Pro-Style QB

I think it's a stupid designation. It's always been a stupid designation, but as offenses in the NFL adopt more principles we see at the college level (more shotgun, more QB running, faster tempo, etc) it just becomes a silly way to describe an offense/player.

We know what characteristics this offense needs, better to focus on those than trying to divide all QBs into two categories.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

I think it's a stupid designation. It's always been a stupid designation, but as offenses in the NFL adopt more principles we see at the college level (more shotgun, more QB running, faster tempo, etc) it just becomes a silly way to describe an offense/player.

We know what characteristics this offense needs, better to focus on those than trying to divide all QBs into two categories.

So true. 

The "pro style QB" of the present and future looks to be Wentz, Goff, Allen types. All of whom would be great in this offense

10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I see from this article QB Targets that several of the top QB targets are pro-style. This has to be incorrect doesn't it? Frost doesn't want pro-style QBs in his offense; he just released POB. Switzer recruited Troy AIkman to a wishbone offense, so I suppose it could happen. Any thoughts on this?

Scott Frost will target the best qb prospects period whether they are pro, dual or listed as an ATH. Its not as much about wheels as it is about winning and if a guy has 'it' Frost will target him. 

I agree with the other posters about designations being dumb.

If you watch some film of the QB's listed as pro-style, they are all good runners. (Gunnel maybe not as much, but he was offered by the last staff and as far as I know is not connected to this staff in any way) The main thing that gets them designated as pro-style is the offense they run, not really their abilities, and even that is questionable.

Frost is not going to bring in a QB that he thinks will limit his offense.

• Plus1 1

Pro-style QB:  Strong arm, accurate, and perhaps slow of footspeed.  

Is that about right?  If so, I suspect that last trait would keep a lot of QB recruits off Frost's radar.  That'd be my guess anyway.  

On 4/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, Hunter94 said:

dual threat is the mind set to have........but an accurate passer, a guy who can make all the throws AND a good decision maker.....maybe that is even more important in this multiple offense Frost is going to run.

I don't think so. Bo feasted on immobile QBs, but struggled with QBs that could not run. Even McBride struggled with running QBs.

Edited by MichiganDad3
5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't think so. Bo feasted on immobile QBs, but struggled with QBs that could run. Even McBride struggled with running QBs.

Hunter didn't say he didn't want a mobile QB.

But, as we have seen in the past, a mobile QB that can't consistently make the passes necessary, greatly limits the offense.  HIs main #1 job is managing the offense and distributing the ball to the play makers.  If he can't do that with the WRs running routs, it limits the offense.

Yes, he needs to be able to pick up yards with his feet with either called plays or scrambling opportunities.  BUT.....that's not his #1 job.

• Plus1 1

No pro team wants a slow-footed quarterback. Mobile quarterbacks will always be valued, even if they're not called upon to be dual-threats.

But if you're a dual threat without pocket patience, and completing less than 55% of your passes, you won't last long. That's getting to be the case in college, too.

The real definition of pro-style quarterback is being 6' 4."  Some teams won't even look at shorter guys. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No pro team wants a slow-footed quarterback. Mobile quarterbacks will always be valued, even if they're not called upon to be dual-threats.

But if you're a dual threat without pocket patience, and completing less than 55% of your passes, you won't last long. That's getting to be the case in college, too.

The real definition of pro-style quarterback is being 6' 4."  Some teams won't even look at shorter guys. 

Aaron Rodgers mobility is part of what makes him so valued especially with some of the offensive lines he has played with. 

Andrew Luck was a helluva tough runner in college, who scaled it back for the NFL.

Sometimes Brett Favre looked like a statue, but he had great footwork that let him buy time and improvise. 

Tom Brady has always been elusive, and also knows how and when to kill a play rather than risk a mistake. 

Tanner Lee lacked these qualities. The team didn't suffer because they had a pro-style quarterback, they just didn't have a very good pro-style quarterback.

• Plus1 1