Kanye West is woke

12 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Anyone that has inhabited the lifestyle of Hollywood or the public eye just doesn't operate from the same basis as normal people. 

Like how Kanye can (erroneously) talk s#!t about Obama not doing anything for Chicago

What is Kanye doing for Chicago? 

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Like how Kanye can (erroneously) talk s#!t about Obama not doing anything for Chicago

What is Kanye doing for Chicago? 

I don't think there is much expectation for a Kanye West to do anything for Chicago. Whereas a high profile politician from the Chicago area rising to the office of President... I think it's fair game to make that statement. And I really don't know how valid the claim is but I sure would expect more in that regard from Obama than some clueless music guy.

BTW, I hate you for forcing me to comment on something I absolutely care nothing about :lol:

31 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah there are very few from Hollywood or entertainment that speak up for Repubs or against Dems. So yes, it's somewhat different. But I still just glaze over when any of them have anything to say. It's probably not fair of me but I just really, really don't care about their lives or opinions. Anyone that has inhabited the lifestyle of Hollywood or the public eye just doesn't operate from the same basis as normal people. Some of them may actually get something right once in awhile but I just tune it out and want it to stop. I feel much the same way about politicians. They're all playing by different rules and living in a much different reality than us common folk.

I don't disagree with any of this statement.  Hollywood is full of artists that paid no attention to history or science in school.  Many have not gone to college or had a hard working job in life.  Those who succeed live in gated communities and have daily body guards to keep the rife raft away.  They are not grounded in reality and their opinions should carry little weight.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Kanye is a huge influential star among the black community and was once thought as a future presidential candidate for the Democratic Party until this week and now he’s getting attack for his thoughts and views. I love it how he’s not backing down and I respect that. 

If you want to continue getting triggered in a thread that I started than maybe just stay out of it if you don’t like what I post in here :dunno

People saying you love that he is not backing down.  I think it’s more that he shares their opinion AND he’s not backing down. I say that because there are many people unapologetically against President Trump and you hear people say celebrities should keep their opinions to themselves and athletes should stick to sports. 

3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

To me what makes this different is that he he going the opposite direction of what the vast majority of Hollywood and the entertainment media endorses. His statements could and probably will hit him in the bank account.  He is telling other blacks that the democrat party has used them for too long and it is time for a change.

But what is the change? The GOP has an embarrassingly bad track record fighting for minorities. Don't even get me started on Trump himself. Is the solution just for black folks not to vote at all because Democrats haven't done enough? Then they have nobody representing their interests.

I mean I could say the same thing to working class rural white people who continue to vote R while the party empties their pockets out to give to their donors. 

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

But what is the change? The GOP has an embarrassingly bad track record fighting for minorities. Don't even get me started on Trump himself. Is the solution just for black folks not to vote at all because Democrats haven't done enough? Then they have nobody representing their interests.

I mean I could say the same thing to working class rural white people who continue to vote R while the party empties their pockets out to give to their donors. 

Change doesn't happen overnight.  Blacks need to quit assuming that "leaders" like Jesse Jackson and his ilk are representing their interests.  They need to find leaders like A Philip Randolph.  If neither party wants to give them a voice they should join with other grass roots organizations and start a third party with the idea of winning local elections and affect change there first. Figure out how to break the cycle of welfare dependence and gangs that fill the void of fatherless homes.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Change doesn't happen overnight.  Blacks need to quit assuming that "leaders" like Jesse Jackson and his ilk are representing their interests.  They need to find leaders like A Philip Randolph.  If neither party wants to give them a voice they should join with other grass roots organizations and start a third party with the idea of winning local elections and affect change there first. Figure out how to break the cycle of welfare dependence and gangs that fill the void of fatherless homes.

Created by systematic racism

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Figure out how to break the cycle of welfare dependence and gangs that fill the void of fatherless homes.

There is a very strong association between marijuana arrest rates starting with Nixon's war on drugs and fatherless homes in the Black community. Before the war on drugs the % of single parent families was very similar for Blacks and Whites, and despite similar marijuana usage, Blacks are arrested way more often.

Which party is trying to legalize marijuana? This is one of the few actions that seems extremely simple and could have a huge impact. I'm not claiming the Democratic party is doing it for Black people but reducing that arrest rate would be a wonderful side effect.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Jesse Jackson hasn't been very influential for almost a decade. We had Barack Obama in the white house for Christ sake. An African American man with a Havard education and a law degree, who is a loving father and husband. I think that's a pretty good leader.

• Plus1 7

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There is a very strong association between marijuana arrest rates starting with Nixon's war on drugs and fatherless homes in the Black community. Before the war on drugs the % of single parent families was very similar for Blacks and Whites, and despite similar marijuana usage, Blacks are arrested way more often.

Which party is trying to legalize marijuana? This is one of the few actions that seems extremely simple and could have a huge impact. I'm not claiming the Democratic party is doing it for Black people but reducing that arrest rate would be a wonderful side effect.

This reminds me of the Philadelphia DA (D), who is doing a master class in how to reform the criminal justice system.

Truly groundbreaking stuff. This is the type of real reform we need.

I’VE NEVER SEEN anything like this document. It’s a dream come true for those of us who’ve been fighting our hearts out for justice reform for years. Check out the document for yourself. I’ll amplify some of the highlights, but it’s best read in its entirety.

The first sentence says it all: “These policies are an effort to end mass incarcerations and bring balance back to sentencing.”

Then, under the heading “Decline Certain Charges,” Krasner immediately instructs prosecutors to stop prosecuting marijuana possession regardless of the weight. Furthermore, he instructed prosecutors to stop charging those with marijuana with any paraphernalia crimes.

Worth reading in its entirety. The breadth of what he's doing is nuts. Diversionary programs and house arrest instead of prison time whenever possible. Starting plea bargains from the LOW end of sentencing window and working up instead of vice versa. Making his prosecutors explicitly list the cost to taxpayers of sentencing people & justify why it's necessary. Changing the probation rules that nailed Meek Mill.

It's what he ran on doing and he's actually doing it. Simple concept, yet amazing to watch.

• Plus1 2