Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Based on Gebbia starting the spring game, I'd assume he's #1 on the depth chart, so why would he transfer before he's even been beat out for the top spot?

Obviously, he didn't.  However, I'm still surprised he chose to stay after Riley was fired.  If he isn't announced the starter, I will be even more surprised if he stays. 

20 hours ago, Red Five said:

One other factor is Gebbia transferring.  If Frost makes the call for AM 2-3 weeks into camp (before school starts), I could see Gebbia leaving (because that’s what QBs do nowadays).  And w/o Gebbia on the roster, the QB situation this coming fall gets pretty dicey with any injuries.

Do QBs who fail to get jobs regularly transfer during fall camp? I'm trying to think of recent examples and drawing a blank, but I've never paid close attention to that stuff.

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Do QBs who fail to get jobs regularly transfer during fall camp? I'm trying to think of recent examples and drawing a blank, but I've never paid close attention to that stuff.

A&M had a bunch of QB's transfer in recent years.  In 2016, the Alabama starting QB in week 1 immediately transferred to a JUCO after he was benched for Jaylin (sp?) Hurts.  It will be interesting to see if any of the young Michigan QB's (one of them a McCaffrey) transfer this fall if the transfer from Ole Miss wins the job and is immediately eligible.

The best thing about the Scott Frost hire is that he's a former Husker, a former QB, a veteran of both Tom Osborne's power option, and Oregon's "speed kills" multiple offense, who had a chance to prove himself at UCF, where he took all that experience and turned it into an undefeated team. 

The dude knows the expectation level at Nebraska better than anyone.

So the starter should probably be whoever he picks. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The best thing about the Scott Frost hire is that he's a former Husker, a former QB, a veteran of both Tom Osborne's power option, and Oregon's "speed kills" multiple offense, who had a chance to prove himself at UCF, where he took all that experience and turned it into an undefeated team. 

The dude knows the expectation level at Nebraska better than anyone.

So the starter should probably be whoever he picks. 

I think it should be whoever Huskerboard votes for each week because we all know everything, just ask us.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think it should be whoever Huskerboard votes for each week because we all know everything, just ask us.

Each week? We should have control of the QB for each drive! I'd advocate for each play, but we're running an up-tempo offense so that wouldn't work.

• Plus1 1

I don't think Gebbia transfer if he isn't the starter come week 1. He is an injury away from playing, and AM has a history of a shoulder injury, so it'd be foolish if he did. Also I could see Gebbia starting and then eventually getting beat out by AM. If that is the case, I could see Gebbia sticking around, and eventually getting drafted due to his potential and this offense "not fitting his pocket passing style". 

9 hours ago, Enhance said:

I don't see the problem if he wins the job. Other college programs have recently found success starting and playing true freshman. Georgia went to a national title with one last year. Granted, that's an anomaly, but it's not unheard of to see a true freshman QB experience success.

Georgia and Alabama played a freshman in the title game. Combine that with the recent Heisman successes by freshman QBs and we are starting to see a pattern. 

Far fewer redshirts these days at all positions because the weight training and schemes at the high school level are more advanced. Every position, whether it be a mentally demanding position like QB or a physically demanding position like a lineman, has seen an increase in freshman starters.

• Plus1 1

I guess I’m the exception here.  Yes, Martinez has speed and the tools to become great.  But I didn’t think he was close to being the starting QB.  Gebbia for me was the starter, and Bunch leap froged Martinez, in my opinion.  It’s not that Martinez is a bad player, or anything negative.  It’s just that it seemed to me that he had the weakest command of the offense. The others made the rest of the offense the star, and when he was on the field, he was the star.  Yes, he has the most potential.  But right now, given my perception of his command of the offense, he is not going to be the starter.  However, given he has time and the desire, he could be moved up if he continues to grow into the offense.  

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

I guess I’m the exception here.  Yes, Martinez has speed and the tools to become great.  But I didn’t think he was close to being the starting QB.  Gebbia for me was the starter, and Bunch leap froged Martinez, in my opinion.  It’s not that Martinez is a bad player, or anything negative.  It’s just that it seemed to me that he had the weakest command of the offense. The others made the rest of the offense the star, and when he was on the field, he was the star.  Yes, he has the most potential.  But right now, given my perception of his command of the offense, he is not going to be the starter.  However, given he has time and the desire, he could be moved up if he continues to grow into the offense.  

I won't necessarily begrudge your opinion, however, AM was the best runner and had the best command of the zone read. He also accounted for 28 points (3 runs, 1 pass) which is twice as many points as Gebbia and 21 points better than Bunch. It seems just a bit odd to value offensive command and yet somewhat ignore that AM drives were the most efficient. I'm not saying you're wholly wrong by any means, but I don't think that opinion really weighs everything.

I still think Gebbia is your game one starter as of right now but I didn't see anything from the spring game that would make me think Bunch is ahead of AM in the pecking order.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Enhance said:

I don't see the problem if he wins the job. Other college programs have recently found success starting and playing true freshman. Georgia went to a national title with one last year. Granted, that's an anomaly, but it's not unheard of to see a true freshman QB experience success.

Really, all we can do is trust Frost's/Verduzco's judgement. If they believe AM is mentally and physically capable then there is no honest reason to hold him back. I don't think this staff is going to use the schedule as an excuse.

Fair

14 hours ago, Enhance said:

I won't necessarily begrudge your opinion, however, AM was the best runner and had the best command of the zone read. He also accounted for 28 points (3 runs, 1 pass) which is twice as many points as Gebbia and 21 points better than Bunch. It seems just a bit odd to value offensive command and yet somewhat ignore that AM drives were the most efficient. I'm not saying you're wholly wrong by any means, but I don't think that opinion really weighs everything.

I still think Gebbia is your game one starter as of right now but I didn't see anything from the spring game that would make me think Bunch is ahead of AM in the pecking order.

I don't know if I agree with the bolded as I thought they both looked fairly decent usually making quick and correct decisions.  I think people are overreacting to a couple of nifty runs against what was made up of an amalgamation of 2nd through 4th+ string players from a team that went 4-8 last year and they couldn't contact the QB.  There were numerous plays that demonstrated that Gebbia had command of the zone read also.  For example, I can remember a couple of TE screens where the OLB/DE was crashing hard and he made quick reads (RB first option, QB run second option, and then TE pass third option) to get the ball out quick to the TE, a zone run play where he kept the ball in Bell's belly to the last second sucking the defense in before finally letting go and letting Bell take it for a 13 yard run and Gebbia also had a good keep for 7 yards on zone read near the goal line that they called down at the 3 that he may or may not have got in for the TD if it was live.  But, then again all of those plays were against the same defense that couldn't contact the QB, so what does any of this tell us?  Pretty much nothing.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Agreed.  Pointed this out earlier and stated that Bunch went against the starters on D and that his performance was much more eye opening.

While more of the starters may have been on the Red team, Chinander said there were defense was more balanced among the red & white teams than the offense (which top units were predominantly on the red team).

3 hours ago, yort2000 said:

I don't know if I agree with the bolded as I thought they both looked fairly decent usually making quick and correct decisions.  I think people are overreacting to a couple of nifty runs against what was made up of an amalgamation of 2nd through 4th+ string players from a team that went 4-8 last year and they couldn't contact the QB.  There were numerous plays that demonstrated that Gebbia had command of the zone read also.  For example, I can remember a couple of TE screens where the OLB/DE was crashing hard and he made quick reads (RB first option, QB run second option, and then TE pass third option) to get the ball out quick to the TE, a zone run play where he kept the ball in Bell's belly to the last second sucking the defense in before finally letting go and letting Bell take it for a 13 yard run and Gebbia also had a good keep for 7 yards on zone read near the goal line that they called down at the 3 that he may or may not have got in for the TD if it was live.  But, then again all of those plays were against the same defense that couldn't contact the QB, so what does any of this tell us?  Pretty much nothing.

In my defense, I only said AM looked the best doing it and not that the other QBs looked bad at it. I just think it's pretty clear AM was the most comfortable running. And yes, while AM was doing this against a defense lacking full starter power, Gebbia played against the same group. We can't use that to AM's detriment and ignore it for Gebbia.

Ultimately, your last point reigns true, but the spring game is built around overreaction and over-analysis. :D

Personally, though, this is why I'm still leaning Gebbia as the week one starter. I'm sort of tired of having a QB in this program who is reliable (if not explosive) in the run game and not up to par in the passing game. Based on everything I've heard and seen so far this year, Gebbia's arm and accuracy is still ahead of AM and TG looked like he could make a QB run game work. His size is still a concern among the coaches, though. DB said yesterday that Frost told him it's something they need to TG to work on.