Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, theknife said:

We saw a dialed down playbook and mismatched units yesterday, so let's not make too much out of it. That said, Martinez certainly feels like he gives the offense a dimension the other players can't.

This was ultimately my takeaway, too. Martinez provided a level of fluidity we didn't see from the other players. I believe he also had the best touchdown efficiency compared to the other QB's.

I think the QB that can truly grasp this offense when it’s not watered down will be the one to start, I think that will be Gebbia. He did have a few bad throws but he looks like the most natural passer, as well as he looked better running then I expected. BUT he will have to be on his A game or Martinez will pass him and never look back. In all honesty it’s great to have this depth and true competition for a position. Guys now they have to come to work everyday or get left behind

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This was ultimately my takeaway, too. Martinez provided a level of fluidity we didn't see from the other players. I believe he also had the best touchdown efficiency compared to the other QB's.

That is why I think Martinez will be the eventual starter by the end of the year.  Martinez was recruited to fit this style of play and the offense.  That will give him the leg up in the long run.  Nothing against Gebbia and Bunch, because I think they would be serviceable QB's in this offense, but Martinez has the complete package that Frost is looking for in a QB.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I think the QB that can truly grasp this offense when it’s not watered down will be the one to start, I think that will be Gebbia. He did have a few bad throws but he looks like the most natural passer, as well as he looked better running then I expected. BUT he will have to be on his A game or Martinez will pass him and never look back. In all honesty it’s great to have this depth and true competition for a position. Guys now they have to come to work everyday or get left behind

Competition and depth at all/most positions is the biggest thing I hope Frost brings back to the team.  Whether it was poor recruiting and roster management or simply bad luck, the head coaches after Osborne has really let the depth and competition within the roster decline.

Matt Vrzal on Big Red Overreaction after the Spring game said that they were feeling pretty good about the running back spot when they had Damon Benning and Clinton Childs.  Then when Lawrence Phillips arrived in '93 and Ahman Green arrived in '95, they were different guys talent-wise and true difference makers.  All four of those I-backs were good enough to start for a vast majority of college teams in 1995, but they were all fighting for snaps at I-back.  Through LP's issues and injuries, all four of those guys ended up starting at one point in the season and all made big contributions to a National Championship team.  I know the QB spot is a different position than others on the team, it's still good to see depth and competition at the position.  Hopefully, Frost can get the QB room to the 4-5 deep that he strives for.

• Plus1 1

I think Gebbia starts, but will see Martinez play a lot as the season wears on. Lot of hits coming on these qb's in this offense. It looks like we have 3 maybe 4 that can run this offense, from what I watched  Saturday. Hopefully we won't need to go that deep, unless it's in a blowout win.

GBR!!!

Before yesterday, i thought Gebbia - attributing to his attention to detail and work ethic we've heard so much about.  Now, i'm not so sure.  Obvious to anyone with eyes that Martinez excelled yesterday, but it was the spring game after all - the time when it's "obvious" that the back up was better and why didn't THEY start when the season began.  

Based on one spring game, I think I'm going to start with AM - not because he had gaudy stats, but because he made what he did seem rather effortless, whereas the others seemed to have to put a lot of effort either chucking it, or tucking it.

I liked Martinez.  But I'm biased towards a "traditional" NU style QB........He put his foot down and goes.  The caveat being that every spring game guys excel only to never be seen or heard from again.  It was the first time Ive seen any of the guys plays.  I'll let the summer conditioning and fall camp kick in to see who gets named.  

Ultimately, unsure how much separation there is between the QB's....They all had showed some ability to succeed in this offense.  Just great to finally see guys who fit a system.  Based on one spring game, it at least looks like that whom ever is the back up will be more than serviceable.  

Note-In the initial poll I voted Gebbia.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Competition and depth at all/most positions is the biggest thing I hope Frost brings back to the team.  Whether it was poor recruiting and roster management or simply bad luck, the head coaches after Osborne has really let the depth and competition within the roster decline.

Matt Vrzal on Big Red Overreaction after the Spring game said that they were feeling pretty good about the running back spot when they had Damon Benning and Clinton Childs.  Then when Lawrence Phillips arrived in '93 and Ahman Green arrived in '95, they were different guys talent-wise and true difference makers.  All four of those I-backs were good enough to start for a vast majority of college teams in 1995, but they were all fighting for snaps at I-back.  Through LP's issues and injuries, all four of those guys ended up starting at one point in the season and all made big contributions to a National Championship team.  I know the QB spot is a different position than others on the team, it's still good to see depth and competition at the position.  Hopefully, Frost can get the QB room to the 4-5 deep that he strives for.

I think we have been bit by lack of QB depth multiple times the past 15 years.  Like you mentioned about at RB, Tommie, Brook and Matt back in the day as well.  If Cally, Bo and Riley taught us anything, it's you need a back up QB that can win......Watching the game posted on Huskerboard, it appears that we have some good guys at QB. Especially as they've only been running it for about 3 weeks....

I'd sure hate to lose the freshman Martinez to a blown knee.  He is the future for sure but would be nice if we could bring him along a while.  A man is much stronger at 22, 23 than at 19.  So if he gets a bad injury, or is forced to play instead of heal, he never reaches his full potential.

I don't get the fear of Martinez getting injured or making him redshirt just so that he's better as a 5th year senior.  I am of the opinion that you play the best guys regardless of having a redshirt available.  If Frost is doing his job, he will have another QB ready to take over the starting job after Martinez graduates.

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the fear of Martinez getting injured or making him redshirt just so that he's better as a 5th year senior.  I am of the opinion that you play the best guys regardless of having a redshirt available.  If Frost is doing his job, he will have another QB ready to take over the starting job after Martinez graduates.

Part of my desire to let Martinez redshirt is amplified by his coming off a shoulder injury. There is no immediate need for him at QB, why not let him redshirt?

Edited by Branno
Weird autocorrect
Just now, Branno said:

Part of my desire to let Martinez redshirt is amplified by his coming off a shoulder injury. There is no immediate need for him at QB, why not let him redshirt?

So then he sits out 2 years of playing football due to his shoulder injury?  My thoughts of playing him right away is to get him comfortable as a starter so the team is ready to go full bore in 2019.  2018 could still be a struggle out there, but Martinez could be getting some valuable reps as the starting QB without having to worry a ton about the win-loss record.  Frost and the staff are focusing on Year 2 as the year to make the leap, so it would make sense to have Martinez comfortable being the starting QB going into Year 2.  Look how well it worked for Mackenzie Milton at UCF.  If he doesn't get the starting job midway through 2016, I doubt he is as effective in 2017 for UCF.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

If he doesn't get the starting job midway through 2016, I doubt he is as effective in 2017 for UCF.

I respectfully disagree with this opinion and feel the risks outweigh the rewards in a season most have written off.