Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Lol, so this line of thinking says Martinez will be the only good QB Frost will land, so we should save him so that we have him when our team has a chance, because after that there will be no chance for Frosty to even have a mediocre QB....

How about Martinez starts now and we land a good QB in every class to compete with him and then the best man takes over when ever he graduates or they pass AM on the depth chart?

lol you're the expert lol

Just get more Tommie Fraziers lol, every year lol, just get a new one, good call im dumb

49 minutes ago, Sparker said:

lol you're the expert lol

Just get more Tommie Fraziers lol, every year lol, just get a new one, good call im dumb

That’s the point though isn’t it? If we had Tommie Frazier right now, and we knew he was Tommie Frazier, would you say redshirt him right now or play him?

13 minutes ago, Sparker said:

No, the point is we don't, and we won't. Talent like that is rare.

But you nor I know that. I know we should play the best available player and continue to recruit the position trying to find someone better. You know we should maybe redshirt our best QB so that he can play in 2022, even though it could possibly be in the NFL instead of Nebraska.

The season is still several months away and Martinez is at 90%, as things stand he should be fine for the season physically. If he's the best guy you play him this season. Get the learning year out of the way now and he's ready to get us to the CCG in 2019. Frost has already proven he can recruit to this O and the  sooner we're winning the easier recruiting becomes for the team as a whole. We can't play scared with Martinez in hopes of it paying-off several years from now,  winning more in '18 and '19 will also help us several years from now. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Danimal said:

The season is still several months away and Martinez is at 90%, as things stand he should be fine for the season physically. If he's the best guy you play him this season. Get the learning year out of the way now and he's ready to get us to the CCG in 2019. Frost has already proven he can recruit to this O and the  sooner we're winning the easier recruiting becomes for the team as a whole. We can't play scared with Martinez in hopes of it paying-off several years from now,  winning more in '18 and '19 will also help us several years from now. 

I agree with you 100%. Why do people want to try and plan things 4-5 years from

now when there is a season 4-5 months from now. While there isn’t huge pressure for Frost to win big year 1, he’s going to want the team trending in a positive direction, and that is done by starting the best QB, even if it means burning Martinez’s redshirt in game 5 or 6. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

But you nor I know that. I know we should play the best available player and continue to recruit the position trying to find someone better. You know we should maybe redshirt our best QB so that he can play in 2022, even though it could possibly be in the NFL instead of Nebraska.

I don't claim to know anything, I am speculating. You come around and spout your opinion like it is fact non stop. If you read what I wrote I very clearly weighed some of the pros and cons to both approaches.... BECAUSE THERE ARE PROS AND CONS TO BOTH APPROACHES.

11 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I think I'm going to start with AM - not because he had gaudy stats, but because he made what he did seem rather effortless, whereas the others seemed to have to put a lot of effort either chucking it, or tucking it.

This was a popular sentiment during the Keller/Ganz battle in the '07 spring game - a lot of people saying things along the lines of, "Definitely closer than I expected, and Joe looked really good, but it looked like he was working way harder where Keller just looked smooth and at ease."

No point, just an interesting side note.

8 hours ago, Branno said:

It’s clear you either don’t care or aren’t listening to what I say so let’s leave it at that. 

I think it's more clear that your logic just doesn't make much sense imo.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

I believe that SF showed about 1/3 of his offense and didn't want to go fast - because the speed of this offense will be equally as important as the variety of plays. 

They only ran ran a few plays. This is nothing. 

But it isn't it exciting that we are back to an offense that can take just a few plays and make them look like a lot more. 

I think it should be Martinez.  I don't agree with the idea of starting Gebbia at first and then throwing Martinez into the fire once we get started on our B1G schedule.  Let Martinez start from day 1 and play a few 'easier' teams first to get his feet wet.

Give me the guy that continues what they've done in Spring by working hard in the offseason, studying the playbook, organizing throwing sessions with receivers, ultimately gives us the best chance to win Sept. 1st. Sadly, none of us know who that is based on one practice with green jerseys. 

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, Branno said:

Let him get another year to learn the system, heal, grow, and still have 4 years to start. Gebbia will be a pretty damned good QB in this system and Bunch looks surprisingly good.

There is no immediate need to start Martinez. 

There may not be need to start him, but there may be need to play him and I think there a couple of issues with your line of reasoning.

First, I think AM has a very good chance to be the starter if not the #2 guy come fall. If that happens then they will not redshirt him because they only have three eligible QB's (assuming Vedral stays ineligible). Frost does not strike me as the kind of coach who will bench an obviously good player just to protect the number of years he may have a starter. That leads me to my second point which is you really can't bank on a redshirt senior quarterback very often these days. It's 2018. 2023 is a long time away.

If AM proves he's #1 or #2 and he's healthy enough to play then he should play. I'm inclined to believe that's Frost's line of thinking, as well.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

There may not be need to start him, but there may be need to play him and I think there a couple of issues with your line of reasoning.

First, I think AM has a very good chance to be the starter if not the #2 guy come fall. If that happens then they will not redshirt him because they only have three eligible QB's (assuming Vedral stays ineligible). Frost does not strike me as the kind of coach who will bench an obviously good player just to protect the number of years he may have a starter. That leads me to my second point which is you really can't bank on a redshirt senior quarterback very often these days. It's 2018. 2023 is a long time away.

If AM proves he's #1 or #2 and he's healthy enough to play then he should play. I'm inclined to believe that's Frost's line of thinking, as well.

Frost's track record at UCF lines up with this as well; both Milton and Vedral played as true freshmen.