in 3 years should cause more humility in leaving than 7 straight 9 win seasons. Bo probably thought he deserved to stay while Riley saw the writing on the wall even if he felt like he just needed more time.

Over the course of 7 years this fan base had to make appologies for its coach time and time again for his piss poor behavior because at first we thought it would light a fire under the teams ass.  But when that fire went out the piss poor behavior got worse.  And then after he was fired he gave us a final middle finger by placing a massive chip on the shoulders of his former team.  That's a s#!tty thing to do no matter how anyone wants to justify it.  If you really cared about them you wouldn't do that.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 3
Just now, Redux said:

Over the course of 7 years this fan base haf to make appologies for its coach time and time again for his piss poor behavior because at first we thought it would light a fire under the teams ass.  But when that fire went out the piss poor behavior got worse.  And then after he was fired he gave us a final middle finger by placing a massive chip on the shoulders of his former team.  That's a s#!tty thing to do no matter how anyone wants to justify it.  If you really cared about them you wouldn't do that.

I completely agree what Bo did was wrong and hated the way he would act as well especially that incident. Riley was all class through and through and I think we learned Riley as a person > Bo as a person. But that said, when it comes to football they are flipped and it makes sense to me why Bo would react a certain way and Riley didn't only based on football results. I don't justify what Bo did, but your comment about their records to me almost makes more sense than if it was the other way around, if that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I completely agree what Bo did was wrong and hated the way he would act as well especially that incident. Riley was all class through and through and I think we learned Riley as a person > Bo as a person. But that said, when it comes to football they are flipped and it makes sense to me why Bo would react a certain way and Riley didn't only based on football results. I don't justify what Bo did, but your comment about their records to me almost makes more sense than if it was the other way around, if that makes sense. 

In a just world, winning 9 games a year would be more than suitable.  And the people that want to parade his achievements higher than needed point to just that.  However if you look under the surface there was almost as much nonsensical losses and blowouts and missed opportunity as Riley.  Bo just didn't lose to Illinois and Purdue while he was employed.  So yeah, his record looks better because he beat teams that he should beat.  Riley couldn't do that.  So I go back to my original comparison, would you rather get hit by a train or a car?

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

In a just world, winning 9 games a year would be more than suitable.  And the people that want to parade his achievements higher than needed point to just that.  However if you look under the surface there was almost as much nonsensical losses and blowouts and missed opportunity as Riley.  Bo just didn't lose to Illinois and Purdue while he was employed.  So yeah, his record looks better because he beat teams that he should beat.  Riley couldn't do that.  So I go back to my original comparison, would you rather get hit by a train or a car?

Neither, I was just saying it makes sense to me Bo was more mad than Riley when they were fired given their results. I agree with your post and your sentiment that ultimately the past is the past and now we have Frost so nothing else matters. Honestly by the end I was glad Bo was fired. I liked Riley more and at the time wish he'd had more success. But now I could care less because we have the best coach in the country for Nebraska and that is zero exaggeration. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Neither, I was just saying it makes sense to me Bo was more mad than Riley when they were fired given their results. I agree with your post and your sentiment that ultimately the past is the past and now we have Frost so nothing else matters. Honestly by the end I was glad Bo was fired. I liked Riley more and at the time wish he'd had more success. But now I could care less because we have the best coach in the country for Nebraska and that is zero exaggeration. 

Careful, some would argue otherwise.

But yeah, agree 100% with all that.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It was Pelini's job to get along with his bosses, not the other way around. We've all had crappy bosses but it doesn't excuse poor behavior on our parts.

I think SE was a special case. That idiot's single purpose was to get Bo. Then he was stupid enough to hire a loser and try to micromanage him.

2 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I think SE was a special case. That idiot's single purpose was to get Bo. Then he was stupid enough to hire a loser and try to micromanage him.

Just because the guy that hires you steps down and the guy that replaces him is a tool.  You shouldn't start douching it up towards the media, fans, refs and most importantly the replacement boss.  I mean, unless you are shopping yourself around and think you're leaving anyways......

Edited by Redux
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Just because the guy that hires you steps down and the guy that replaces him is a tool should you start douching it up towards the media, fans, refs and most importantly the replacement boss.  I mean, unless you are shopping yourself around and think you're leaving anyways......

Yeah, you're probably right.  The Nebraska football program was obviously in good shape under Perlman's leadership.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yeah, you're probably right.  The Nebraska football program was obviously in good shape under Perlman's leadership.

Perlman being a crooked jerk has nothing to do with Bo Pelini's ability to do his job properly.  The sooner you understand this the better.

Edited by Redux

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Just because the guy that hires you steps down and the guy that replaces him is a tool.  You shouldn't start douching it up towards the media, fans, refs and most importantly the replacement boss.  I mean, unless you are shopping yourself around and think you're leaving anyways......

Keep in mind though that BP wasn't doing himself any favors prior to Osborne's retirement, either. His tirade against TM on the sidelines was 2010, his 'fair weather fan' outburst was 2011. His hat that hit/didn't hit a ref was in 2013 (I believe SE's first year). His outward challenging of SE to fire him was also mixed into the 2013-2014 era.

BP simply found new, innovative ways to make himself look bad.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Keep in mind though that BP wasn't doing himself any favors prior to Osborne's retirement, either. His tirade against TM on the sidelines was 2010, his 'fair weather fan' outburst was 2011. His hat that hit/didn't hit a ref was in 2013 (I believe SE's first year). His outward challenging of SE to fire him was also mixed into the 2013-2014 era.

BP simply found new, innovative ways to make himself look bad.

That's just it, his tirades and shenanigans weren't a result of Perlman or Eichorst.  Granted I woulf have been a pissy guy working for them too, but we've seen that it's just his natural attitude even at YSU.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Redux said:

Is it possible that Bo was a jerk and SE was an arrogant tool? These are not exclusive. MR handled SE much better publicly , but IMO, SE  allowed SE to have more influence on the football program, and his influence was all bad.

• Plus1 1