New Husker Chalk Talk

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There were a few posts in the Spring game thread about Frost using too many sideline passes and it brought back bad memories of Riley's offense.  The first section in this HCT shows why those quick screens off RPO action are effective and used under Frost's offense.  I am not going to speculate how Riley's offense used the quick sideline passes, but they do serve a purpose in Frost's offense to keep defenses honest, and to take advantage of the back side of the defense flowing to the ball on designed run plays.  The one thing we didn't see in the Spring game is the 2nd aspect of the TE or slot screen game, and that is one of the outside WR's faking their block and then releasing deep and getting behind the DB who is running up to stop the screen play.  That's an added complexity to the offense, that they might not have been able to cover in Spring practice.

I didn't really like all the passes to the sideline, but that does not mean I don't understand schematically why Frost does what he does.

I just prefer it not be used so much. 

Note I'm not saying it should never be used, just dial it back.  I guess I am too old-fashioned and live in the past: formations of 22, 23, and 32 personnel are what I want to see.  Power football where Nebraska rarely tries to trick opponents, and instead just lines up and smashes them into bloody pulp.

I also said: But this is the new offense we're running so...:snacks:

:snacks:= Should be fun to watch.

And who knows, maybe this type of offensive style will grow on me.

I do however LOVE the tempo of this offense though.  :thumbs

• Plus1 1

The throws to the sideline were not the issue with Riley's/Lang's offense. They were executed poorly and read incorrectly.  I dont know what they were teaching Lee to read on those RPOs but he seemed to get it wrong more often than not. 

Frost has shown that he knows how to get players to execute on those plays and can run them when we have an actual advantage. 

I always said when T-Mart was running our offense and we were trying to run a Zone Read offense, the biggest thing was that it was way to easy to defend because there wasn't a third option ever to keep the defense off balance.  In my mind, I always had the option out of the split back formation in mind.  You have the inside zone, the QB keeper than another RB as a pitch man.  BRILLIANT!!!! and very hard to defend.  If a football idiot like me can see that, why couldn't our OCs?

I am so happy we have this offense now with these coaches.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I always said when T-Mart was running our offense and we were trying to run a Zone Read offense, the biggest thing was that it was way to easy to defend because there wasn't a third option ever to keep the defense off balance.

We also had a midget center, and once teams figured that out, they just blew up the middle of the line. ;)

Kidding aside, those offenses even when they were productive, weren't fully coherent offenses. This offense has a certain flavor, but it's vastly multiple. In all the games UCF played last year, I enjoy the Auburn tape the most. They probably played the poorest in that one, but it's a great chess match tape. Auburn threw all of the usual counters at this offense and every time they thought they'd stop whatever it was UCF was doing well, UCF switched gears. 

• Plus1 1

I like it. Simplicity in the formations and complex in how many ways you can attack the D.  Also seems to use a new concept of setting up plays....  See a lot of TO in those play calls.  Multiple plays from the same formation that can make the D pay from multiple positions dependent on the defenses response....