SI: Scott Frost's Plan to Lead Nebraska out of the Darkness

The part that had me going, damn right, was Coach Frost's questioning of why, after decades of success doing it a particular way, was: why we went away from it?  It made no sense then, and it doesn't make any sense today.  It would be one thing if the way we used to do things stopped working.  But they didn't.  We just had a succession of morons in the AD and UNL top leaderahip spots who put their own absurd ego before the best interests of the program and players therein.  And the program, players, and us fans have suffered ever since.  But now, we got the only coach who truly understands WHY Nebraska was so good, for so long.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 4

@Making Chimichangas My thoughts exactly.

"Well, the leadership on campus and in the AD office ruined this place because it was either guys who thought, I wanna do it my way, let’s go get a West Coast offense guy, or they didn’t understand what made Nebraska so good for all of those years.”

It's the same thing we've all been saying for years, but it's nice to finally hear someone inside the program acknowledge it.

Other upperclassmen say a fractured staff exacerbated by the arrival of defensive coordinator Bob Diaco prior to the 2017 only made things worse for the players—much, much worse.

The Strain was more with the coaching staff than the players. You feel for some of the guys who were trying to do things right (Parella and D. Williams, from the sound of things). For as 'nice' as Riley was, it's incredible how much drama he brought in.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Toe said:

@Making Chimichangas My thoughts exactly.

It's the same thing we've all been saying for years, but it's nice to finally hear someone inside the program acknowledge it.

The Strain was more with the coaching staff than the players. You feel for some of the guys who were trying to do things right (Parella and D. Williams, from the sound of things). For as 'nice' as Riley was, it's incredible how much drama he brought in.

This is why I have said that Riley didn't walk into some toxic situation...Riley walked into a regular situation that pretty much every coach takes over when they come into a program...he just had no clue how to manage it.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A sneaky good part of this story is Frost giving the national writer some 'money' quotes....

I hope it sticks in the OWH crew's craw:D

This is a pretty common result when it comes to local vs. national coverage. Case in point, I have a good friend who was an executive producer at a San Antonio TV station. He said Greg Popovich and the Spurs organization routinely treated local media like garbage and showed clear preference to the national outlets, and that included giving national groups exclusive 1-on-1 opportunities while largely ignoring the local teams.

It's also comparing apples to oranges a bit. There's a big tone and conversational difference between a Bruce Feldman 1-on-1 with a coach in his office and pool interviews after practice.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is why I have said that Riley didn't walk into some toxic situation...Riley walked into a regular situation that pretty much every coach takes over when they come into a program...he just had no clue how to manage it.

Some apparently still want to believe that Bo cast some voodoo mind-control spell over the players, and that it wasn't, you know, exactly what any team's reaction would be when you fire their 9-win coach and replace him with a career .500 guy...

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Some apparently still want to believe that Bo cast some voodoo mind-control spell over the players, and that it wasn't, you know, exactly what any team's reaction would be when you fire their 9-win coach and replace him with a career .500 guy.

Meh, Bo did no favors to NU on his way out.  Then again, it's probly that way with any coaching change.  Bo was just a bit more public about it. 

========================  

But that's all ancient history.  This thread is about Scott Frost and the Huskers going forward!  :koolaid2:

Edited by NUance
  • Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

Some apparently still want to believe that Bo cast some voodoo mind-control spell over the players, and that it wasn't, you know, exactly what any team's reaction would be when you fire their 9-win coach and replace him with a career .500 guy...

Just a suggestion.  Everything is good and positive right now.  Let's not rehash this whole mess.

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

Meh, Bo did no favors to NU on his way out.  Then again, it's probly that way with any coaching change.  Bo was just a bit more public about it. 

========================  

But that's all ancient history.  This thread is about Scott Frost and the Huskers going forward!  :koolaid2:

Yeah, it is pretty much that way with any change...really in almost any field/business/sport...

1 minute ago, Toe said:

It was a private conversation that somebody leaked to the press...

I was actually referring to the off campus team meeting and Bo's quotes about Eichorst.  But that's all ancient history.  This thread is about Scott Frost and the Huskers going forward!  :koolaid2: