*** Official 2018 Spring Game Thread ***

Right now, I'd say Martinez looks the best overall. Not perfect, but seems to be the guy with all the pieces. Gebbia seemed a little off the mark at times. Those bobbled snaps were a bit alarming (not sure who they had at center?). There's not a loser in the... uhh... bunch, though, and it's a long time until Akron.

Running game still a work in progress. Obviously a few nice runs, and looking better than last season, but seemed pretty inconsistent.

That first pass on the very first play of the scrimmage by Gebbia to McQuitty (that got called back on a holding penalty) was a thing of beauty.  I loved Martinez's speed and also his poise and ability to go through his progressions out there as a Freshman.  Right now I think Gebbia has the edge but this is going to be an ongoing battle.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Right now, I'd say Martinez looks the best overall. Not perfect, but seems to be the guy with all the pieces. Gebbia seemed a little off the mark at times. Those bobbled snaps were a bit alarming (not sure who they had at center?). There's not a loser in the... uhh... bunch, though, and it's a long time until Akron.

Running game still a work in progress. Obviously a few nice runs, and looking better than last season, but seemed pretty inconsistent.

The good thing is I think we will blow Akron the F out like we should, after that, there are no guarantees.

33 minutes ago, brophog said:

Yeah, if we picked QBs as starters based on spring games we'd have a horrible prediction rate.

One thing I noticed is Gebbia and Vedral were pushing a little bit, put too much stress on themselves, whereas the other two were more relaxed. The white team QBs naturally looked much better when the white team offensive line played well, which sadly wasn't that often. Martinez is comfortable running the ball and making quick throws, so he looked good. That's not to say he won't look good in the fall, too, but this was his element.

The other thing to notice...Gebbia and Martinez were never more than two feet away from Mario. If one talked to him, the other wasn't far. Should be a very competitive summer at the position.

vedral does not have the athletic ability of Martinez or gebbia

Overall thougts on the spring game:

1.  Adrian Martinez will be the #1 QB by the end of fall camp.  I saw nothing from any of the other QBs to make me think they can beat him out.  He is ideal for this offense.

2.  A missed PAT and FG.  We should never miss a PAT...it is a 13 yard kick from the middle of the field.  The FG (I actually cannot remember what yard line the ball was at for this attempt so I don't know how long the attempt was.) miss might have just been nerves.

3.  The DBs still need to learn the core concept of turning their heads back to look for the football.  Saw way too much of the old "technique" out there.  They need to take #NoFearOfFailure to heart and start making plays on the ball.

4.  Too many horizontal passes to the sideline for my liking, but that's probably a nit-pick.  I also may have bad feelings about these sideline throws because of Tanner Lee from last season.

5.  Saw some really good physical running from the RBs today.  Saw many instances where they kept those legs churning and moving the pile.

6.  Defensively we're a work in progress.  Saw some really good things like pursuit to the ball, getting off blocks, etc.  But also saw too much hesitation in the secondary.  The good news is, they looked more physical overall.

7.  The OL might actually be a strong unit.  Had some great pass pro and managed to open some holes for the backs to slip through.

Overall, I really liked what I saw, especially in terms of effort.  We're not there yet, but absolutely heading in the right direction.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Did a White Team defender just PUSH Kade Warner in the back in the hope that would make the tackle?

:facepalm:

That stood out to me, because most every other tackle was a good wrap up and to the ground, but after watching the replay it was a D Lineman who didn't have a good angle on Warner & he could just about only reach out & touch him.  It wasn't as bad as it looked live.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

That stood out to me, because most every other tackle was a good wrap up and to the ground, but after watching the replay it was a D Lineman who didn't have a good angle on Warner & he could just about only reach out & touch him.  It wasn't as bad as it looked live.

This what sucks about not having tv at my apartment...I had to watch the game at a sports bar and only got to see the play once.

I thought Kade Warner was a ways downfield and the push came from a DB.  Like I said though, I only got to see the play once.  I just thought it was funny.

44 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Overall thougts on the spring game:

1.  Adrian Martinez will be the #1 QB by the end of fall camp.  I saw nothing from any of the other QBs to make me think they can beat him out.  He is ideal for this offense.

2.  A missed PAT and FG.  We should never miss a PAT...it is a 13 yard kick from the middle of the field.  The FG (I actually cannot remember what yard line the ball was at for this attempt so I don't know how long the attempt was.) miss might have just been nerves.

3.  The DBs still need to learn the core concept of turning their heads back to look for the football.  Saw way too much of the old "technique" out there.  They need to take #NoFearOfFailure to heart and start making plays on the ball.

4.  Too many horizontal passes to the sideline for my liking, but that's probably a nit-pick.  I also may have bad feelings about these sideline throws because of Tanner Lee from last season.

5.  Saw some really good physical running from the RBs today.  Saw many instances where they kept those legs churning and moving the pile.

6.  Defensively we're a work in progress.  Saw some really good things like pursuit to the ball, getting off blocks, etc.  But also saw too much hesitation in the secondary.  The good news is, they looked more physical overall.

7.  The OL might actually be a strong unit.  Had some great pass pro and managed to open some holes for the backs to slip through.

Overall, I really liked what I saw, especially in terms of effort.  We're not there yet, but absolutely heading in the right direction.

You better quit being a fan if 4 is against your liking.

• Plus1 4

Well, I couldn't watch and only listened to about 2/3rds on radio so limited on the ability to judge.   But, all things considered, it sounded "OK" with a long ways to go to become a relatively finished product.   There is time but it would be really nice to have about 15 summer practices and then an extra 7 in August before full fall camp.   

Frost said the team has a ways to go to get in good playing shape.  As hard as they have worked, I think that ought to confirm what we've been thinking that our conditioning and work ethic has not been there for a long time.   This give me even more reason to hope that Frost & Co can get this team whipped into shape in time to have a winning season and get the program headed in the right direction after so many years of drift and mediocrity.   

There remain plenty of concerns in areas such as O line and D line and LBs but there is hope.  Not sure why we're so short on DBs and that will be a real problem this fall if we dont find another 4 or 5.    We seem to have quite a few WRs so maybe better move one or two over and get some depth because we don't need our best athletes watching as our opponents are running up the score.   

• Plus1 1