For the first time in years

For the first time in years, maybe since Martinez was under center with Helu behind him,  or perhaps Suh was on the line with Gomes and Prince backing him up I’m actually intrigued to to watch them play the game. 

The prognosticators have generally put the Cornhuskers at 4-6 wins. The last 3-5 years I’d generally agree with their assessments of how we should finish. The paper matched the product. 

I’m actually excited to see the changes, the new offense and defense this season. I’ll actually watch the games with interest, win or lose. I’m feeling like the team just needs to play; on paper we are predicted to lose. On the field, I feel like we have a shot. 

What has been brought in as “new” over the last several seasons made me wary and not excited that the team can win or compete on paper or the field. Finally, finally I feel like what’s on paper will be far exceeded by what’s on the field. 

A tangible gut feeling that makes me interested to see the product, not the paper. Finally. 

Anyone else ready? 

• Plus1 6

13 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

Frost has brought a lot of hope for this team/fans.........temper the expectations, this will be a process, 2-3 years before we see some marked improvement.....be patient and let this thing grow. be realistic.

I find this unlikely unless your definition of marked improvement is vastly different than mine. I expect marked improvement this season.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, I am I said:

For the first time in years, maybe since Martinez was under center with Helu behind him,  or perhaps Suh was on the line with Gomes and Prince backing him up I’m actually intrigued to to watch them play the game. 

The prognosticators have generally put the Cornhuskers at 4-6 wins. The last 3-5 years I’d generally agree with their assessments of how we should finish. The paper matched the product. 

I’m actually excited to see the changes, the new offense and defense this season. I’ll actually watch the games with interest, win or lose. I’m feeling like the team just needs to play; on paper we are predicted to lose. On the field, I feel like we have a shot. 

What has been brought in as “new” over the last several seasons made me wary and not excited that the team can win or compete on paper or the field. Finally, finally I feel like what’s on paper will be far exceeded by what’s on the field. 

A tangible gut feeling that makes me interested to see the product, not the paper. Finally. 

Anyone else ready? 

Literally only last year and now this season because of last year has this happened

• Plus1 1

I feel as though we finally have an offensive identity and scheme that will win us a couple of the toss up games this year (and in the future).

The Tim Beck and Shawn Watson spreads had no identity and no bread-and-butter. The prior spread schemes we had were a hodge-podge of sh*t. I feel Frost has his base scheme with actual concepts that build off of each other - ie) an identity. We haven't had a schemer like this on the offensive side of the ball who would run plays early in games to set up schemes, flows and plays later since Osborne (not comparing him to Osborne other than what he learned as far as game-planning/scheming). Its a long way of saying that aside from the the physical gains we've heard about we will finally out coach the opponent - instead of the past 2 decades of the converse being true - which will lead to marked improvement in year one.

Save the "lets temper expectations posts", I don't expect double digit (10) wins this year but I do think we will be better then the 4-6 wins that are predicted. 

I completely agree OP, for the first time in years I find myself excited for the upcoming season and the future of Husker football. It's been a while and probably since the 2010 pre-season that I felt this way. I don't expect us to compete for a conference title right away but I expect the team will look improved greatly over what we've grown accustomed to the past few years and to be back to being contenders for conference and eventually national championships within 3-5 years if I had to guess.

I have a gut feeling that we will surprise people next year - so many of the writers have us at 5-7, 6-6 and 7-5 at the very best.  I think 8-4 and 9-3 could happen if this team really

comes together emotionally and technically.   While we don't have Ohio State talent, we do have talent and I think the poor coaching from last year hid that. 

Call it preseason :koolaid2: but this season is different than all of the other coach changes.  While we aren't going back to the old base offense of the 1990s we are going back to that attitude and that will make a difference.  Self belief + great coaching + hard work and execution =  success.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

Frost has brought a lot of hope for this team/fans.........temper the expectations, this will be a process, 2-3 years before we see some marked improvement.....be patient and let this thing grow. be realistic.

Depends on what "marked improvement" is. I expect a much better managed team. I expect a much more physical team. I expect far less stupid coaching decisions including play calls and personal decisions. I expect to have a defense on the field. Given that, I expect a minimum of 7 wins. I agree that it will take 2 or 3 years for Frost to get most of what he wants done, but that means we will be winning the BIG every couple of years. A crappy bowl win this year is the lowest end of expectations.

Frost & Co. want the boys playing full speed, and would rather have them miss the play going 100%, then make a slow/sluggish play while getting dragged for 5 yards...

LOVE the attitude, but I expect some missed tackles early on in the year; however, we seemed to miss a ton of tackles the past couple seasons (actually, it seemed like our guys just weren't there to make the play, half the time).

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Call it preseason :koolaid2: but this season is different than all of the other coach changes.  While we aren't going back to the old base offense of the 1990s we are going back to that attitude and that will make a difference.  Self belief + great coaching + hard work and execution =  success.

Are we getting back to that championship mentality? I stumbled across this last night 

It’s hard to believe that we’re close to the mindset that these players had. I’ve heard some good things and not so good things from coaches following spring practices. I think it will take several years of better results and better recruiting before players start to believe this is possible and develop the kind of drive these guys had. I believe step 1 in this process is to stop getting blown out.  Frost’s experience and familiarity with Nebraska probably makes him the coach most likely to succeed in turning the program around so hopefully next season we’ll see signs of this happening.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Are we getting back to that championship mentality? I stumbled across this last night 

It’s hard to believe that we’re close to the mindset that these players had. I’ve heard some good things and not so good things from coaches following spring practices. I think it will take several years of better results and better recruiting before players start to believe this is possible and develop the kind of drive these guys had. I believe step 1 in this process is to stop getting blown out.  Frost’s experience and familiarity with Nebraska probably makes him the coach most likely to succeed in turning the program around so hopefully next season we’ll see signs of this happening.

I agree - it won't happen in one year - but it has happened at the top.  We finally have the HC who understand and who will change the culture