Huskers vs. B1G West

11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Fans who "enjoyed" watching the team lose???  Sorry friend but I believe you're off the reservation here.  Granted, I haven't been on this board all that long, but I don't recall anyone posting that they enjoyed watching the team lose.  If there are posts to that effect, I would truly love to see them.

I think it would be more accurate to say there were people who were pretty sure Riley would fail, but supported him anyway because they wanted the team to do well.  That was my position: I was 90% certain Riley would fail, but I took zero joy from his (and the team's) failings.  And I would be hard pressed to believe without proof that there are fans who enjoyed seeing the team lose.

I can't find it, maybe a mod can help me out here, there was a thread mid season that was pretty ugly that showcased how badly many people were excited we were losing games because it was a means to an end.  I believe it was a poll topic.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Redux said:

I can't find it, maybe a mod can help me out here, there was a thread mid season that was pretty ugly that showcased how badly many people were excited we were losing games because it was a means to an end.  I believe it was a poll topic.

I remember these people too.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I made one back in like 2015 that asked if people were willing to go 5-7 if it meant getting a new coach, maybe 10 out of 50 votes were yes.  This one from last season was WAY uglier.

That is truly disappointing to hear.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because you're referencing a thread you made.  I have always made a point to not call anyone a "bad fan."  But, hoping the team loses, and taking joy in losses, certainly has to qualify for being a bad fan.  

A while back I made a post that under Mike Riley Nebraska would never beat Wisconsin.  I pointed out that his teams lacked the physicality, heart, pride, and want of the Badgers.  But I never ever took pride in the Huskers losing.  In point of fact, I actually boycotted Nebraska's games after the (again) drubbing we took at the hands of Ohio State.   Because I would rather not watch at all than to see the team play so poorly.

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That is truly disappointing to hear.  I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because you're referencing a thread you made.  I have always made a point to not call anyone a "bad fan."  But, hoping the team loses, and taking joy in losses, certainly has to qualify for being a bad fan.  

A while back I made a post that under Mike Riley Nebraska would never beat Wisconsin.  I pointed out that his teams lacked the physicality, heart, pride, and want of the Badgers.  But I never ever took pride in the Huskers losing.  In point of fact, I actually boycotted Nebraska's games after the (again) drubbing we took at the hands of Ohio State.   Because I would rather not watch at all than to see the team play so poorly.

I watched every agonizing minute of it.  While I wouldn't probably vote to lose enough to ensure the coach getting fired, i did just want the 3 years of futility to stop.  I really hoped that MR would have put it together by year 3 that we aren't in the pac12 and losing isn't ever ok.  We'll forgive the losses as long as the team plays their hearts out, but they just never did.

41 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

FIFY

How many chancellors would say what Perlman did in his retirement speech about how he'll be remembered for the football program?

.....his own words.

What was Frost's main concern about the Nebraska job?

Edited by TheSker
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

How many chancellors would say what Perlman did in his retirement speech about how he'll be remembered for the football program?

.....his own words.

What was Frost's main concern about the Nebraska job?

Perlman sucking doesn't mean Pelini can't also suck. Regardless of how good or bad Perlman was, Pelini still had sideline meltdowns and blowout losses that were all his own.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Perlman sucking doesn't mean Pelini can't also suck. Regardless of how good or bad Perlman was, Pelini still had sideline meltdowns and blowout losses that were all his own.

A .700 winning percentage doesn't qualify as "suck", but nice try.

You wanna talk about blowout losses?  Let me introduce you to Mike Riley.

Perlman was bad enough that Scott Frost wouldn't even be in the conversation if Perlman were still here.  Frost's last minute "cold feet" wad all about the administration.

Perlman's retirement speech comments on his role with the football program are epic.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

A .700 winning percentage doesn't qualify as "suck", but nice try.

You wanna talk about blowout losses?  Let me introduce you to Mike Riley.

Perlman was bad enough that Scott Frost wouldn't even be in the conversation if Perlman were still here.  Frost's last minute "cold feet" wad all about the administration.

Perlman's retirement speech comments on his role with the football program are epic.

Perlman sucked.

Pelini sucked.

Riley sucked.

Those are 3 independent statements.

If you want to continue trying to defend Pelini, go ahead, but there's dozens of threads on this board already for that.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Perlman sucked.

Pelini sucked.

Riley sucked.

Those are 3 independent statements.

If you want to continue trying to defend Pelini, go ahead, but there's dozens of threads on this board already for that.

Yet your post was the one that had "FIFY" regarding Pelini specifically, right?

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

Yet your post was the one that had "FIFY" regarding Pelini specifically, right?

Yes. Here's what I changed your quote to: "Pelini's issues were related to his personality." I stand by that, and I'm not defending Perlman who also sucked.

EDIT: TheSker and I have taken the debate off this thread. Sorry for the tangent.

Edited by RedDenver