New Husker Chalk Talk

6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Nice!

I keep hoping RK will put a 'donate' button on his site (in case I'm missing it).  This guy does terrific work.

Yeah, excellent site!  

To donate hit the "About this site" button towards the top of the front page.  It says he prefers donations of no greater than $5.

• Plus1 1

There were a few posts in the Spring game thread about Frost using too many sideline passes and it brought back bad memories of Riley's offense.  The first section in this HCT shows why those quick screens off RPO action are effective and used under Frost's offense.  I am not going to speculate how Riley's offense used the quick sideline passes, but they do serve a purpose in Frost's offense to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of the back side of the defense flowing to the ball on designed run plays.  The one thing we didn't see in the Spring game is the 2nd aspect of the TE or slot screen game, and that is one of the outside WR's faking their block and then releasing deep and getting behind the DB who is running up to stop the screen play.  That's an added complexity to the offense, that they might not have been able to cover in Spring practice.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There were a few posts in the Spring game thread about Frost using too many sideline passes and it brought back bad memories of Riley's offense.  The first section in this HCT shows why those quick screens off RPO action are effective and used under Frost's offense.  I am not going to speculate how Riley's offense used the quick sideline passes, but they do serve a purpose in Frost's offense to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of the back side of the defense flowing to the ball on designed run plays.  The one thing we didn't see in the Spring game is the 2nd aspect of the TE or slot screen game, and that is one of the outside WR's faking their block and then releasing deep and getting behind the DB who is running up to stop the screen play.  That's an added complexity to the offense, that they might not have been able to cover in Spring practice.

I thought we did see something like that but Gebbia underthrew Stoll I think it was. He pumped on the bubble and then underthrew a wide open reciever with a path to the endzone.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep, there might have been one of those plays called.  I watched the Spring game, but not to much detail.

Just went back and looked and it was with 13:30 left in the 2nd and the intended reciever was Austin Allen. They had thrown a bubble to Lindsey going west the play before then they motioned Lindsey east the next play to fake the bubble, Williams ran a post on the outside to clear the CB, then Allen ran a wheel behind him to the open space. If Gebbia was on target it would have been a thing of beauty.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not going to speculate how Riley's offense used the quick sideline passes, but they do serve a purpose in Frost's offense to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of the back side of the defense flowing to the ball on designed run plays.

Someone needs to speculate, because then maybe we can figure out what was going on. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's the trouble with equating one offensive system and its coaches to another. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That's the trouble with equating one offensive system and its coaches to another. 

I agree, and that's why I didn't like it when a few posters made comments of "too many sideways passes during the Spring game".  They are just simplistic statements.  We don't know the full extent of how each offenses utilized the sideways passes and the full concept of the play designs. 

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree, and that's why I didn't like it when a few posters made comments of "too many sideways passes during the Spring game".  They are just simplistic statements.  We don't know the full extent of how each offenses utilized the sideways passes and the full concept of the play designs. 

Exactly. More often than not, a Bubble Screen in Riley's offense was just that, a Bubble. Under Frost, it's an RPO with at least two options in the passing game. 

• Plus1 1