For the first time in years

5 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I feel as though we finally have an offensive identity and scheme that will win us a couple of the toss up games this year (and in the future).

The Tim Beck and Shawn Watson spreads had no identity and no bread-and-butter. The prior spread schemes we had were a hodge-podge of sh*t. I feel Frost has his base scheme with actual concepts that build off of each other - ie) an identity. We haven't had a schemer like this on the offensive side of the ball who would run plays early in games to set up schemes, flows and plays later since Osborne (not comparing him to Osborne other than what he learned as far as game-planning/scheming). Its a long way of saying that aside from the the physical gains we've heard about we will finally out coach the opponent - instead of the past 2 decades of the converse being true - which will lead to marked improvement in year one.

Save the "lets temper expectations posts", I don't expect double digit (10) wins this year but I do think we will be better then the 4-6 wins that are predicted. 

The maddening thing when it came to Beck is the lack of consistency, he'd roll out games where Nebraska would be hanging 40+ and other times they would just lay an egg.  The epitome of it for me was the last game he coached against USC in the Holiday Bowl.  That USC team was loaded with playmakers and Nebraska rolled all over the field against them.  I know BP did Beck zero favors when he was the HC but I couldn't help but think when I was watching that game was, "Good grief, where the heck has THIS offense been all year?"

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't like how the prognosticators have Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State as automatic losses. There is no way we lose all of those games. We will win at least one, and maybe three. 

Yep, that’s why they play the games. On paper, I’d agree with them, especially in years past. 

This season im excited to see what this team brings, win or lose 

4 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Frost & Co. want the boys playing full speed, and would rather have them miss the play going 100%, then make a slow/sluggish play while getting dragged for 5 yards...

LOVE the attitude, but I expect some missed tackles early on in the year; however, we seemed to miss a ton of tackles the past couple seasons (actually, it seemed like our guys just weren't there to make the play, half the time).

They don't mind a missed tackle going for a big hit, in the context of the play. A huge emphasis for spring, on both sides of the ball, is to play with the correct leverage and know where your help is. When Held talks about a RB beating the safety, and Ruud talks about a LB coming up to make a tackle, they speak the same language. The fundamentals of the players will be improved because the fundamentals of the coaches are improved. 

More often than not we had guys to make the tackle, the problem was often that maintaining gap control became so rigid there was only one possible tackler. If he missed, it was 60. On the other hand, I was just watching one of UCF's games recently, and was very impressed how their defensive lineman bailed on screens and sweeps. Now, they didn't always make the plays they should have, either, but more often than not a ball carrier had to beat several defenders.

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

1st year will be a struggle with 8 wins being the ceiling, 6 or 7 much more likely,  2nd year will be fantastic. IMHO

That's the likely scenario, and matches what new head coaches have historically done. There is usually, on average, about a 2 win jump from year 1 to year 2. I would note, however, that Frost having brought a complete staff that just performed a rebuild makes this a very unique situation. They're way ahead this spring in terms of installing schemes, expectations and routines, and that should snowball through summer and into fall camp. 

4 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe step 1 in this process is to stop getting blown out.

Good teams in this era still get blown out. It doesn't happen 5 times a season or anything like that, but it's a pretty big percentage of just about any teams losses. The offenses just have so many current advantages that it doesn't take much for a game to get out of hand. 

Step 1 is developing a game-like mindset every day. One of the true hallmarks of those old teams was that Saturday was easier than Tuesday. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Good teams in this era still get blown out. It doesn't happen 5 times a season or anything like that, but it's a pretty big percentage of just about any teams losses. The offenses just have so many current advantages that it doesn't take much for a game to get out of hand. 

Step 1 is developing a game-like mindset every day. One of the true hallmarks of those old teams was that Saturday was easier than Tuesday. 

We will probably get blown out at least once this year. We can't let it get us down or make us question the staff. In a couple years, it will be the Huskers delivering the beat downs, and I bet we are on the good side of most blow outs this year.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The maddening thing when it came to Beck is the lack of consistency, he'd roll out games where Nebraska would be hanging 40+ and other times they would just lay an egg.  The epitome of it for me was the last game he coached against USC in the Holiday Bowl.  That USC team was loaded with playmakers and Nebraska rolled all over the field against them.  I know BP did Beck zero favors when he was the HC but I couldn't help but think when I was watching that game was, "Good grief, where the heck has THIS offense been all year?"

Beck's system wasn't a problem, but his play calling often was. He'd set up opposing defenses, and then forget to call what he was setting them up for.

6 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Are we getting back to that championship mentality? I stumbled across this last night 

It’s hard to believe that we’re close to the mindset that these players had. I’ve heard some good things and not so good things from coaches following spring practices. I think it will take several years of better results and better recruiting before players start to believe this is possible and develop the kind of drive these guys had. I believe step 1 in this process is to stop getting blown out.  Frost’s experience and familiarity with Nebraska probably makes him the coach most likely to succeed in turning the program around so hopefully next season we’ll see signs of this happening.

Thanks for posting the vid.  It was a cool watch.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

That's the likely scenario, and matches what new head coaches have historically done. There is usually, on average, about a 2 win jump from year 1 to year 2. I would note, however, that Frost having brought a complete staff that just performed a rebuild makes this a very unique situation. They're way ahead this spring in terms of installing schemes, expectations and routines, and that should snowball through summer and into fall camp. 

They will need all the momentum they can get with our "toughest in the nation" schedule and conference which is a meat grinder and has been for some time.