Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, brophog said:

Most important, yes, but not more important than the rest of the team combined. Yet, every time any team in football has a potential QB battle no other position even matters. The defensive tackle may not be the quarterback, but try playing without one. Too many key position battles to focus so much on just one. Who is the field goal kicker, we look shaky as hell there. The snaps and holds are a little shaky, too. This stuff wins football games. They deserve to be scrutinized by no lifers on the internet just like the glamour positions.

I believe if named starter, any of the three eligible QBs could run this offense at a high level. Do you have reason to think otherwise?

I'm feeling very good about things but there are plenty of reasons to doubt our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string QB can all play at a high level against opposing teams. We have only seen the QBs face a defense that was horrible last season and they weren't even facing all of the best defensive players from that horrible defense. They all looked capable but how good were the players they were playing against? I think we'll be improved on both offense and defense because I believe in this staff's ability to coach players and games, but I don't think we know much about the QBs yet. Especially not enough to say all 3 of them would do well.

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm feeling very good about things but there are plenty of reasons to doubt our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string QB can all play at a high level against opposing teams. We have only seen the QBs face a defense that was horrible last season and they weren't even facing all of the best defensive players from that horrible defense. They all looked capable but how good were the players they were playing against? I think we'll be improved on both offense and defense because I believe in this staff's ability to coach players and games, but I don't think we know much about the QBs yet. Especially not enough to say all 3 of them would do well.

I can respect that.

But here is how I view it. I don't put a lot of value on strength of opposition because I'm mostly looking at technique and decision making independent of the opposition. (Verduzco's analysis did the same)

Let's take Gebbia, for example. Very accurate in throwing the ball on his completions, but had a few that were very far off. Do I question his ability to throw in a tight window? No.

Why? The Mike Williams TD is a good example. Just a little flat route that Gebbia throws outside and in front of Williams. On that particular play the design and a really well run route helped eliminate the defender, so he was wide open, but the throw was on target to give his guy a chance to make the play while shielding a would be trailing defender. It doesn't matter that the defender was beat, that was the correct location for that ball and it was well placed with proper timing.

Take Martinez's throw to McQuitty as another example. Really good job going through his progressions, proper decision, but the throw is erratic. It doesn't matter that the defender is nowhere to be seen or that the result is a TD, that's an erratic throw. Martinez had a tendency, regardless of coverage or pass rush, to throw high. That's a mechanics issue and correctable, but I don't need to see him play against 1st teamers to recognize that.

Most of my questions regarding any of the QBs against a top unit are related to the offensive line, moreso than any separation between the QBs. I'm also, to be fair, projecting a bit based on the excellent work ethic shown and our gifted QB coach. 

• Plus1 3

17 hours ago, brophog said:

Most important, yes, but not more important than the rest of the team combined. Yet, every time any team in football has a potential QB battle no other position even matters. The defensive tackle may not be the quarterback, but try playing without one. Too many key position battles to focus so much on just one. Who is the field goal kicker, we look shaky as hell there. The snaps and holds are a little shaky, too. This stuff wins football games. They deserve to be scrutinized by no lifers on the internet just like the glamour positions.

I believe if named starter, any of the three eligible QBs could run this offense at a high level. Do you have reason to think otherwise?

My only concern is what happened at UCF. The first year the QB didn't look so good. The second year he was spectacular. Did the UCF QB star as a true freshman with no spring? I am in China, and all the search engines are blocked, so I can't look it up.

11 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

My only concern is what happened at UCF. The first year the QB didn't look so good. The second year he was spectacular. Did the UCF QB star as a true freshman with no spring? I am in China, and all the search engines are blocked, so I can't look it up.

I believe in an interview Milton said 2017 was his first spring. Also, he didn't start all of the games in 2016. He became the starter during the season. Not sure if it was because the other(s) sucked or got injured.

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I believe in an interview Milton said 2017 was his first spring. Also, he didn't start all of the games in 2016. He became the starter during the season. Not sure if it was because the other(s) sucked or got injured.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-qbs-spring-game-0417-20160416-story.html

"They will add Hawaiian signee McKenzie Milton this summer."

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Both. 

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

If we are only going to win 6 games like so many predict, what's to be concerned about? I think most would easily trade a mediocre first season for a spectacular second season. Milton is pretty unique, though. I can't ever recall a QB making that big of a jump in the same offense with that kind of volume. I'm not sure you'd see that kind of transformation here.

I also think our QBs are significantly further ahead of anything they had that first spring in no small part because our staff is further ahead. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, brophog said:

If we are only going to win 6 games like so many predict, what's to be concerned about? I think most would easily trade a mediocre first season for a spectacular second season. Milton is pretty unique, though. I can't ever recall a QB making that big of a jump in the same offense with that kind of volume. I'm not sure you'd see that kind of transformation here.

I also think our QBs are significantly further ahead of anything they had that first spring in no small part because our staff is further ahead. 

I am hoping the bolded will speak to all facets of our team and game.  Going undefeated in year 2 is a lot to ask for.  Significant improvement (however subjective) shouldn't be.  The staff knows each other, the system, the vision etc...They also know what it feels like to win. No doubt they wrung every ounce of "want to" from that UCF squad.  Hoping they do here.  On a side note, I expect more attrition as guys realize that winning takes more effort than they are willing to put forth.  

6 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Til:  huskerboard isn’t blocked in China.