That time a couple of World Herald reporters bickered on Twitter

I don't know if this is going to turn out to be a hoax, but at the moment it appears there's some bad blood between Brad Dickson, the OWH's humor guy, and Micah Mertes, the OWH's movie reviewer.

It starts off mild with this tweet from Dickson:

For some reason, this prompts Mertes to launch this response, which seems to have nothing to do with Dickson's original tweet:

They go on. The rest are all screen shots, because some of the tweets in this chain have been taken down, and I imagine that most of the rest are coming down soon, too:

8YnGskr.png

PQ2oYkt.png

Y90L57m.png

All this ends with Dickson blocking Mertes. Which Mertes celebrates.

UjtHxT0.png

So we're either going to find out that this was all some joke these two are playing on the Twitter, or we're going to see a ton of these tweets deleted soon, or we're going to see someone finding a new gig pretty soon. 

:snacks:

• Plus1 3

That line by Mertes was a solid zinger.

I don't know what to make of Mertes.  He comes across like a completely self involved douchebag in both his reviews and when he's on the radio with Severe but I can't tell if that's how he actually is as a person or if he's deliberately trying to be a troll.

Dickson is just plain unfunny most of the time.

Dickson doesn't actually work at the OWH anymore; he was part of the last round of layoffs. In terms of Mertes, I agree with @Xmas32: he is a douche, both in print and when he's on with Severe on 590.  I gotta give that round to Dickson: "I'm trying to clarify because many Omahans are not familiar with your work" was a good jab, but the "Is that where they found you" comeback was good as well.

47 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

I think it’s weird that people ask others to block them on Twitter because they don’t have the self-control to not view their profile on their own. 

“Block me because I can’t stop myself from going to your feed and viewing your tweets, even though I think your tweets are stupid and I don’t agree with them.”

Yeah. All he needs to do is just block Dickson. That whole exchange was unnecessary.  Someone on the twitter said they thought it may have been a bit. Looking at Mertes' timeline, I don't think it is.

I've never found Dickson funny, and his popularity on the OWH is odd to me, but I never thought he was much of a DB on Twitter, though.  Apparently that's not the prevailing wisdom, and he (like Severe & Lee B) blocks a lot of people. 

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've never found Dickson funny, and his popularity on the OWH is odd to me, but I never thought he was much of a DB on Twitter, though.  Apparently that's not the prevailing wisdom, and he (like Severe & Lee B) blocks a lot of people. 

I went back through some of Dickson's tweets since he was let go and it has just been a constant barrage of mudslinging thrown at the OWH and their staff. He has a small but very involved fan base and they're all festering in one another at the moment. I think Micah simply took the opportunity to finally throw it back in his face, even though that probably wasn't the right call.

I believe BD even went on KFAB recently to basically just throw shade on the OWH. It's pretty fascinating the lengths to which he is going with all of this.

IIRC that was early March or February when those decisions were made. Since then, he's either retweeted or tweeted hundreds of different insults at the OWH from the looks of it. I stopped skimming around mid-to-late March.

Nowadays, if you're not driving web traffic as a reporter or content provider, it's tough to justify your space/effort. I never found his humor interesting or funny. I think it appealed to a small (relatively speaking) subset of people.