Kanye West is woke

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

To be real, if Chance really was just talking about Chicago, he's right. Chicago Democrats are probably the most slimy and corrupt group the party has to offer. Mike Madigan (IL Speaker of the House) is the definition of a power-hungry political operator who cares only about what is going to keep him in power & line his own pockets. He's pretty much the state equivalent of Mitch McConnell.

When you view his comment about Dems through that lens, as a guy who came up in Chicago & cares a ton about his city, it makes a lot more sense.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Change doesn't happen overnight.  Blacks need to quit assuming that "leaders" like Jesse Jackson and his ilk are representing their interests.  They need to find leaders like A Philip Randolph.  If neither party wants to give them a voice they should join with other grass roots organizations and start a third party with the idea of winning local elections and affect change there first. Figure out how to break the cycle of welfare dependence and gangs that fill the void of fatherless homes.

I think gangs, welfare dependence and fatherless homes are convenient shorthand for blaming blacks for their own problems. It's not untrue, but it's more symptom than choice, and there are tons of moving parts.

But the second part of this is interesting.

It really would be fascinating if black Americans started a third party, concentrated on local elections, and forced Democrats and Republicans to earn their vote rather than take them for granted.

Unfortunately it would only work in a Parliamentary system, where multiple parties have to form coalitions in order to take specific action.

A third party of blacks and like-minded organizations in America would merely split the Dems, making life easier and elections cheaper for Republicans. Maybe that's your thinking all along. I don't know. Like you suggest, the change we need will take another generation or three. 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's also interesting how often the word "Chicago" is used in any attempt to discredit liberal thinking as a whole. 

Yes! I don't get it. And why is it always brought up in convos about Obama? The president isn't all ppwerful, and why would his policies focus on one city? And if they had the Right would've had a fit, as they did on anything and everything he ever said/did.

2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

To be real, if Chance really was just talking about Chicago, he's right. Chicago Democrats are probably the most slimy and corrupt group the party has to offer. Mike Madigan (IL Speaker of the House) is the definition of a power-hungry political operator who cares only about what is going to keep him in power & line his own pockets. He's pretty much the state equivalent of Mitch McConnell.

When you view his comment about Dems through that lens, as a guy who came up in Chicago & cares a ton about his city, it makes a lot more sense.

What?!?!?  Chicago is the cleanest of all cities when it comes to politics.  

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yes! I don't get it. And why is it always brought up in convos about Obama? The president isn't all ppwerful, and why would his policies focus on one city? And if they had the Right would've had a fit, as they did on anything and everything he ever said/did.

It's a convenient straw man to point at and say "Look, Democratic policies don't even work! [Not even in inner cities!]" The subtext being a lazy way of Democrats have failed minorities. Even in the bluest of blue areas, violence & crime still run rampant. Of course, they don't really care what statistics about crime actually bear out, or why gun violence still occurs in Chicago despite being a blue state, they just want an easy target to hammer. 

This version of the GOP is just too intellectually lazy and dishonest to hold any interest for me.

And that's not me saying Dems are faultless. They're just generally more amenable to evidence & wrong within the normal parameters.

Not only do I generally disagree with them on policy, but Donald Trump's Republican Party is just soooo much further gone in terms of being equal parts dishonest, feelings-based, impulsive, corrupt, subservient to their leader & generally morally gutless.

The GOP badly needs to burst into flame & arise from the ashes.

• Plus1 2

Minorities voting for Democrats is the best self-serving option. It's not as if Democratic politicians care about minorities. They don't. They care about themselves, their own power, their own success, and they'll leverage that.

But it's a much better option for minority voters. It's a damn shame, but it's where we're at. And living in Chicago (and getting my hands at least a little bit dirty in the poor/unsavory parts of the city), the amount of disenfranchisement and resentment towards politicians on both sides of the aisle is very strong.

But, regardless, Obama has done a lot for Chicago, and is still doing a ton. Kanye doesn't have to do anything for Chicago, but if you're not going to, then don't use Chicago as a prop for your own ideology, as if you care.

You'll all make fun of me for this, but I genuinely know nothing about Kanye West. I know the name, I know he's married to Kim Kardashian, they have kids, and he's a musician. I have no idea about this guy other than this.  So when this whole Kanye situation came up, I ignored it because the guy isn't on my radar.  I live a Kanye-free life. :D

So in that context I see this video that got retweeted onto my timeline.  This is Kanye West? 

• Plus1 2

Yeah...that's Kanye

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I live a Kanye-free life.

Be happy.  Really, the only other thing I know about him is that he makes an ass out of himself at various awards shows.

Knowing about Kanye is a symptom of having teenage girls in the house that watched the Kardashians.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

You'll all make fun of me for this, but I genuinely know nothing about Kanye West. I know the name, I know he's married to Kim Kardashian, they have kids, and he's a musician. I have no idea about this guy other than this.  So when this whole Kanye situation came up, I ignored it because the guy isn't on my radar.  I live a Kanye-free life. :D

So in that context I see this video that got retweeted onto my timeline.  This is Kanye West? 

Yup. That's him. He is extremely gifted musically, no doubt about it. He's also, as Obama so eloquently put it, a jackass. It still baffles me how someone so talented and creative can be such a flipping idiot.

• Plus1 1

He's a bona fide musical genius who has as many moments of enlightened perspective as he does of being a self-destructive idiot a-hole. That's what's really entertaining about it. He's so hot and cold, and creates some amazing art/products/thoughts/conversations, and then he does the most ridiculous stuff and can't get out of his way. And, to his credit, he knows that that is true about himself. He owns it, he celebrates it. 

He's cool in my book. As far as celebrities that I don't care much about and don't know personally go.