Learning Frost's Offense

Wasn't really sure which "Frost's Offense" thread to put this in:

Scott Frost and Quads: How Nebraska Will Win With Overloaded Formations

Scott Frost’s University of Central Florida offense was so damn pretty. It was beautiful. The prospect of the 2017 Associated Press Coach of the Year at Nebraska has me excited.

I love how Frost spreads teams out to run the ball, getting advantageous box counts, pulling all sorts of linemen and favoring the run to the pass. (He often talks with a run first mentality) The attack is a delicious layer cake, starting with a small package of tempo plays and building up.

• Plus1 1

On 4/17/2018 at 10:58 AM, Xmas32 said:

Husker Chalk Talk does great work and did a terrific breakdown of the Frost offense last year.  Highly recommend.

https://huskerchalktalk.com/

Yes, THIS. Specifically the two-part breakdown of the Frost offense (and why it drives defenses NUTS) is fantastic:
Talking Scott Frost

&
Talking Scott Frost Part II

These two articles were written before Frost was even hired. The author (whoever he is) tells me his time has been at a premium, but he hopes to have new content - perhaps as early as this weekend. The author goes by RK and describes himself just as " a guy with a keyboard" but he seems to know his stuff and writes about it very well.

One of the things that really irritated many of us with Riley's offense was how poorly he used motion. At least I felt that it tended to do more harm than good, more often than not.

Notice in the quads article that most of these are motioning into quads. That's important, because Frost is able to create quads out of sets and personnel groups you'd never expect and often right before the snap. He's not just lining up in quads and running weak side, something Langs did a lot out of trips. Frost uses quads to attack downfield. He uses it to break your defense.