Verduzco Breaks Down Spring Game

2 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Because Dixon is between him and the safety and is badly beating his man.  That is why Verduzco says "I see what he saw", but Dixon wasn't any part of his read.

I'm not an X's and O's guy at all, but why would the mesh point of the zone-read option be on the safety who is 5 yards off the LOS?  The zone-read option leaves a guy unblocked at the LOS and lets the unblocked defender take himself out of the play, given the QB makes the correct give/keep read.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm not an X's and O's guy at all, but why would the mesh point of the zone-read option be on the safety who is 5 yards off the LOS?  The zone-read option leaves a guy unblocked at the LOS and lets the unblocked defender take himself out of the play, given the QB makes the correct give/keep read.

You can block or read any defender.  Switching up the read man makes your offense less predictable.  On that play, we have a man to block every player on the screen except that safety.  So, you read him and run the play where he isn't.

6 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

You can block or read any defender.  Switching up the read man makes your offense less predictable.  On that play, we have a man to block every player on the screen except that safety.  So, you read him and run the play where he isn't.

While yes you can block or read any defender, I highly doubt that Frost would have a play installed where Gebbia is reading the safety on the zone read.  That would be a pretty advanced option play for a guy who just started running a lot of zone reads a few weeks ago.  I agree that Gebbia is to identify safety is to make sure the numbers inside the box would work for the inside zone handoff, but I don't think he's reading the safety 8 yards away.  Gebbia reacted to Dixon busting through on Stoll, and kept the ball at the last minute.  He went against the play call, which is what Verduzco is saying.

1 hour ago, yort2000 said:

I'm sorry (not really) but making a safety that far off the ball the read man may be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. The point of the read man is making him choose one or the other in the read option. If he's that far off the ball then he doesn't really have to choose because he can start sliding in on the RB, making the QB keep it, then change his direction back to the QB because he has enough distance that he can afford to (hence why in a real game Gebbia is most likely destroyed on that play for keeping it). Not trying to be a d**k but I really don't get what you could possibly see that makes you think the safety is the read man. 

• Plus1 1

According to what Coach Verduzco said:

1. The actual play was a zone read.

2. The correct read in this instance was to give the ball to the RB.

The QB kept when he should have given the ball to the RB and it gained 8,9 yards because the safety took a bad angle.  Coach Verduzco's point was: if the safety takes the correct angle, and Gebbia makes the same decison to keep the ball, it's a TFL not a positive gain.

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The QB kept when he should have given the ball to the RB and it gained 8,9 yards because the safety took a bad angle.  Coach Verduzco's point was: if the safety takes the correct angle, and Gebbia makes the same decison to keep the ball, it's a TFL not a positive gain.

This makes sense if Yort is right, and the safety is the one being read, which is possible. 

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The safety didn't take a bad angle.  Gebbia was wearing a green jersey.  If that had been an actual game, the play would have gone for 7 or 8 yards and the safety would have knocked Gebbia into the next county.  The safety had him right in his sights at the 40 yd line, and he pulled up and tagged him.  (Was the safety Reid Karel #36?) 

I thought that was the point that Verduzco was making.  That when Gebbia pulls it up and runs, he might make 8 or 10 yards but he's probably gonna take a big hit.  Or at least that's how I interpreted it.    :dunno

7 minutes ago, NUance said:

The safety didn't take a bad angle.  Gebbia was wearing a green jersey.  If that had been an actual game, the play would have gone for 7 or 8 yards and the safety would have knocked Gebbia into the next county.  The safety had him right in his sights at the 40 yd line, and he pulled up and tagged him.  (Was the safety Reid Karel #36?) 

I thought that was the point that Verduzco was making.  That when Gebbia pulls it up and runs, he might make 8 or 10 yards but he's probably gonna take a big hit.  Or at least that's how I interpreted it.    :dunno

I think he was talking about Dismuke's poor angle; I don't think he even touched Gebbia. 

On 4/26/2018 at 6:37 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

The hardest thing to do with kids is to teach them how to use their feet and legs when they throw the ball.  I help coach youth baseball and all the kids with "strong arms" don't want to use their legs and core when they throw the ball.  They want to stand flat footed and whip the ball with their arm.  This causes inaccurate throws and arm trouble.  I am sure a lot of QB coaches have to deal with this when they deal with young QB's.

Plus 100 for youth baseball players.  The kids who had the strongest arms in grade school are the last ones to learn how to use their lower half in middle school.  A big part of the problem is they were rewarded with compliments for so long for throwing the ball hard with just their arm.  All that positive reinforcement and muscle memory is hard to correct and takes a lot of focused coaching and good reps. 

One thing I have noticed in the last 10 years or so is some high school coaches, probably at the demands of the QB's dad/mom, are allowing kids to throw off their back foot as a means of not putting the front leg/knee in jeopardy of getting hit during the follow through motion.  That certainly is a big potential risk when throwing with proper mechanics and why you see more and more pocket passers wearing a knee brace on front leg. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, NUance said:

What's crazy, at least to me anyhoo, is that we have what Coach Verduzco says--and we can't come to an agreement as to what he meant.

:facepalm:  :lol: