Pro-Style QB

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No pro team wants a slow-footed quarterback. Mobile quarterbacks will always be valued, even if they're not called upon to be dual-threats.

But if you're a dual threat without pocket patience, and completing less than 55% of your passes, you won't last long. That's getting to be the case in college, too.

The real definition of pro-style quarterback is being 6' 4."  Some teams won't even look at shorter guys. 

Have they heard of Drew Brees?

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Andrew Luck was a helluva tough runner in college, who scaled it back for the NFL.

Sometimes Brett Favre looked like a statue, but he had great footwork that let him buy time and improvise. 

Tom Brady has always been elusive, and also knows how and when to kill a play rather than risk a mistake. 

Tanner Lee lacked these qualities. The team didn't suffer because they had a pro-style quarterback, they just didn't have a very good pro-style quarterback.

And Callahan took a team to the super bowl on the legs of Rich Gannon, and still didn't see the value of a mobile QB.

POB was a good passer with size and some strength and general QB skills that would exceed those of most any recent walk on we've had that I can recall.  He certainly was much better than Fyfe in my view.   Frost let him go after about 6 practices.   That tells me that Frost wants (very much) a QB who can legitimately run with the ball and be a threat to the defense doing so.   POB was NOT going to scare many defensive coordinators with his running skills - I am not sure Gebbia does either frankly.  Gebbia is quicker but won't break many or any tackles.  

Would Frost have recruited Gebbia?   I personally doubt it.  I don't think you should understate the true real dual threat skills Frost wants and needs to run his offense.  Token runs won't win games vs the better half of our schedule in my view.  Doesn't have to run 4.5 but he better be sub 4.7.  I think Frost wants 4.4 and be 6'1" and 200 lbls or more.   He'll take what he can find but I don't think Frost will recruit any Dan Foutz or Dan Marino QBs no matter their pass completion and accuracy numbers.