*** Official 2018 Spring Game Thread ***

41 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I agree that they might be worthy, but we're still 3 over on scholarships, so 5 guys would have to leave. It could happen, I just don't know which 5. Maybe 1-2 OL and 1-2 LB. After that who knows.

Yeah, numbers will wittle here soon ish now that they kind of see where they are at on the depth.

41 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I agree that they might be worthy, but we're still 3 over on scholarships, so 5 guys would have to leave. It could happen, I just don't know which 5. Maybe 1-2 OL and 1-2 LB. After that who knows.

Yeah, numbers will wittle here soon ish now that they kind of see where they are at on the depth.

11 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

The QB battle is gonna be a good one.  I wish they would have had Gebbia run a little more to see how it went.  His passing is spot on.  I actually think he is sneaky fast just going off his first run. 

Martinez was the #1 rusher, while Gebbia didn't even make the stat sheet for rushers. Gebbia might be the better passer, but from what we saw yesterday, Martinez seemed like the more complete QB for this offense.

12 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Havent seen anyone mention this, but I wonder if the Will Honas speculation was a bit unfounded. He looked like the same player that showed on his juco tape out there today. Quick to the ball and not afraid of contact. 

Will Honas speculation?  He looked good yesterday I agree.

20 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Will Honas speculation?  He looked good yesterday I agree.

I think people were surprised when Honas was put on the White team, because it was assumed the White team was the lower units.  I think Honas showed that he will be in the middle LB rotation in 2018.

During or after the game, Chinander mentioned that the defense was split more even between the Red and White squads, while the majority of the top 2 unit guys on the offense were on the Red team.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think people were surprised when Honas was put on the White team, because it was assumed the White team was the lower units.  I think Honas showed that he will be in the middle LB rotation in 2018.

During or after the game, Chinander mentioned that the defense was split more even between the Red and White squads, while the majority of the top 2 unit guys on the offense were on the Red team.

Ohhh I see.  That makes sense speculation wise.   :thumbs

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

That's certainly the pessimistic view of things.

It's not pessimistic, it's just flat out incorrect. 

Anybody that thinks this is like Riley's offense doesn't have enough knowledge to even form an opinion that could be deemed pessimistic. That's blunt, but the offensive training wheels are off. This is a big time offensive scheme, not the vagabonds we've been forced to use for so very long.

It's an RPO offense, those screens are there as an extension of the run game. Attaching something like a TE screen on the backside of an inside zone is how you "block" a backside DE in this offense. They exist for a specific purpose.

Why do some people have a sense that Honas underperformed compared to the lofty expectation? Because he was forced into coverage a lot. Slot/TE/RB...he had to account for a lot of routes. If he was playing against Riley's offense that put 27 people in the box for who knows what reason, he can fire off the ball all day...which when given the chance he did pretty well. Remember this when Iowa and Wisconsin come around. The gravy train has left the station for opposing linebackers.

There are a lot of details to fix, but everyone that wants to say something about this offense owes it to themselves to buy a remote with a pause and rewind button. Really go slow and see why a portion of a play exists and look to see what problem it solved. 

• Plus1 4

I think possibly the D looks worse than it is because they split the 1’s and 2’s up on D and on O, there appears to be more of the top units players on the field. I am anxious to see how S&C shows up against other teams we play, as horrible as it has been the last few years. In every interview every player just smiles and raves about how much faster they move and how much stronger they are. It’s going to be fun to go along for the ride. 

Anybody expecting the defense to be lighting the world on fire is likely going to be disappointed. It just seems highly unlikely when you have this type offensive system on the other side of the ball. Offensively there are going to a lot of quick scoring drives, and a lot of quick 3 and outs (hopefully more of the former). So this defense will give up points, probably throughout Frost's tenure here. Where this defense will/can make a difference is by causing turnovers.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think where this defense will thrive is when NU has a lead and the other team starts to press a bit...that usually results in more mistakes and turnovers and that 17 point lead quickly turns into something insurmountable.  

I tend to agree with this.  I think we are going to try to outscore opponents and will be a defense wanting to create turnovers because that gives our offense another drive to put up points and have more points than the opponent at the end of the game.  Could be some shootouts.  I have to admit...Bookie would have been a starting CB in this defense...that did cross my mind.  Wonder how much time he gets early at OU.  I do think this defense over time will attract some athletes we haven't had on defense in awhile.  

9 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I tend to agree with this.  I think we are going to try to outscore opponents and will be a defense wanting to create turnovers because that gives our offense another drive to put up points and have more points than the opponent at the end of the game.  Could be some shootouts.  I have to admit...Bookie would have been a starting CB in this defense...that did cross my mind.  Wonder how much time he gets early at OU.  I do think this defense over time will attract some athletes we haven't had on defense in awhile.  

Would be surprised if he didn't get quite a bit of PT. Secondary isn't the Sooners strongest group and reports out of Norman say he has been impressive

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Anyone else concerned about Gebbia's weight? He looks to be about 180 lbs. soaking wet. I just don't know how many big hits he's going to be able to take.

Honestly, I have never understood the correlation between how much a QB weighs and his "ability to take a big hit(s)".  A "big hit" can knock out, and even end, anyone's day--or career for that matter.  Weight does not equal toughness.