Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

It's hard to say because the defenders are not bearing down on them as fast as they would be if they were trying to tackle them.  I would say they are probably just going at about 75% speed to try and make the touch.

I can see that on the plays where they got sacks and he had nowhere to go.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:44 PM, Atbone95 said:

Depends on the offense Frost wants to run and the value-adds he is looking for in his offense. 

If Frost is happy with his skill players and wants a QB who is more reliable in getting them the ball in space, I think Gebbia starts.

If Frost is not, or just prefers a QB with a (minimally) lesser arm that can create muchhh more for himself on the ground, then it is Martinez's. 

I don't think it is clear cut, just a preference on what Scott wants. 

I agree 100% with this.

By the accounts from people who have seen some practice, TG is the best passer we have.  He seemed fine with the limited running we saw in the spring game, he can get 5-10 yards if the hole is there, but isn’t going to make anyone miss.

But AM has that elusiveness running the ball, where he can make guys miss and pick up chunks of yards on the ground.  The question is can he be an good enough passing to complement his legs?

One other factor is Gebbia transferring.  If Frost makes the call for AM 2-3 weeks into camp (before school starts), I could see Gebbia leaving (because that’s what QBs do nowadays).  And w/o Gebbia on the roster, the QB situation this coming fall gets pretty dicey with any injuries.

21 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Martinez is the future,  but due to the green jersey there was lack of rush put the qb.  Thus runs look better.  This is going to be about his health & ability to run the offense. I like both qb,  but i  question Gebbia's durability.  And Bunch is just good backup. 

He wasn't close to getting touched on the TD runs. The thing that remains to be seen due to the green jersey is whether he can scramble.

I want to make a quick note here. I’m not sure who is the best guy, I trust Frosty to make that call. I love Gebbia and have been excited about him forever, but also can admit Martinez made me much more excited on saturday.

My point is that if AM is better, than he should play and not be redshirted. It will all work out fellas. In Frost We Trust.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

People are mentioning the green jerseys and I understand how that can be an advantage for the QBs, but on the other hand... there were times I felt like Martinez could have gotten away from them if it were tackle football but he had to stop becauae they touched him. And on those runs where no one touched him it was more impressive because they couldn't get a finger on him let alone get close enough to try to tackle him.

But the same logic applies to the other QB's. Can't glean much about running in touch football.

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He wasn't close to getting touched on the TD runs. The thing that remains to be seen due to the green jersey is whether he can scramble.

I know AM looked good running the ball, but this isn't true. The defender pulled up a few inches shy of touching him on the first run, and he got touched by the defender before reaching the endzone on the second but the refs gave him the TD.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, ScottyIce said:

But you nor I know that. I know we should play the best available player and continue to recruit the position trying to find someone better. You know we should maybe redshirt our best QB so that he can play in 2022, even though it could possibly be in the NFL instead of Nebraska.

So your plan is to throw your potential star QB to the wolves, playing behind a developing (some would say under-developed) offensive line, enduring the nation's second toughest strength of schedule, in the meat grinder B1G?  

Sounds like a great plan if you are an orthopedic surgeon.

I say work the kid in, while starting Gebbia.  Give him a chance to learn and grow without breaking him down. 

We gotta be smart about this stuff.  Let young kids work in, let hurt kids heal.   

Then in 2019 it will be unfair to hold him back, the kid will be that good.

And don't sleep on Bunch either.

I thought there were two occasions where Gebbia could have another couple of TD's if it were live. Not taking anything away from Adrian but I thought Gebbia matched him for TD's and had a couple called back throughout the game including the opening play.

I still think Adrian wins it. As good as Gebbia could be for us AM has shades of RGIII when he tucks it/guns it. Tristan has loads of talent as well.

I really like the idea of getting the ball in the hands of our most dynamic play makers as much as possible. I think Martinez, and Bell plus a great bunch of receivers gives us the best chance of lighting up the scoreboard and bringing some swag back to the offense. Gebbia a close 2nd i just hope he doesn't transfer if he doesn't start. Puts us in a thin spot at QB if he does.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

But the same logic applies to the other QB's. Can't glean much about running in touch football.

Barry Sanders used to say about flag football....if they can't grab a flag, they can't tackle you.

Yes, the defenders pulled up on plays. Don't want to draw the ire of the coach. But, we still saw what both QBs could bring to the running game. Gebbia has enough scoot to get yards, but he's going from point A to point B. Doesn't have that playmaker wiggle to him that Martinez brings. We all know that playmaker wiggle gets QBs in trouble, though. There can be a strong tendency to run a bit too much. Whether it was by design or not, Martinez not only had more carries than Gebbia, he had more carries than Frost QBs tend to have.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

So your plan is to throw your potential star QB to the wolves, playing behind a developing (some would say under-developed) offensive line, enduring the nation's second toughest strength of schedule, in the meat grinder B1G?  

I don't see the problem if he wins the job. Other college programs have recently found success starting and playing true freshman. Georgia went to a national title with one last year. Granted, that's an anomaly, but it's not unheard of to see a true freshman QB experience success.

Really, all we can do is trust Frost's/Verduzco's judgement. If they believe AM is mentally and physically capable then there is no honest reason to hold him back. I don't think this staff is going to use the schedule as an excuse.

• Plus1 3
19 hours ago, Red Five said:

One other factor is Gebbia transferring.  If Frost makes the call for AM 2-3 weeks into camp (before school starts), I could see Gebbia leaving (because that’s what QBs do nowadays).  And w/o Gebbia on the roster, the QB situation this coming fall gets pretty dicey with any injuries.

I agree with everything you just stated.  I would also find it very difficult to fault Gebbia if he decides to transfer.  We're running a completely different offense than what Gebbia signed on for when he chose Nebraska.  Considering he was ranked in the top 10 by most recruiting services as a pro-style QB, I'm still a little surprised he's still here.  If he isn't announced as the starter, does anyone really think he'll be satisfied riding the pine the next three or so years?

16 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I agree with everything you just stated.  I would also find it very difficult to fault Gebbia if he decides to transfer.  We're running a completely different offense than what Gebbia signed on for when he chose Nebraska.  Considering he was ranked in the top 10 by most recruiting services as a pro-style QB, I'm still a little surprised he's still here.  If he isn't announced as the starter, does anyone really think he'll be satisfied riding the pine the next three or so years?

Based on Gebbia starting the spring game, I'd assume he's #1 on the depth chart, so why would he transfer before he's even been beat out for the top spot?