Which Nebraska QB would you choose for Frost's offense?

Pick a Nebraska QB (past or present)  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the difference is - as you alluded to - the advantages are not equal and opposite.  If you rate them on a 10 point scale, Ganz was probably an 8 passing while Martinez was maybe a 6 or 7.  But on the rushing scale, Ganz was maybe a 5 while Martinez was a 10.  So while in general I agree that Frost would rather have a little better passer, the possibility of having an guy who is a threat to score every play would be enough to give up a little throwing the ball.

On a 10 point scale of good decision making, Ganz was an 8 and Martinez was a 4. Related, on a scale of being able to trust your QB to be smart and reliable and safe with the football, probably similar numbers of comparison. Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton, before anything else, are savvy, smart quarterbacks who don't make a ton of mistakes. Martinez had way more 'wow' moments that were great and 'wow moments that were headshaking.

T-Mart was closer to Ganz in throwing ability than Ganz was to him in running ability, but he also had a penchant for being a turnover machine. 

57 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are lots of words and arguments to use about Martinez if you didn't think he was a great QB but "liability" is a horribly inaccurate one. Martinez sometimes carried the team on his back during those 3 years.

Didn't he lead the nation in fumbles every year or something like that? 

But yes, he did carry the team on his back often. 

6 hours ago, Dewiz said:

I would go T-Mart because I feel more confident in Mario developing T-Mart over time where Tim Beck failed at. 

I couldn’t find the espn interview, but this article pretty much says what the interview did.  T-Mart and Armstrong were never going to be elite QBs in any offense.

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit/

It’s all good—just different perspectives but there is a lot more T-Mart on here than I expected. 

I am guessing I am older than many of you, but I’d easily take the old option qb’s like crouch, Frazier, Frost over T-Mart to run Scott’s offense. 

You can can give me completion stats all day, but those guys had a mentality that I think was missing in T-Marts game. If they were in Scott’s system from day one, they would have been amazing in that system as well. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Funny nobody is backing Turner Gill in the thread but he is second in votes. I went Gill!

If the poll was limited to one vote my vote would go to Turner Gill.  Very mobile, great field general, and huge arm.  He's perfectly suited to what (I think) Frost will be doing.  

Another guy who would be great in this offense but didn't garner many votes is Gerry Gdowski.  Very mobile, and he might have been a better passer than his stats indicate.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, NUance said:

If the poll was limited to one vote my vote would go to Turner Gill.  Very mobile, great field general, and huge arm.  He's perfectly suited to what (I think) Frost will be doing.  

Another guy who would be great in this offense but didn't garner many votes is Gerry Gdowski.  Very mobile, and he might have been a better passer than his stats indicate.  

Many great options on the list but I think you're right about Gill. Gdowski would have broken an NCAA passer rating record his senior year but he was 3 attempts per game short of the minimum. 

Taylor Martinez had some truly terrible turnover problems. In 2012, only eight Division I players lost six or more fumbles, and two of them played for Nebraska - Abdullah and Martinez. From 2011-2012, Martinez led the nation in 29 fumbles. Count me out on being interested in him running Frost's offense. He was more of an asset than a liability during his career, but, those turnovers were nightmares.

• Plus1 1

I explored this a couple of months ago in a post, but Joe Ganz is pretty much the template for the modern QB that can best run the offense that Frost wants to run.

Others that would have fit include Berringer, Gdwoski and Steve Taylor. Turner Gill would have been phenomenal in this offense. 

One player that would have been very, VERY intriguing to see would be Bobby Newcombe. Had he not gotten hurt, who knows what Eric Crouch's legacy at Nebraska is? 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Funny nobody is backing Turner Gill in the thread but he is second in votes. I went Gill!

Eric Crouch is up there with votes too and not too many people talking about him. I voted for Crouch with one of my votes. He was always a threat to just tuck it and run and take it to the house. He was fun to watch.

• Plus1 1

Players like Gill, Frazier, Frost, Crouch would excel in this offense.  However, much of that is due to our memories of them being very very well coached.  If they were at Nebraska any time from 2004 to 2017, they potentially would be muddled in the middle of the pack with everyone else.

Martinez is the wild card.  I would love to see him in this offense pre injury.  Post injury, his success would mirror what we saw with his career and there would be better options.

My #1 pick is Brook.  The guy was great at making decisions, staying calm under pressure, team player, better passer than the first 4 mentioned and enough speed and athleticism to punish defenses that don't respect it.

His decision making and ability to distribute the ball to play makers would be awesome in this offense.