Navy SEAL Damian Jackson

Former Navy SEAL Damian Jackson's Example Having an Impact at Nebraska
By ADAM KRAMER  APRIL 18, 2018 

<snip>  "He's obviously tougher than almost everybody on the planet," Frost says. "A lot of the principles they learn are exactly what we're trying to establish on our football team. Hopefully we can establish a culture that's even close to what he's used to."  LINK 

Sure hope we see him on Saturday!  :koolaid2:

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

nice article.  I could see him pass rushing and getting all over QBs from that DE spot.  Not huge in weight but he may have an advantage in his conditioning, speed and attitude over any huge tackle that would try to stop him.

He put on a helmet for the first time last year.  Probably a little premature to assume he has an advantage over starting D1 tackles

• Plus1 3

Doubt he'll see much time as a DE but he is one of the guys they are grooming to take over for Ober as long-snapper, could well help on other ST's as well. Could definitely see him as somebody that helps set the tone for the program. Frost is looking to get back to when we were the most hardcore program in football, well few on the planet know more about pushing past your perceived limits than SEALS.

I think I made this comment before, this kid is a leader, by example.  He will play at some point, but his attitude, drive, desire and loyalty will help this staff and team.  His attitude is exactly what I would expect of him.  I think we are very fortunate he is here, and we will reap the rewards very soon.  He is exactly what Coach Frost needs to get his message accross to those that might not see it clearly.

• Plus1 1

If Coach Scott Frost can SOMEHOW keep Damian Jackson from EATING LIVE HUMANS during the games he's involved in, I'll be shocked!  Maybe the fans could throw him fresh RED warm beef quarters during breaks in the action?  I think Charlie McBride would have LOVED to have had this kid on his squad.  Ok, ok, now you all know I'm old.  GO BIG BY GOD RED!

• Plus1 1

He exemplifies whats been missing for years.  Self sacrifice. Team before self.  No quit attitude.  Drive, relentless motor etc.....He embodies what attitude and level of commitment Frost and Co are demanding.  Even if he never plays a snap, his attitude and presence will impact this team greatly.  

• Plus1 1

If one head coach has a Navy Seal on the roster and the the team is plagued with lack of accountability and work ethic, and another coach has the same Navy Seal but has a team known for mental and physical toughness (hoping this becomes the case), I'm going to go ahead and give the coach credit. 

I appreciate the service the Jackson gave to our nation and I'm glad he's on the roster if he can contribute in some way.  He'll be a fun story if he gets on the field, especially if he ever were to become a role player of some sort.  But I don't believe Jackson's work ethic is going to magically rub off just because he's on the team.  Yes he's an example of hard work and dedication, but so are a lot of coaches on this staff.  It's going to come down to coaching on and especially off the field.

On 4/21/2018 at 8:10 AM, funhusker said:

If one head coach has a Navy Seal on the roster and the the team is plagued with lack of accountability and work ethic, and another coach has the same Navy Seal but has a team known for mental and physical toughness (hoping this becomes the case), I'm going to go ahead and give the coach credit. 

I appreciate the service the Jackson gave to our nation and I'm glad he's on the roster if he can contribute in some way.  He'll be a fun story if he gets on the field, especially if he ever were to become a role player of some sort.  But I don't believe Jackson's work ethic is going to magically rub off just because he's on the team.  Yes he's an example of hard work and dedication, but so are a lot of coaches on this staff.  It's going to come down to coaching on and especially off the field.

Sure, his presence won't magically transform everyone else.  But he is bound to influence others to some extent.  Maybe he'll have a big influence.  Maybe not.  But it sure is a great story, and it will be fun to see how Jackson's career at NU plays out.  

• Plus1 1