Huskers vs. B1G West

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Is it possible that Bo was a jerk and SE was an arrogant tool? These are not exclusive. MR handled SE much better publicly , but IMO, SE  allowed SE to have more influence on the football program, and his influence was all bad.

Riley had millions of reasons (dollars) to be loyal to Eichorst and allow him to have greater influence on the football program.  Riley was "this close" to be forced into retirement in Corvallis when Eichorst hired him out of nowhere in December 2014.  After Eichorst did that, Riley wasn't going to push back on anything Eichorst did at NU.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Riley had millions of reasons (dollars) to be loyal to Eichorst and allow him to have greater influence on the football program.  Riley was "this close" to be forced into retirement in Corvallis when Eichorst hired him out of nowhere in December 2014.  After Eichorst did that, Riley wasn't going to push back on anything Eichorst did at NU.

I don't blame him. SE gave him a nice retirement. Only the Husker faithful had to suffer.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Redux said:

That's just it, his tirades and shenanigans weren't a result of Perlman or Eichorst.  Granted I woulf have been a pissy guy working for them too, but we've seen that it's just his natural attitude even at YSU.

Some Husker faithful were bothered by Pelini's 'tude.....others weren't.

The helicopter view of decisions regarding Husker football the past 20 years is squarely on Perlman's shoulders.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

And Tom Osborne's

Agreed.

Though Perlman had the more prominent direct role during those twenty years.

Osborne still had significant influence with donors and the regents, but Perlman went renegade instead of cooperating with Osborne.

35 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Agreed.

Though Perlman had the more prominent direct role during those twenty years.

Osborne still had significant influence with donors and the regents, but Perlman went renegade instead of cooperating with Osborne.

So it's Perlmans fault that Bo Pelini couldn't win a conference championship, couldn't control his temper during games, couldn't control his temper while dealing with the media, couldn't control his temper against officials during games, couldn't control his temper during interviews, refused to adjust his coaching style, refused to make proper staff adjustments, and got blown out handfuls of times.  That was because Perlman was a bad chancellor?

I don't think so.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

So it's Perlmans fault that Bo Pelini couldn't win a conference championship, couldn't control his temper during games, couldn't control his temper while dealing with the media, couldn't control his temper against officials during games, couldn't control his temper during interviews, refused to adjust his coaching style, refused to make proper staff adjustments, and got blown out handfuls of times.  That was because Perlman was a bad chancellor?

I don't think so.

You might have missed the part in his retirement speech about football.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Just glossing over the fact that Tom Osborne made the hire, huh?

The hire doesn't need glossing.  

It was a good hire that went south when three adult men (Pelini, Osborne and Perlman) couldn't or wouldn't get on the same page regarding Nebraska football.  But you tell me which was the "odd man out" on that?....

Frost would not be here now without Osborne giving him the green light regarding the administration.  Frost is saying that publicly to the media.  Frost also seems to think Pelini did a good job at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Frost would not be here now without Osborne giving him the green light regarding the administration.  Frost is saying that publicly to the media.  Frost also seems to think Pelini did a good job at Nebraska.

But, he has also regularly acknowledged BP couldn't get over the hump. I think Frost understands some of the reasons why BP was let go even if he has respect for him.

Either way, Bo Pelini had failings as a coach and they manifested well before some of the tension between him, Perlman and SE.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

But, he has also regularly acknowledged BP couldn't get over the hump. I think Frost understands some of the reasons why BP was let go even if he has respect for him.

Either way, Bo Pelini had failings as a coach and they manifested well before some of the tension between him, Perlman and SE.

And Osborne let it fester and then walked away leaving it for someone else to deal with

• Plus1 1