Verduzco Breaks Down Spring Game

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

If it is indeed an option, which I think it is, then Stoll blocked the wrong man. His effort in blocking the wrong man is superb, though; Dixon ends up on his ass on the opposite end of the play. 

I think you and I are saying similar things

1) If it's an option, Stoll is blocking the wrong guy, and Gebbia should be reading the OLB

2) If it's not an option, Stoll is doing a poor job of blocking the OLB, by allowing him to get inside of him.  Since it's not technically an option, Gebbia shouldn't have been pulling the ball away from the I-back.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Stoll was blocking the right guy, he just did a poor job of making sure the OLB didn't get across his face and inside him.  He didn't make a good block for the called play.

The point Verduzco is saying is that the play was for Gebbia to hand off.  The safety was outside the formation of the offense, so it should have been clear to Gebbia that the safety was going to be one on one with Gebbia, and the play should have been the hand off, based on the pre-snap read (or even the play call by Frost/play caller).  If Stoll had a good block on his guy, there wouldn't have been an OLB to even make a read on, and the I-back would have had a good lane to run up the middle.

Yeah that's what I've been saying, just keeping an open mind for cdog

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

1) If it's an option, Stoll is blocking the wrong guy, and Gebbia should be reading the OLB

2) If it's not an option, Stoll is doing a poor job of blocking the OLB, by allowing him to get inside of him.  Since it's not technically an option, Gebbia shouldn't have been pulling the ball away from the I-back.

Just now, Swiv3D said:

Yeah that's what I've been saying, just keeping an open mind for cdog

I think we're all in agreement about what's going on here, we just keep talking in circles, so to speak. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think we're all in agreement about what's going on here, we just keep talking in circles, so to speak. 

Yep, I joined the thread late, and didn't take a close look at the play until the last few posts.  Yes, we are talking in circles, but is that the right option?  Maybe we should be talking in triangles.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I think he's talking in context of what Gebbia should have read during the play, i.e. handoff vs. keep. 

The evaluation: Gebbia was supposed to hand off but made the decision to keep the ball and run. He made the decision based on what he saw evolving in front of him. However, it could have cost him.

“He should have never pulled this ball, because [the safety] is going to get you,” Verduzco said. “I see what he saw, because [players in front of him] didn’t do [their] job, which is fine. What I tell these guys is to do your job first and if something comes up, great. Because if we pull this thing and we get tackled, the head ball coach is going to say, ‘Mario, what are we doing?’

“What he did do a good job with is that he ran his ass off, so that’s good.”

Pretty much everything in that quote tells me that he wants Gebbia to hand off the ball on that play.  He is saying it worked out this time mainly because he "ran his ass off".  But, next time, hand it off.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pretty much everything in that quote tells me that he wants Gebbia to hand off the ball on that play.  He is saying it worked out this time mainly because he "ran his ass off".  But, next time, hand it off.

That's because it isn't conclusive whether or not it's an option or inside zone. If it's an option, he made the right play, and the player in front of him that didn't do his job was Stoll. 

That's because it isn't conclusive whether or not it's an option or inside zone. If it's an option, he made the right play, and the player in front of him that didn't do his job was Stoll. 

This quote may be an appropriate part to consider.

Verduzco’s verdict: “It’s a hell of a job on [Gebbia’s] part, but what I put on his evaluation? I put, ‘Future would be handoff. We have the E gap. We’re going to get tackled.'”

Not sure why you are actually arguing with the QB coach.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This quote may be an appropriate part to consider.

Not sure why you are actually arguing with the QB coach.

Who is arguing? We're discussing the pros and cons of what the play looks like vs. how it should be ran. You don't need to be a QB coach to be able to know what is happening in zone read vs. inside zone; the way the article sets up the play and the question indicates it's a zone read, but Verduzco's comments indicate it's inside zone. 

Who is arguing? We're discussing the pros and cons of what the play looks like vs. how it should be ran. You don't need to be a QB coach to be able to know what is happening in zone read vs. inside zone; the way the article sets up the play and the question indicates it's a zone read, but Verduzco's comments indicate it's inside zone. 

The QB coach said specifically in the evaluation that Gebbia is supposed to hand off.  I'm not sure how someone can then say Gebbia did the right thing.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I for one, will be stoked when we roll out The Annexation of Puerto Rico next season.

Image result for annexation of puerto rico gif

FUMBLEROOSKI! FUMBLEROOSKI!!!

Personally, though, I'm waiting for us to roll out The Turducken.

John-Madden-Turducken.jpg

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No to number 1.  It is a read of the safety, not the OLB.  They were not optioning any of the front 7 on that play.  The read is that if the safety stays outside of the tackle, hand it off because we have numbers to the inside/right as there is a hat on a hat and an OLineman is releasing to block the middle LB.  If the safety crashes in on the inside run, then the QB pulls it.  Dixon caught Stoll off guard with a quick inside move.  Dixon was playing super aggressive with the snap count and had two offsides penalties because of it.

25 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

No to number 1.  It is a read of the safety, not the OLB.  They were not optioning any of the front 7 on that play.  The read is that if the safety stays outside of the tackle, hand it off because we have numbers to the inside/right as there is a hat on a hat and an OLineman is releasing to block the middle LB.  If the safety crashes in on the inside run, then the QB pulls it.  Dixon caught Stoll off guard with a quick inside move.  Dixon was playing super aggressive with the snap count and had two offsides penalties because of it.

Gebbia is looking directly at Dixon on the play. If it's Zone Read, he's reading Dixon. 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Gebbia is looking directly at Dixon on the play. If it's Zone Read, he's reading Dixon. 

Because Dixon is between him and the safety and is badly beating his man.  That is why Verduzco says "I see what he saw", but Dixon wasn't any part of his read.