Which QB Should Be The Starter

Starting QB  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think "should" is the best word to use.  As I watched the game, it just reinforced my opinion that the #1 QB spot is A. Martinez's to lose.  Gebbia played well, but is clearly (in my opinion) the #2.  Bunch and Vedral  are serviceable but will fight it out for 3rd and 4th on the depth chart.

I saw nothing today from the other QBs that gave me the inclination they're going to win the job from Martinez.  I know Frost has said, "Nothing is decided yet (regarding who the #1 is going to be)..."  But look at what we know: 1) Adrian Martinez was Frost's #1 QB prospect and 2) AMart played really well today. 

Edit: And if the starter ends up being Gebbia or Bunch (assumimg Vedral's appeal to play this year is denied by the NCAA) then so be it.  I just want the truly best player to play.

• Plus1 2

Depends on the offense Frost wants to run and the value-adds he is looking for in his offense. 

If Frost is happy with his skill players and wants a QB who is more reliable in getting them the ball in space, I think Gebbia starts.

If Frost is not, or just prefers a QB with a (minimally) lesser arm that can create muchhh more for himself on the ground, then it is Martinez's. 

I don't think it is clear cut, just a preference on what Scott wants. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

If Frost is happy with his skill players and wants a QB who is more reliable in getting them the ball in space, I think Gebbia starts.

If we are going to put a lot of value on the spring game, which we shouldn't but this thread will, then one of the biggest things Gebbia struggled with was getting balls out to open targets in space. Likely one, maybe two TDs lost on inaccurate throws to open receivers. Even on some completed balls, they weren't always the prettiest. 

The thing we didn't see from Martinez was what kind of velocity he has. That's a concern with that shoulder. Hopefully there are no issues.

If this is a two horse race, it'll be a fun one. Martinez is much more natural, but it's hard to outwork Gebbia. We saw a lot of 'want to' from those guys today, and that bodes well regardless.

• Plus1 2

I’m partial to the QB who can make more plays running the ball, so I would go with Martinez. It’s funny that he is already so much bigger than Gebbia.  Martinez looks like a big, fast man out there. I think he is a good enough passer to make the necessary throws in this offense.  It’s not like he was making bad passes out there in the Spring game (other than one overthrow of Allen on the sideline). 

We saw a dialed down playbook and mismatched units yesterday, so let's not make too much out of it. That said, Martinez certainly feels like he gives the offense a dimension the other players can't. The question moving into summer and fall is who keeps developing within this offense. I saw enough from all 3 to think it could be any of them.

I didn't vote because I'm not that skilled at making fine line evaluations on players, especially QBs.  But I will say this, regardless of who wins the starting job, it will be nice to know that if the starter goes down with an injury, the entire fanbase won't go "oh crap, we're screwed"......good to have skilled depth.

• Plus1 5

Gebbia: 12-of-17 for 125 yards and 2 touchdowns
Martinez:10-of-13 for 114 yards and 1 touchdown in the air, 60 yards and 3 touchdowns on the ground
Bunch: 8-of-14 for 89 yards and 1 touchdown
Vedral: 6-of-12 for 53 yards and 0 touchdowns

Martinez had the best spring game, although he did miss a couple of throws.  Gebbia is the best passer, but he did miss a wide open TD throw.  I think Bunch might be more in the mix than what people think.  

Even though this is largely the first time we've seen these guys on the field, I don't think the spring game performance will make much difference to Frost.  I gave my vote above to Bunch because I think it's a tighter race than what we realize and the voting seems to lopsided.  All three, errr, four looked good yesterday.  Now the kicking game, well that's another matter.  lol 

• Plus1 2

Vrzal and Benning commented on Big Red Overreaction that they wouldn't be surprised to see one QB start game 1, and we eventually see a different started for game 5 or 6.  I speculated this when Martinez first signed, but I think he will end up being the starter by the end of the 2018 season.  Gebbia or Bunch may start game 1 because they may give the team the best chance to win those games, while Martinez is still getting used to the college game.  Then after an injury or ineffectiveness by the QB early in the season, they turn to Martinez because he is the best option for long-term success.

I liked what I saw from Gebbia yesterday, but he is still so darn small.  I question whether he can take the punishment of getting hit 8-10 times a game, and not have that impact his passing

• Plus1 1

Being an honest fan we have some spots we just aren't good at right now and this team will struggle some year 1, especially with the brutal road schedule. I think Martinez should start and get those first 3 should be win games under his belt. If he struggles too much we can throw in Gebbia and Bunch. Martinez will be a GREAT player here. I think you let him ride out the season and build up for next year when we take a bigger leap (not undefeated) season. He will be able to move the chains way more with his legs than the other two and and can get the ball out of his hands on the quick plays to our talented WRs. I think just an eye test you can see someone who is a clear cut #1 IMO going forward. He is built for this offense  

• Plus1 1