Federal Jobs Guarantee

14 hours ago, Landlord said:

oh right

just like someone who weighs less than 20 pounds is only considered "small" and not dead

Do you really think MC's definition is far from what people think of as small business?

<20 people is what I think of when someone says small business. That's the size of shops that were on main streets before big box stores. Many have < 10.

I'm fairly sure small business is defined as < 500 in order to mislead, because most people don't think of a place employing even > 50 people as a small business.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I mean, I was just using the established definitions from every source I could find.

Those definitions can be silly though. It doesn't mean a lot that 90whatever% are small businesses if the definition is so ridiculously wide. It's like saying 99% of football games have a margin of victory between 1 and 100. And I don't know whether they use individual locations or the whole corporation - does a Wal-mart location count as a small business or is it the entire company that counts as a big business? Pretty much no one thinks of a small businesses as a place employing > 50 people, and using 500 as a cut-off is ludicrous. I'm also guessing there are many people who employ > 100 who make up the group of people that MC is talking about. I don't necessarily agree with her, I've just had an argument about the small business definition before. I really don't like what is used. They used it a lot when they were trying to tear down the ACA before it had even existed for more than a year, because they know what people think of when they think "small business."

There was one article you mentioned where they talked about micro businesses declining but still making up 3/4 of private sector jobs. The numbers used to define micro businesses are actually what people think of when they think small business.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Those definitions can be silly though. It doesn't mean a lot that 90whatever% are small businesses if the definition is so ridiculously wide. It's like saying 99% of football games have a margin of victory between 1 and 100. And I don't know whether they use individual locations or the whole corporation - does a Wal-mart location count as a small business or is it the entire company that counts as a big business? Pretty much no one thinks of a small businesses as a place employing > 50 people, and using 500 as a cut-off is ludicrous. I'm also guessing there are many people who employ > 100 who make up the group of people that MC is talking about. I don't necessarily agree with her, I've just had an argument about the small business definition before. I really don't like what is used. They used it a lot when they were trying to tear down the ACA before it had even existed for more than a year, because they know what people think of when they think "small business."

There was one article you mentioned where they talked about micro businesses declining but still making up 3/4 of private sector jobs. The number used to define micro businesses are actually what people think of when they think small business.

You articulated my point better than I did...:o

2  articles on the subject.  

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/rolling-stone-millennials_n_4589014.html?1389633919

Guaranteeing a job to every American was by far the most popular of Myerson’s “5 things,” with 47 percent saying they favored guaranteeing a job to every American adult who couldn’t find one in the private sector, and 41 percent saying they were opposed to the idea. People under 30 were about as likely as respondents overall to support guaranteed jobs for all Americans.

Even so, people were divided along socioeconomic lines on whether they would favor this reform. Fifty-nine percent of people with a household income of less than $40,000, but only 36% of those making more than $100,000, said they favored guaranteeing every American a job. Sixty-seven percent of blacks, but only 43 percent of whites, said they agreed.

Sixty-five percent of Democrats said they support guaranteeing a job for everyone, but only 39 percent of independents and 35 percent of Republicans agreed.

http://www.msnbc.com/all/guaranteed-job-everyone

Nearly half of all Americans would be in favor of a universal government job creation program, according to a poll commissioned by the Huffington Post. Out of nearly 1,000 polled respondents, 47% would either somewhat support or strongly support “a law guaranteeing a job to every American adult, with the government providing jobs for people who can’t find employment in the private.”

The Huffington Post commissioned the poll in response to a January 3 Rolling Stone piece called “Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For.” The article, written by freelance journalist Jesse Myerson, suggested that millennials should demand “guaranteed work for everybody,” funded by the federal government.

Unemployment blows,” wrote Myerson. “The easiest and most direct solution is for the government to guarantee that everyone who wants to contribute productively to society is able to earn a decent living in the public sector.”