*** Official 2018 Spring Game Thread ***

8 hours ago, brophog said:

The goal, ultimately, is not about how many points you give up....it's about outscoring the opponent. 

It's fascinating how different sports view analytics. Basketball, another "ball and net", alternate possession sport, figured out years ago that possession based statistics were more insightful than counting stats. In football, it's drives we are concerned about, yet we don't readily track those stats. At best, the box score may track per play stats, but that's a bit misleading if what we are really after is per drive stats.

UCF's defense last year is not impressive from a counting stat viewpoint, but it was very effective from a drive based efficiency viewpoint. Turnovers certainly played a big part in that, and I'm always suspicious of teams that rely too much on the bounce of the ball. What they teach, though, translates to any defense you'd want to play....play with leverage, play fast and aggressive, and bring a lot of people to the ball.

We saw a glimpse of that in the spring game, enough of which to expect a massive improvement from where we were at.

So much this.  The only counting stat I really pay attention to anymore is some type of net yards per pay/adjusted yards per play.  Surprise surprise, UCF was near the top of the heap last year.

https://thepowerrank.com/2017/10/18/3-surprising-college-football-teams-adjusted-yards-per-play/

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Toe said:

@RedDenver True, but I think it's telling that they didn't really even give Gebbia any runs.

the green jersey probably played a part in that. probably would see a few more in an actual game situation. saw a couple plays where AM probably would have had a sizable gain had he not been touched by an outstretched arm.

and last but not least, the normal play caller for the offense wasnt calling plays.

• Plus1 1
On 4/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, cheekygeek said:

Watching the game over again, a couple of thoughts...

Impressed with the three QBs new to the Frost system after so few practices.

Vedrel’s INT should have been called a sack, but was still a bad decision.

Impressed with Ozigbo’ hands catching & running after the catch today.

Was glad to see Freedom making 3 tackles on three consecutive plays. He was wasted in Diaco’s scheme.

Bunch should be given a scholarship.

If I was the opposing DC, Martinez would be the QB giving me nightmares the week of the game against NU.

Concerned with depth at O-Line & our defensive backfield has me stocking up on Rolaids.

Frost said this was “vanilla” today, but what I saw looked a lot more like “Rocky Road” for Cornhusker opponents!

#GBR

We are still 2 schoolies over. 

Rewatched the game.

1)  The "run the damn ball" guy is still going to be vocal at times.  (which makes me chuckle)

2)  I was even more impressed with Farniok.  He gets out and makes things happen on the edge.

3)  This offense is going to be much better when the RBs gain confidence in the system and hit the holes fast.  We know that is what they will be coached to do.  But, right now they are just hesitant to go fast.