Husker Coaches Clinic (Power T's Recap)

Thanks for the info Coach!  Between this and reading Feldman's SI article today, I'm way more optimistic about Husker Football than I have been at any point in the past 20 years.  I wouldn't trade this coaching staff for any other in the country.  

Thanks for the information PowerT.  Good to hear the program is in great hands.  I saw Held speak at the Glazier in KC and he was awesome.  Their is a great passion in his voice when he talked about coaching RB's, and not "if" but when they get this thing going it is going to be real special.  

13 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

Ok, I'm sorry I made you all wait for this and it's probably not going to be as in depth as you'd like but here goes.

Coach Frost

- Opened the clinic real positively by emphatically praising the number of coaches in attendance (640 which spanned across many states)

- Emphasized playing and practicing fast, attacking each piece of the program fast

- Showed us film of UCF and how he likes to formation people to death. The more formations the more opponents have to spend time in practice lining up.

- Each one of his playcalls fall under the categories of "Tempo", "Motion", or "Unique Formation"

- Emphasized relationships and made the comment about each player has a story, he wants to know each one.

Coach Duval (Best one of the day)

- This guy will completely change the culture of the weight room for NU. 

- Left in 2001, said this place was unrecognizable when he got back

- Absence of Husker Power Logo (lifter squatting)

- Praised Mike Arthur and Boyd Epley

- Increase Lean Body Mass, decrease body fat - emphasis on lifting heavy and emphasis on vertical jump (if Vert is improved, everything else will -- Pro Agility, 10 yd dash, 40 yd dash etc)

- Khalil Mack at Buffalo - As freshman weighed 219, 15% BF, 32 inch Vert --- As Senior weighed 265, 7% BF, 42 inch vert -- Squatting 900 lbs - No offers but Buffalo as senior in HS

Coach Held 

- Talked about RB's - vision lining up with Frost - talked about various technique and Inside Zone scheme. Play fakes

- Phenomenal coach

Coach DeWitt

- Outside backers are in special hands. 

- OLB's have to play various technique - Head up TE, Outside TE, etc...

- Shock - Lock - Escape (engaging blockers and shedding)

- Everything about this position is VIOLENT - won't have it any other way

- CTS/DVE (Collision the S#!T out of them/Deny Vertical Entry) - fancy way of jamming receivers - rerouting is with feet and body, not hands

I unfortunately missed practice the next morning due to the coaches social the night before. You know how that goes. Wasn't too happy about it, but I just can't handle the next day anymore like I used to if I go to hard the night before. Sorry!

I know it's probably not exactly what you all wanted but the bottom line is that this thing is in great hands. I could feel the culture being changed while I was there. I've been to a Pelini Clinic and a Mike Riley Clinic, and man oh man...my eyes were opened to a whole different world when it comes to college coaches. These guys have the "it" factor and each one I heard speak talked about unified vision and their love for Coach Frost and how Scott is an incredible human being to his players.

The theme that kept coming up was RELATIONSHIPS. With players, staff, community.

With regard to the bolded. Are you sure? I thought DBs were supposed to line up 10 yards off the LOS and follow the receivers around. After watching the past 3 years, I thought it was illegal to touch a receiver.

14 hours ago, Coach Power'T said:

i missed practice the next morning due to the coaches social the night before. You know how that goes. Wasn't too happy about it, but I just can't handle the next day anymore like I used to if I go to hard the night before. Sorry!

You booze you lose

Great read and info.  Thanks Coach!

• Plus1 1

Awesome to hear/read, just reassures what most if not all of us have been feeling and thinking as far as this staff coming here and turning things around. We've swung and missed on the past couple hires and it seems like this is what we've all been waiting for. Very encouraging. Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

With regard to the bolded. Are you sure? I thought DBs were supposed to line up 10 yards off the LOS and follow the receivers around. After watching the past 3 years, I thought it was illegal to touch a receiver.

He (Dewitt) was talking about OLB pass coverage. I didn’t go see the DB coach

edit: oops I see your sarcasm now

Edited by Coach Power'T