Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
seaofred92

Lincoln Airport (LNK) Struggling To Attract Passengers

Recommended Posts

http://journalstar.com/business/local/passenger-numbers-decline-again-at-the-lincoln-airport/article_7e06ce4f-09f1-5429-a8a1-ad50672121db.html

 

Quote

A rebound in passenger numbers for one of the Lincoln Airport's two airlines wasn't enough to avert another monthly decline.

 

Delta Air Lines saw its passenger numbers in Lincoln grow 2 percent in March compared with a year ago, but the increase was more than offset by a 15 percent drop at United Airlines.

 

That left overall passenger numbers for the month down 8 percent, the fourth straight monthly decline going back to last year.

 

Through the first quarter of the year, Delta's numbers are down 5 percent compared with a year ago, while United's numbers are down 11 percent. That's an overall drop of 9 percent for commercial passenger traffic through the first three months of the year.

 

Thanks to a 58 percent increase in charter passengers in the first quarter, overall passenger numbers are down slightly less 7 percent.

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Who would ever fly into LIncoln?

 

The 300,000+ people who live in the metro area, if prices were decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fly to Lincoln 2-3 times a year on Delta to visit my brother but obviously don't live in the area so am unfamiliar with the price differential. Is it typically that much more expensive than flying to Omaha? I've flown into Omaha, Lincoln, and Grand Island. Possibly flying to North Platte for Nebraskaland Days this summer as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've flown from and to Lincoln. Omaha is just too close though. Especially if you don't need to pay to park there.

Edited by Moiraine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew from Lincoln to Omaha and back on a commercial liner once (long story) so I don't have any other reference about the LNK airport, but I've anecdotally heard from a lot of people that flying from Omaha is usually cheaper.

 

I've met a ton of Husker fans flying into Omaha for games, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I fly to Lincoln 2-3 times a year on Delta to visit my brother but obviously don't live in the area so am unfamiliar with the price differential. Is it typically that much more expensive than flying to Omaha? I've flown into Omaha, Lincoln, and Grand Island. Possibly flying to North Platte for Nebraskaland Days this summer as well.

I fly home from Detroit or Flint at least twice a year. Only once has Lincoln been cheaper to fly into than Omaha and that was like Easter Sunday of something, which I didn't book. Typical Lincoln is at least 100 to 200 dollars more per ticket. Not worth it when someone can pick me up in Omaha. Even when I've driven to Chicago and flown out of O'Hare it was still 100 bucks more to fly into LNK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying into Lincoln is typically going to be more expensive than flying into Omaha. There are more carriers flying into Omaha, so they have to be more competitive and offer lower prices.  With only a couple carriers flying into Lincoln they can charge a premium to fly into that airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I price flights out of Lincoln from time to time and they just never work due to cost (usually).

 

I have been loving flying out of Grand Island though.  Great airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 9:16 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I price flights out of Lincoln from time to time and they just never work due to cost (usually).

 

I have been loving flying out of Grand Island though.  Great airport.

Grand Island's airport is awesome. Couldn't believe how nice and modern it was when I landed there the first time. I always look at GRI, LNK, and OMA when I fly to NE. 

 

My brother flew out of Kearney once (EAR) on Great Lakes airlines. I think they're defunct now and I don't know if there is another commercial carrier servicing Kearney currently though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GI did a great job with their airport.  If they can find a way to get a flight to Denver they will be set out in Central Nebraska.  Omaha is on pace to have a record year, breaking last years record year.

 

Lincoln is large enough to have solid coverage tough to compete with so may more options an hour away though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I price flights out of Lincoln from time to time and they just never work due to cost (usually).

 

I have been loving flying out of Grand Island though.  Great airport.

I looked into flying Allegiant to GI before but had trouble finding car rentals in the area...Has that ever been addressed?

 

My Son and I love to road trip (to a certain extent) so we usually fly to Denver (from Phoenix) which isn't much farther to my hometown, ..2/3rds of the ~1300 miles for half the price of PHX to OMA, then finally end up in Lincoln to visit friends and my sister...If we time it right, we can even squeeze in a few miles of tornado chasing between Denver and Holdrege.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I looked into flying Allegiant to GI before but had trouble finding car rentals in the area...Has that ever been addressed?

 

My Son and I love to road trip (to a certain extent) so we usually fly to Denver (from Phoenix) which isn't much farther to my hometown, ..2/3rds of the ~1300 miles for half the price of PHX to OMA, then finally end up in Lincoln to visit friends and my sister...If we time it right, we can even squeeze in a few miles of tornado chasing between Denver and Holdrege.

I know there are rental cars in the area but I’m told they aren’t as convenient as a bigger airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×