Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Anyone can technically run the ball, but to what extent it is effective is a big difference in these two. I'm all for Gebbia proving me wrong and playing well - I just see Martinez as a better player. I know they are in different offenses in HS, but no way Gebbia could have put up the numbers AM did as a JR....1,462 rushing yards (8 ypc) in comparison to 293 rushing yards (3.8 ypc) 

Didn't Gebbia set passing records in California? He had 5338 passing yards and 61 TD's (70% completion rate, 11 ypa) in his SR season in HS. I'm guessing not just anyone could put up those numbers either.

• Plus1 2

This offense looks for a QB that can make smart decisions and get the ball into play makers hands. Running will be important, however there are other ways to move the ball around.  TG passing stats are very solid and he seems to make the throws necessary for this offense.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Didn't Gebbia set passing records in California? He had 5338 passing yards and 61 TD's (70% completion rate, 11 ypa) in his SR season in HS. I'm guessing not just anyone could put up those numbers either.

Yeah he put up some silly numbers throwing the ball. I was always confused why he didn't receive an in-state offer

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Yeah he put up some silly numbers throwing the ball. I was always confused why he didn't receive an in-state offer

I don't know the answer, but a couple of things could be at play including 1) his interest to stay in the state and 2) the kinds of offenses operated at the bigger programs. Sometimes, a recruit will flat out tell some universities they're uninterested in playing there so they won't receive an official offer. It's also possible that someone like Cal or UCLA didn't see Tristan as a fit in their offense, and someone like USC probably had bigger fish to fry than TG.

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know the answer, but a couple of things could be at play including 1) his interest to stay in the state and 2) the kinds of offenses operated at the bigger programs. Sometimes, a recruit will flat out tell some universities they're uninterested in playing there so they won't receive an official offer. It's also possible that someone like Cal or UCLA didn't see Tristan as a fit in their offense, and someone like USC probably had bigger fish to fry than TG.

He also committed pretty early and didn't keep recruiting, so that probably stopped a lot of schools from offering.

• 1 month later...

Gebbia is a gamer.  Never discount a gamer.  

I remember Major Applewhite, and despite being small in stature, and limited mobility, he was a gamer.  

Im not saying that Martinez isn’t a gamer.  I just don’t know enough to say (he looks like it though).  But from what I’ve seen and heard about Gebbia (which is a lot more then Martinez), I’m very glad Gebbia’s here.  He studies the offense and is able to quickly figure out defenses.  That alone makes him quicker in all aspects of the position.  

And don’t discount the passing part of Frost’s offense.  The run is important, but for all those skill players to excel, a qb must be able to read the defense, and put the ball were it needs to be. 

Its a good problem to to have these options.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Dagerow said:

Gebbia is a gamer.  Never discount a gamer.  

I disagree. He tries hard, he studies well, and he has the better release when things go well. He's not a 'gamer'. He doesn't throw the ball well on the move, or when he can't get his feet set. Doesn't turn his hips well. Obviously not a playmaker at running the ball, though I still say he handles that part well enough.

Its never been about one passing the ball better vs running the ball better. Martinez is the more natural player, Gebbia is stiffer but more polished. Either will get the job done.

7 hours ago, brophog said:

I disagree. He tries hard, he studies well, and he has the better release when things go well. He's not a 'gamer'. He doesn't throw the ball well on the move, or when he can't get his feet set. Doesn't turn his hips well. Obviously not a playmaker at running the ball, though I still say he handles that part well enough.

Its never been about one passing the ball better vs running the ball better. Martinez is the more natural player, Gebbia is stiffer but more polished. Either will get the job done.

How much of practice have you watched over the past two years? 

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, brophog said:

Are you basing this off of two spring games or the one this year? One could say Martinez can't hit the deep ball then as we never saw one completed during the game from him. All I know is Martinez is more suited for this offense but Gebbia can run it just a smoothly. The gameplan would be a little different but right now it is neck and neck from what I am hearing. If all things are equal they will go with Martinez, due to him having the more natural fit for this offense. 

I haven't read all 4 pages of responses but I think Gebbia starts the season for 2 reasons; 1- there likely won't be a huge difference between him and Martinez at that point 2- because Frost may want to keep Gebbia happy enough to not bail and hang on to some depth. But I think Martinez will quickly grow into the much better QB for this system, his wheels are already noticably better. I will be shocked if AM is not the clear number 1 by mid to late season. No way Frost red shirts him thinking 4 years down the road (unless he just can't go at 100% for health reasons). We'll have 3 more classes of recruits in contention 4 years down the road and I believe Frost has shown he'll play the best players without much concern for what the future may hold.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I haven't read all 4 pages of responses but I think Gebbia starts the season for 2 reasons; 1- there likely won't be a huge difference between him and Martinez at that point 2- because Frost may want to keep Gebbia happy enough to not bail and hang on to some depth. But I think Martinez will quickly grow into the much better QB for this system, his wheels are already noticably better. I will be shocked if AM is not the clear number 1 by mid to late season. No way Frost red shirts him thinking 4 years down the road (unless he just can't go at 100% for health reasons). We'll have 3 more classes of recruits in contention 4 years down the road and I believe Frost has shown he'll play the best players without much concern for what the future may hold.

I never understood why people say “don’t play a true freshman because they will be needed 4 years later”. If that coach is any good, he will be able to recruit players who can play just as well 4 years from now. 

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

If we go by the spring game, Andrew Bunch is the winner.  He went up against the #1's and had a better command of the offense than anyone else.  Just saying...spring games tell us nothing in the long run.

I wasn't going by the Spring game, I was just asking him if he was. I should have clarified that second point as I don't know if AM can hit the deep ball as I do not watch practice. My bet is AM is the starter because he just has that natural fit in this offense. Gebbia has tons of respect from his teammates and so does AM, so whoever starts we KNOW it is the best player on the team to start at QB. None of this naming the starter after the spring game, make them uncomfortable and earn it every week. By week 6 we may have a different starter for whatever reason and that is just the name of the game because the best players play. 

You always need multiple QBs just like most other positions on the team.   Heck, you need a good back up punter more seasons than not.

I think you should have 3 ready to play and win with.   If you don't, recruit some more or move somebody from another position.   If they don't want to stick around the team unless they are the starter, then let them go and recruit some more.   The game of football is a TEAM game not a bunch of selfish individuals.   The best stars are those that lead by being the best contributor on the team in the position and opportunities presented to them.   

You play the best players to win the game but you also must play the rest because they are the next best players and need to be ready to go as injuries, accidents, academics, etc can change in moments.  Team  game - let the team win or lose as a team.