*** Official 2018 Spring Game Thread ***

Watching the game over again, a couple of thoughts...

Impressed with the three QBs new to the Frost system after so few practices.

Vedrel’s INT should have been called a sack, but was still a bad decision.

Impressed with Ozigbo’ hands catching & running after the catch today.

Was glad to see Freedom making 3 tackles on three consecutive plays. He was wasted in Diaco’s scheme.

Bunch should be given a scholarship.

If I was the opposing DC, Martinez would be the QB giving me nightmares the week of the game against NU.

Concerned with depth at O-Line & our defensive backfield has me stocking up on Rolaids.

Frost said this was “vanilla” today, but what I saw looked a lot more like “Rocky Road” for Cornhusker opponents!

#GBR

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

This doesn't look like a lame ass Riley offense.  

That is the number one takeaway from this game. We ran our offense and defense...this wasn't something thrown together as an exhibition for the fans. How many spring games can we say that? First spring game and the installation on both sides of the ball is ahead of any time in the three years under Riley. This is what a fully fledged offensive system looks like. 

We can argue execution, or who should play, or any of that kind of stuff, but we can't argue that we finally have competent systems in place and coaches that can install those systems. You almost never see first year staffs that can put that kind of product on the field in the first spring game. We have so far to go, but on the other hand, collectively we are so far ahead of where this team has any right to be.

• Plus1 2

My 2 cents:

The offense looked pretty good but I didn't see much out of the defense.  I know it is a spring game so not sure how 100% the defense was giving it.  

Spring game so not going to put too much on it.  QB's and receivers look fairly solid.  Running backs may be a committee.  Ozigbo for short yardage with Bell and Wilbon too.  Bradley to me seems behind those three.  DL, OL, and LB's are alright and I'll call them works in progress that need to obviously be better than those units last season.  DB's and kicking game need help. 

The QB's looked pretty good.  I give the edge to Martinez because it looks like he has a difference making ability to run.  I like Gebbia getting the ball out quickly but Martinez is my 1A and Gebbia my 1B.  

Some players that stood out to me...Martinez, Gebbia, McQuitty, Lindsey, and Greg "The Eel" Bell showed pretty well on offense. On defense Neal and Mo Barry stood out to me.  The Dixon kid looks like he could be a player on defense too.  And Kade Warner...not bad!

After watching the 40 minute replay video of the game, I must say I am more alarmed than reassured.   I thought the game looked too much like organized chaos in many ways.  Too many missed blocks, misreads, etc. The line of scrimmage seemed lost and confused on both sides (offense and defense).   I agree there are way too many sideline passes and not enough down field for my liking.  Those  passes tend to get picked for 6 and haven't worked well for NU for a long long time. 

I want to give the team more time to install the new system but so much of this offense (dare I say it) has similarities to Riley's schemes with far too many jail break and quick screens and not enough slants and deep outs or even sideline outs.   Yes, the QB keepers on the 'option' plays is new but the passing game is too similar.  The line of scrimmage seems out of control and maybe it's just the Frost offense and defense 'at work' but the game is far too 'sandlot' and disorganized.

I hope I am wrong after getting my very first taste of the new systems and schemes and methods but I am afraid having a winning season based on what I say so far is very doubtful.  A LONG LONG WAY TO GO.   We've got time but I have found that what you see in the spring game typically is what you get in the fall.   Rarely do we see a lot of improvement  

• Plus1 2

@84HuskerLaw if you expect the team to be polished and clicking in a new offense and defense after 14 practices, then your expectations are way too high.  The team does have a long ways to go, as they were 4-8 last season for a reason.  Regarding the offense, Frost said the game plan was relatively vanilla.  This probably means very few true RPO's, double-moves by the WR's, or other more complex plays.  All of the passing to the sideline sets up the deep pass off of that.  Frost isn't going to show that in the Spring game, and his QB's may not be quite ready for the read off that type of play.  I think the o-line could be an issue this season, but they are showing more "want-to" and effort than they did the last half of 2017.  One of the big things the team struggled with yesterday was getting the signals in and understanding all of the signals.  That will improve greatly during the season.  If you think the team will not improve at all from the Spring to the actual season, then you are sorely mistaken.

• Plus1 9

I am listening to Big Red Overreaction this morning, and Vrzal makes a good point about the offense and the o-line play.  I don't think Frost will "excuse" poor o-line play, but what the design of this offense can do is hide deficiencies within the offensive line.  That is something that couldn't be said with recent offenses at NU.

• Plus1 1

My predictions from Spring Game:

Martinez will be the QB.

Bell will be the starting RB.

If Dixon gets cleared he will ball out for our D with a few others.

Warner and Bunch are going to end up on scholarship. Warner made a few nice blocks to go with his long TD.

Pickering will be our K.

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

After watching the 40 minute replay video of the game, I must say I am more alarmed than reassured.   I thought the game looked too much like organized chaos in many ways.  Too many missed blocks, misreads, etc. The line of scrimmage seemed lost and confused on both sides (offense and defense).   I agree there are way too many sideline passes and not enough down field for my liking.  Those  passes tend to get picked for 6 and haven't worked well for NU for a long long time. 

I want to give the team more time to install the new system but so much of this offense (dare I say it) has similarities to Riley's schemes with far too many jail break and quick screens and not enough slants and deep outs or even sideline outs.   Yes, the QB keepers on the 'option' plays is new but the passing game is too similar.  The line of scrimmage seems out of control and maybe it's just the Frost offense and defense 'at work' but the game is far too 'sandlot' and disorganized.

I hope I am wrong after getting my very first taste of the new systems and schemes and methods but I am afraid having a winning season based on what I say so far is very doubtful.  A LONG LONG WAY TO GO.   We've got time but I have found that what you see in the spring game typically is what you get in the fall.   Rarely do we see a lot of improvement  

That's certainly the pessimistic view of things.

My view is they've only been practicing with the new staff and new schemes for a few weeks and already look as good as last year's team. I also have an inkling that they might get a bit better before fall...

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am listening to Big Red Overreaction this morning, and Vrzal makes a good point about the offense and the o-line play.  I don't think Frost will "excuse" poor o-line play, but what the design of this offense can do is hide deficiencies within the offensive line.  That is something that couldn't be said with recent offenses at NU.

You mean we might not scrap the run game because they can't block both running plays in the playbook? And we might not ask them to pass block for 5 seconds every play?

That would be nice.

• Plus1 5
7 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

My predictions from Spring Game:

Martinez will be the QB.

Bell will be the starting RB.

If Dixon gets cleared he will ball out for our D with a few others.

Warner and Bunch are going to end up on scholarship. Warner made a few nice blocks to go with his long TD.

Pickering will be our K.

I agree that they might be worthy, but we're still 3 over on scholarships, so 5 guys would have to leave. It could happen, I just don't know which 5. Maybe 1-2 OL and 1-2 LB. After that who knows.